+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing and Goods to Follow

MB8489

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
Hey, I have done my soft landing. The officer didn't ask me for any goods to accompany or follow list. When I checked with the officer, she told me that once I decide to settle for more than a year then I need to submit it at later stage when I come.

Hope this clarifies your queries.

Thanks
Hi rish

Thank u so much for the clarification.. so u didn't make a back up list just in case they ask ?

Rish_1506

Jul 20, 2019
I did have my list as printout just in case they ask..I had just listed down all items in excel sheet with their CAD value (estimated approximate) for both accompanying and follow..as people had recommended on this forum.

Thanks

Hi rish

Thank u so much for the clarification.. so u didn't make a back up list just in case they ask ?

MB8489

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
I did have my list as printout just in case they ask..I had just listed down all items in excel sheet with their CAD value (estimated approximate) for both accompanying and follow..as people had recommended on this forum.

Thanks
Ok from my understanding u did take some goods with u that u declared.. may I kno what kinds...electronics / apparels? Kitchenware , books ? I would like a rough idea

I am planning on taking my books and glassware or small home decors .
How do I attest a value for these ?

And did u by any chance take a few set of gold or silver items with u ? ( those u categorized as accompanying? )

Rish_1506

Jul 20, 2019
So in my goods to accompany list, I had listed electronics like my phone, portable charger etc- and value basis their make and model..apparels - all kinds under clothing and listed total approx value as per my understanding, books again - listed as just books with approx value...did not take any kitchenware with me..decorative items again listed as common header of decor items with approx value.
I did not take along any gold / silver items so don't know about that..

Follow list was more or less similar except a few items here and there..

Thanks

Reactions: MB8489

MB8489

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
So in my goods to accompany list, I had listed electronics like my phone, portable charger etc- and value basis their make and model..apparels - all kinds under clothing and listed total approx value as per my understanding, books again - listed as just books with approx value...did not take any kitchenware with me..decorative items again listed as common header of decor items with approx value.
I did not take along any gold / silver items so don't know about that..

Follow list was more or less similar except a few items here and there..

Thanks
Thank u so much for your valuable info rish !

Darksith79

Jan 15, 2018
hello Guys,

i wanted to have your opinion on my situation and maybe get some advice :
i did a soft landing on July 2018 and submitted a goods to follow list at the time, now i am planning to do my final move on may 2020, the thing is during that period of time the content of my goods to follow has changed and i have acquired new things to bring along, my question is : can i submit a new goods to follow list during my next landing since this is when i will really establish my residence and become a settler, is the previous GTF list registered in the CBSA system of is it just a signed paper form?

thanks in advance for any insight

sonofagun

Jan 10, 2020
Hey, I have done my soft landing. The officer didn't ask me for any goods to accompany or follow list. When I checked with the officer, she told me that once I decide to settle for more than a year then I need to submit it at later stage when I come.

Hope this clarifies your queries.

Thanks
Hey,

Which airport was this at? I would like to go there too since the customs officers seem to understand the rules, rather than try explaining to someone who doesn't.

canadian_pr_1

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
I have a question about the soft landing.We completed our soft landing on March 14.We didn't know about the " list of goods to follow", so didn't have one.As per my understanding, we will have to pay taxes on all the undeclared stuff we bring when we eventually move to Canada. Is there any other form we can/should fill to hopefully avoid this? Appreciate any guidance

Thanks

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
I have a question about the soft landing.We completed our soft landing on March 14.We didn't know about the " list of goods to follow", so didn't have one.As per my understanding, we will have to pay taxes on all the undeclared stuff we bring when we eventually move to Canada. Is there any other form we can/should fill to hopefully avoid this? Appreciate any guidance

Thanks
Not a problem. Bring a list when you move permanently and ask to see customs. The settler's exemption, as per the goods reporting form BSF186, applies to new immigrants "entering Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a permanent residence for a period in excess of 12 months." CBSA sometimes confuses your status for immigration purposes ("becoming a PR"-- i.e., when you landed) with your status for customs purposes ("becoming a resident"-- i.e., moving to Canada) and asks you to complete your list when you land even if you're not moving yet; some people also just choose to do it when they first land. If they question you, show them the relevant section on the BSF186.

Reactions: canadian_pr_1

canadian_pr_1

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Not a problem. Bring a list when you move permanently and ask to see customs. The settler's exemption, as per the goods reporting form BSF186, applies to new immigrants "entering Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a permanent residence for a period in excess of 12 months." CBSA sometimes confuses your status for immigration purposes ("becoming a PR"-- i.e., when you landed) with your status for customs purposes ("becoming a resident"-- i.e., moving to Canada) and asks you to complete your list when you land even if you're not moving yet; some people also just choose to do it when they first land. If they question you, show them the relevant section on the BSF186.
Thanks a lot for your reply.Just a follow up question; when you say "ask to see customs" do we ask the border agents? we plan to move via road.During our soft landing, we didn't see any custom offices at the border.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Thanks a lot for your reply.Just a follow up question; when you say "ask to see customs" do we ask the border agents? we plan to move via road.During our soft landing, we didn't see any custom offices at the border.
Yeah, when you pull up to the window to cross the border, have your list ready and tell the agent that you're moving for the first time and you have items you want to declare. It will depend on which border crossing you use but they should be able to tell you where you need to go or what you need to do to declare them. Not sure how COVID-19 is affecting stuff currently.

canadian_pr_1

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Yeah, when you pull up to the window to cross the border, have your list ready and tell the agent that you're moving for the first time and you have items you want to declare. It will depend on which border crossing you use but they should be able to tell you where you need to go or what you need to do to declare them. Not sure how COVID-19 is affecting stuff currently.
Thanks a lot!

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
Hi..
My husband and I did a soft landing two days back and we got our goods accompanying list and goods to follow list stamped. And the customs officer gave us a printed bill which we can show to the transportation company when we bring our goods to Canada. I have the following questions:

1) We plan to go back to USA once the quarantine is over. So once we return and come back to Canada maybe the next year and say I have purchased a new laptop or any item which is not on the goods to follow list which is already stamped by the customs, how do I go about the new purchased items? Do I make a new list of goods accompanying and goods to follow and get it stamped when I enter again to settle permanently?

2) We have a pet dog and since we did a soft landing we didn’t bring her with us and I didn’t declare her in GTF list as well. So when we permanently move I should just import her with her paperwork ? Or are there any other process ?

3) We do not have a car now but looking to buy one and take it when we permanently settle in Canada. So how do we go about that? it will be a new purchase after our return from Canada to USA.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Hi..
My husband and I did a soft landing two days back and we got our goods accompanying list and goods to follow list stamped. And the customs officer gave us a printed bill which we can show to the transportation company when we bring our goods to Canada. I have the following questions:

1) We plan to go back to USA once the quarantine is over. So once we return and come back to Canada maybe the next year and say I have purchased a new laptop or any item which is not on the goods to follow list which is already stamped by the customs, how do I go about the new purchased items? Do I make a new list of goods accompanying and goods to follow and get it stamped when I enter again to settle permanently?

2) We have a pet dog and since we did a soft landing we didn’t bring her with us and I didn’t declare her in GTF list as well. So when we permanently move I should just import her with her paperwork ? Or are there any other process ?

3) We do not have a car now but looking to buy one and take it when we permanently settle in Canada. So how do we go about that? it will be a new purchase after our return from Canada to USA.
1) you need to pay tax for all the goods that are not on list (and I am not sure you can modify the list after submission)
2) you can bring the dog with all paper works, it should not be a problem
3) you need to pay tax for the car you purchased in USA (same as 1)

Reactions: SaraRahul