+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing and Goods to Follow

steve_kat

Oct 14, 2016
App. Filed.......
06-07-2017
Can anyone tell me if you need a goods to follow list when doing a soft landing. I assumed it would only be required when you physically move.

Thanks
Steve.

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
You are correct. You should only use the B4 and BSF-186 forms when you plan on being a settler. (Moving to Canada for a minimum of 1 year)

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
No such thing as a soft landing in the eyes of IRCC. Landing is landing and your list of goods to follow is required at the time of landing, otherwise you will need to pay tax when the goods are brought in.

Reactions: WeegieInOttawa

steve_kat

Oct 14, 2016
App. Filed.......
06-07-2017
No such thing as a soft landing in the eyes of IRCC. Landing is landing and your list of goods to follow is required at the time of landing, otherwise you will need to pay tax when the goods are brought in.
In that case we need to make an inventory of items to come through the border a few months later. Does that mean we will have to pay duty on something that was acquired during those months? How detailed does this inventory have to be? When we physically move everything will be in boxes and it would be quite difficult to tie those boxes back to the original list.

Steve

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Cic is not cbsa.
You can be a pr without settling immediately.

I'm not at a computer right now. I'll give a fuller answer with context a bit later

Last edited:

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
KBH is correct that CIC does not make a distinction between soft or hard landing when becoming a PR, but CBSA does.

Here is all the nitty gritty details from CBSA.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Essentially what can be drawn from this document is:
When you move to Canada and you bring all your stuff, you will be declaring everything under Tariff 9807 known as Settler's Effects
Who are Considered Settlers?
1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 of the Schedule to the Customs Tariff, settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing for the first time a residence for a period of not less than 12 months.

Variation Between Customs/Immigration Legislation
9. A person's status for customs purposes is not always the same as their status for immigration purposes.

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.

Here's a bit more that is easier to read than the actual tariff
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html

When you soft land you still need to use a regular declaration card (if flying in) or verbally declare what you have if driving in as you normally would if you were visiting.

@KBH
Applying Tariff 9803 is where I think some people get confused. For PR purposes, 9803 affects INLAND PR applicants and not OUTLAND
An excerpt https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-1-1-eng.html

Application for Permanent Resident Status
66. Temporary residents, who intend to change their status with CIC, to work in Canada for more than 36 months or to apply for permanent resident status at an inland office, must report to the CBSA immediately in order to permanently account for their goods. The acquittal of the temporary status and the completion of a Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document will be required. For example, a temporary resident who makes application for permanent resident (landed immigrant) status or to work in Canada for more than 36 months is then classified as a "settler" for customs purposes, and is no longer eligible to import goods on a temporary basis as a temporary resident. Refer to Memorandum D2-2-1, Settlers' Effects – Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00, for information on the entitlements available to settlers.

steve_kat

Oct 14, 2016
App. Filed.......
06-07-2017
I am still a bit confused so will need to read the details in your links. Our application was outbound since my wife and I both currently live in the US.

We wanted to soft land a week before we come through with the moving truck. We also live very close to the border.

Steve

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
I see. I should have asked those details. Many people who soft land turn around and wait outside Canada for a few months (especially those who need to fly in and actually have their PR card forwarded to them). Some people I've seen soft land and then stayed in their home country for over a year before coming to move permanently in Canada.

To avoid the confusion, is it an option to not soft land and simply land with the moving truck and B4 form ready all in one swoop?. (Assuming at that point you'd have everything in the truck and therefore no goods to follow)

Reactions: KBH

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
If there's only going to be a week difference I am almost certain that the CBSA would press you if you stated you had a moving truck coming in one week's time but you were not declaring any goods to follow. It sounds like it would be much easier for you to land with the moving truck and all your goods declared

Reactions: jordo

steve_kat

Oct 14, 2016
App. Filed.......
06-07-2017
I see. I should have asked those details. Many people who soft land turn around and wait outside Canada for a few months (especially those who need to fly in and actually have their PR card forwarded to them). Some people I've seen soft land and then stayed in their home country for over a year before coming to move permanently in Canada.

To avoid the confusion, is it an option to not soft land and simply land with the moving truck and B4 form ready all in one swoop?. (Assuming at that point you'd have everything in the truck and therefore no goods to follow)
Yes, I agree that sounds like a better idea. We also plan to sell our US car and therefore not import it. I assume it would then also be better plan to have a rental car when we cross.

Steve

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Yes, I agree that sounds like a better idea. We also plan to sell our US car and therefore not import it. I assume it would then also be better plan to have a rental car when we cross.

Steve
Yup, if you are selling the US car, definitely don't attempt to drive it in. It will give you trouble beyond what it's worth. I dealt with some drama trying to drive in my car and not import it yet

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK

Steve
Yes, you can drive a rental in. The rental company you choose may have their own policy though.

Reactions: sam3218

steve_kat

Oct 14, 2016
App. Filed.......
06-07-2017
Yes, you can drive a rental in. The rental company you choose may have their own policy though.
I was thinking of renting the car on the Canadian side just before we sell our old car in the US.

Steve