+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing and Goods to Follow

Rajan Arora

Feb 7, 2016
The CDN citizen returning can bring personal possessions back to Canada duty free, the items have to be bought more than 6 months prior to returning home, I don't think there is a $$ limit of what can be brought. As mentioned above my understanding is an Immigrant who has not completed a GTF list that their possessions can be/will be taxed at fair market value. I think the biggest concern would be if you have a lot of valuables like jewellery, gold, paintings, etc. All the info should be available on Canada Customs web site. Start with this link:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html
thanks much for the info but we are not citizen. we did stay there for couple of days at initial landing and not sure about GTF. Now we have stayed more than a year outside of canada, we can take our clothing and kitchen stuff without taxes or we need to pay. Is there any tarrif where we can get exception for this??

peace365

Star Member
May 22, 2014
Hello there,
I am planning to land (soft landing) as PR sometime in Oct and I am currently in the US. I will be driving my car and wondering if the car has to be listed on BSF 186 (goods accompanying) or BSF 186A (goods to follow)?
Thank you!

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
Hello there,
I am planning to land (soft landing) as PR sometime in Oct and I am currently in the US. I will be driving my car and wondering if the car has to be listed on BSF 186 (goods accompanying) or BSF 186A (goods to follow)?
Thank you!
Hi, be aware that soft landing will not be allowed until the border restriction are in place. You need to provide plans for a permanent move and a quarantine period. I would not expect such limitations to be lifted before next year.

That said, from my understanding goods accompanying refers to goods that you have with you when landing, while goods to follow refers to goods that you will bring in a second moment. Additionally, for exporting/importing a car, you should read some other posts in this forum (such as this or this).

peace365

Star Member
May 22, 2014
Thank you matteosc.
I did read some of the posts on this forum but wanted a clarification from someone who landed as immigrant by driving across the border.

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
Thank you matteosc.
I did read some of the posts on this forum but wanted a clarification from someone who landed as immigrant by driving across the border.
I did not land, but in this post there are experiences of people which import their vehicle successfully. I hope it helps.

arunnair465

Jun 9, 2020
For curious folks..
I have an official written statement (email) directly from CBSA.

1. You don't need to submit BSF186-A (Goods to Follow) when you soft land. (Currently Canada is not allowing soft landing as far as my knowledge).
2. Even if you have provided a BSF186-A (Goods to Follow) when you did your soft landing, you can replace that with a "New" Goods to Follow List when you move in as a settler.

Hope this helps.

Canadianspirit

Feb 2, 2017
Hello guys I have question regarding money savings transfer to Canada from overseas as tax exempted. How do you include that? Thanks