+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Social media conversation translation

GladiatorAnc

Nov 27, 2020
I am sponsoring my wife from Brazil and we have to translate social media conversations and posts along with our online chats and letters. I am fluent in English, French and Portuguese. Can I translate all social media messages since they are not legal documents? Could I translate our travel and wedding receipts as well?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am sponsoring my wife from Brazil and we have to translate social media conversations and posts along with our online chats and letters. I am fluent in English, French and Portuguese. Can I translate all social media messages since they are not legal documents? Could I translate our travel and wedding receipts as well?
No need of course to translate english or french docs including chats.

No, you can't do translations on your own.

GladiatorAnc

Nov 27, 2020
No need of course to translate english or french docs including chats.

No, you can't do translations on your own.
So every translations has to be certified? Going to be expensive when every Portuguese receipts is going to cost me $25 per translation...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So every translations has to be certified? Going to be expensive when every Portuguese receipts is going to cost me $25 per translation...
Yep. You can double-check the requirements, of course.

My suggestion would be to cut down the volume of docs you provide and focus on quality.

If your case is fairly straightforward, it may be that you can leave out some things.

Don't know your case but e.g. you're married so you can focus less on providing docs to meet the minimum time residing together test.

Depends on how long you've known each other, time spent physically together, etc.

But no mistake, if your application depends on the documentation, pay to have it translated acc to requirements. If in doubt, keep in mind that things not done correctly or insufficient documentation can lead to delays and problems later.

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
Yep. You can double-check the requirements, of course.

My suggestion would be to cut down the volume of docs you provide and focus on quality.

If your case is fairly straightforward, it may be that you can leave out some things.

Don't know your case but e.g. you're married so you can focus less on providing docs to meet the minimum time residing together test.

Depends on how long you've known each other, time spent physically together, etc.

But no mistake, if your application depends on the documentation, pay to have it translated acc to requirements. If in doubt, keep in mind that things not done correctly or insufficient documentation can lead to delays and problems later.
"If in doubt, keep in mind that things not done correctly or insufficient documentation can lead to delays and problems later."

This is most important. What seems like more expense and hassle will pay off because you will be submitting a full and complete application. That benefits you in the long run. Items like copies of receipts don't need translation but official documents need to be translated and certified. Chats that are not in english or french also should be translated officially. I spent hundreds of dollars on certified translation for Spanish to English.

Reactions: armoured

GladiatorAnc

Nov 27, 2020
"If in doubt, keep in mind that things not done correctly or insufficient documentation can lead to delays and problems later."

This is most important. What seems like more expense and hassle will pay off because you will be submitting a full and complete application. That benefits you in the long run. Items like copies of receipts don't need translation but official documents need to be translated and certified. Chats that are not in english or french also should be translated officially. I spent hundreds of dollars on certified translation for Spanish to English.
You’re right, by the look of it I’ll spent about $250 for translation, but guess it’s worth it considering it’s a one time investment. Did you send untranslated receipts along with your application?

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
You’re right, by the look of it I’ll spent about $250 for translation, but guess it’s worth it considering it’s a one time investment. Did you send untranslated receipts along with your application?
I didn't have any receipts per se. I had flight itineraries and boarding asses as proof of travel to my wife's country and things like that. Not translated.
Items that are proof for things like marriage certificates, official documents that are necessary should translated. I had to have a 25 page marriage document from Colombia translated. Not cheap.