+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

So, what are all the steps I need to take as an American?

astridpierce

Jun 9, 2008
I apologize if this question has been answered several times. I just haven't found it yet. At least not in a clear cut format.
I'm an American that is considering moving to Vancouver. What exactly are all the steps I would have to take to be able to make this move? Would I have to become a citizen? (I would have no problem with that). And what would I have to do to work there legally? On average, how long does this process for everything take?

I'm planning on moving there with my band. I heard they offer government grants for the arts in Canada. Would my band be eligible recipients of one of these grants if we moved there and became citizens? Also, how good are these grants usually?

I greatly appreciate your help!

imjoe

Star Member
Nov 28, 2007
Can't give you the specifics because I'm not qualified... but I will tell you what I know.

First as a warning I will tell you it will take a loooooong time, years most probably.

You will become a resident (you need to be a resident in Canada for 3 out of 4 years in order to qualify for citicenship)

You need to either be sponsored (family, a company etc...) or go as a skilled worker, you will need to get a certain number of points to qualify to even be evaluated.

Go do the exam at the CIC website.

astridpierce

Jun 9, 2008
Would just take years to become a citizen? If I just want to be a resident would it still take that long? I'm sure I'll have to get a visa first, about how long does that take?

bobine

May 5, 2008
it will take you at least 1 or 2 years to get the visa if you applied under skilled worker ( just to get the visa and be resident).and then if you reside there for 3 to 4 years you can apply for citizenship!
to get some idea about the whole process go to :www.cic.gc.ca/english