+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

so many questions...

can_swim

Star Member
Aug 1, 2015
Plus, TN is not an immigrant visa either. To get back into the US immigration queue you might need the H1B (I think, not sure, but I believe this is the case).
Thanks! I wont look to immigrate once a Canadian citizen, TN provides most things that I need (primarily flexibility to work without a visa headache).

can_swim

Star Member
Aug 1, 2015
TN visas do not allow the spouse of the holder to work. But they are relatively straightforward to get once the occupation of the job offer is on the list.

I agree with other replies, you should decide if Canada or USA is where you want to settle and stick with that. Trying to keep one foot in both is hard and time consuming.
But that's the rub, even If I decide Canada, there's no guaranteeing that I wont be reported. This is the primary cause of my dilemma. Wish there was a way IRCC could tell me in binary, if my plan to stay there for two years would work or not.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
But that's the rub, even If I decide Canada, there's no guaranteeing that I wont be reported. This is the primary cause of my dilemma. Wish there was a way IRCC could tell me in binary, if my plan to stay there for two years would work or not.
Unfortunately you won't know until you try to enter Canada.

So you should prepare for both scenarios i.e. you will be reported (plan of action), will not be reported (plan of action)

And then take it from there.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Thanks! I wont look to immigrate once a Canadian citizen, TN provides most things that I need (primarily flexibility to work without a visa headache).
I would recommend that you research TN visa a little more.

I remember reading somewhere that while in theory TN can be renewed an unlimited number of times, but in practice a lot of times it gets stopped if they suspect that you are trying to make a career out of it permanently.

But I am not at all an expert in TN visa and you should do your research on it before making a commitment based on the easy availability of TN (and most of the renewal rejections that I have read about come in the field of IT).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In terms of TN visas the world is a crazy place so you can never guarantee that visa programs will be the same 5 years down the road.

Your big obstacle is your child. Getting to Canada is not guaranteed and if you enter Canada without being reported you need to remain in Canada without leaving for 2 years. This may also be an issue for your employment. Assume your employer will want you to come into the office at least yearly if not more.

Reactions: armoured

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Correct. That's exactly your situation.

This is the consequnce of your decision to live outside of Canada and not meet the residency requirement for your Canadian PR status.

IRCC will not tell you in binary in advance. You will find out when you arrive at the border.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I am at a point in time where I am really being forced to make decision due to immigration changes in the US. I am an Indian citizen with a Canadian PR (start date: Feb 2017, expiration date: Mar 2022) currently on a L1A (executive visa) working for a US employer with residence in the USA. Further, our US green card has been applied for under the EB1-C category with an approved I-140 (priority date March 2019).
CAVEAT: I am not much familiar with the various types of temporary status that allows individuals to work or live in the U.S. So, in particular, I do not know who is affected or to what extent. BUT . . .

CAUTION: to the extent that deciding what to do depends on options to live or work in the U.S. BE AWARE that the Trump administration is again dramatically trimming or restricting many of those options. Lots of contingencies and some further caveats. That administration often rattles swords it never takes from the sheath. But in immigration matters, it has tended to follow through with much of what is threatened. The recent sword-rattling sounds draconian. As if there will be major cutbacks regarding, at least, Green Cards, as well as H-1B, H-2B, and L-1 visas. I am not clear whether the changes will affect the renewal of status or only access to new grants. Obviously, for those potentially affected, best to explore this at official U.S. sources and other reliable websites with information about U.S. immigration policies and practices.

Obviously, overall, given the pending election in that **** of a country, and the possibility that Trump could have a second term, which in turn could mean further and long-term restrictions on access to status to live or work there, this too is something to consider if the option to live or work in the U.S. is a significant factor in planning for the future.