Soon!
Got my academic IELTS results today:

9.0 - Listening
9.0 - Reading
7.5 - Writing :mad:
9.0 - Speaking
===========
8.5 - Overall

Came painstakingly close to a perfect overall 9.0 band score (0.5 more in writing would have done the job), but whatever. Never knew my writing was this bad. Below is my experience along with some tips:

Listening
Been watching Hollywood movies ever since I was a kid. I thought this would be a piece of cake - American and Canadian accents are very similar after all. Then I found out that the IELTS was a common exam for English speaking countries all over the world and that the listening test had a variety of international accents, not just Canadian. (Duh. The "IE" in IELTS stands for "International English".) As a result, I practised listening to various English/Australian/New Zealander accents on YouTube. The rest of my practice came from CDs that I'd received after registering for the IELTS. Once you've had enough practice, all you need is concentration during the actual exam and you should do just fine. Just make sure you have a decent writing speed, especially for those "NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS" questions, since the speaker might quickly get to the next answer while you're still busy writing down the current one.

Reading
This might come as a shock to you, but READ ALL THE PASSAGES. Every single person you go to for IELTS advice will tell you to skim and not read and that there's not enough time. BULLROAR, I say. There IS enough time. Reading each passage thoroughly before you get to the questions makes the questions so much easier to answer. During my practice tests, I used to consistently clock anywhere between 50-55 minutes for all 3 passages and I rarely made any mistakes. This, of course, depends on your reading ability. If you're not very confident with English as a language, I suggest you go with the skimming method.

Writing
I read a lot of model answers but never actually practised writing. I guess my band score reflects that :(

Speaking
I am a native English speaker born and raised in India. I speak English with my family and majority of my friends. I am also proof that people outside of USA/Canada/UK/Australia/NZ can achieve a perfect 9.0 score in this section. Speak slowly and clearly. Avoid using slang/colloquialisms. Speak as much as possible so that the examiner knows you can hold a conversation. The topic I was given was "a memorable trip". I looked at the question for about 5 seconds and started speaking. The examiner seemed surprised but did not interrupt me. I ended up saying "you know what I mean?" a couple of times (force of habit!), but I think the examiner decided to let that slide.

Overall, I'd say the IELTS is a very easy exam and requires little preparation. Although both U.S. English and actual English are permitted, I strongly advise future test takers to use the latter. If anyone has any questions, please post them here (not via PM) so that others may also benefit from the ensuing discussion.

hime

Jun 15, 2012
Canada
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
LANDED..........
22-05-2015
WoW, this is great.

world.citizen

Star Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
10-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
Soon!
Thanks! Yep, I'm happy too. Wasn't expecting an overall 9.0 score anyway, but didn't think I'd come this close to getting one either! In fact, I was pretty sure one of my listening answers was wrong; still got a 9.0 somehow. Would've happily sacrificed 0.5 of my listening for an 8.0 in writing. 7.5 really hurt. My writing is really not that bad.

world.citizen

Star Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
10-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
Soon!
UPDATE: Thanks to a combination of persistence, persuasiveness and contacts ;), I managed to find out why I scored so less on my writing section: "failed to reach minimum word count".

F*ck.

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
@World Citizen

First of all congratulations buddy for grabbing the shot of IELTS!

I am also looking for next year intake and currently active member on this forum :) Could you help me over the below mentioned Queries :

1> Please share IELTS study materials as I have just started preparing or you can refer to any links which you find most useful.

2> If you have prepared your SOP n LOR , Could you please mail the scanned version for reference ?

3> Keeping the Budget factor in mind ( as limited ), What would you suggest - Masters or 2 year PG Diploma ( 2 year because of PR )

Profile :

B.Tech in Electronics 2010 pass out with 73 %
IT Sector Work experience for 2+ year in Testing domain
Not very much inclined to Research line and want to land myself again in Job Market after finishing up my studies.

4>Any IT related course along with College/Univ, you might want to share.

world.citizen

Star Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
10-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
Soon!
mayank_6 said:
@ World Citizen

First of all congratulations buddy for grabbing the shot of IELTS!

I am also looking for next year intake and currently active member on this forum :) Could you help me over the below mentioned Queries :

1> Please share IELTS study materials as I have just started preparing or you can refer to any links which you find most useful.

2> If you have prepared your SOP n LOR , Could you please mail the scanned version for reference ?

3> Keeping the Budget factor in mind ( as limited ), What would you suggest - Masters or 2 year PG Diploma ( 2 year because of PR )

Profile :

B.Tech in Electronics 2010 pass out with 73 %
IT Sector Work experience for 2+ year in Testing domain
Not very much inclined to Research line and want to land myself again in Job Market after finishing up my studies.

4>Any IT related course along with College/Univ, you might want to share.
1) The only online study material for me was YouTube (listening). Everything else was paper-based.
2) I did not prepare/send either of those. They're not required for SPP.
3) Diploma.
4) My line of work is web development. I don't really know much about other fields.

aram_golbaghi

Jul 1, 2009
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2010
Doc's Request.
10-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-08-2010
Med's Request
19-04-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
it is a great score
your writing needs improvements though, but still you rock in it ...

J

JobanSandhu

You nearly nailed IELTS.

Congratulations on your result. Your marks are superb.

Warp23

Star Member
Aug 11, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2012
LANDED..........
03-09-2012

pra

Aug 13, 2015
Hello World Citizen,

Could you please share which documents you have read. It will be very useful.

Thanks in advance