+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Small town immigration and I'm the only minority.

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
One week ago an indian dude started a conversation with me in safeway. That's absolutely disgusting, tbh. I don't give a damn who is this person, who his wife is and how hard he's working. I was acting politely as usual, saying some brief words and smiling a lot but I felt completely offended. We wished a good one to each other and this creep has finally gone. This person is nobody to me, he has to stay away and mind his own business. I told this story so you could understand that there's a very high possibility that you gonna make your "potential" friend feel distracted and offended. It's not about nationality or racism, it's about a comfort zone that is pretty much different for north europeans (white canadians are mostly british, german and dutch) and asians/africans.
I communicate only with my parents, wife and colleagues. Google "people at bus stop in finland" so you could understand how a comfort zone works for non-minorities.
Just dont understand why people from "first" world countries migrate to "1.5" world countries like Canada and then crib.

I was in Nordic(Stockholm) for couple of yrs. Just beauty of a place with high salaries, free medical, excellent transportation and modern cosmopolitan outlook.

StonicStone

Jan 5, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
22-02-2017 (Passed: 20-04-2017)
My family moved to a very small town in Nova Scotia and there are almost no minorities here. I feel a bit lonely and don't know what to do... Anyone on same situation? I want to know what you did :(
Don't worry..there is always ice hockey as an ice-breaker

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just dont understand why people from "first" world countries migrate to "1.5" world countries like Canada and then crib.

I was in Nordic(Stockholm) for couple of yrs. Just beauty of a place with high salaries, free medical, excellent transportation and modern cosmopolitan outlook.
Let Stockholm hold the winter games instead of Calgary.

Melchett

Star Member
Nov 2, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
16-07-2018

Canada is a G7 country and very much first world, thank you very much.

Why did you move out of Stockholm if you liked it so much?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Wow, some of the answers on here are eye watering. If you go to another country and then blast people for talking to you, why come in the first place? I'm from Scotland and I moved to a rural place in Newfoundland where people are a bit suspicious of newcomers, but I won them over with talking to them!

Reactions: Melchett

Melchett

Star Member
Nov 2, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
16-07-2018
Wow, some of the answers on here are eye watering. If you go to another country and then blast people for talking to you, why come in the first place? I'm from Scotland and I moved to a rural place in Newfoundland where people are a bit suspicious of newcomers, but I won them over with talking to them!
That Ridge guy was utterly chauvinistic in his now-deleted comment. For some reasons he thinks Canadians should adapt to his "North-East European" standard. He should move back to where his unfriendly ways are appreciated.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
That Ridge guy was utterly chauvinistic in his now-deleted comment. For some reasons he thinks Canadians should adapt to his "North-East European" standard. He should move back to where his unfriendly ways are appreciated.
This is why many of the seniors on here quote the post that they are responding to. It allows everyone to see the context of the replies.

Reactions: Melchett

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
To OP, if you are into sports, that is one way to get to meet folks. Ice hockey has many followers like Football in US. Get to know any sport, pick a team, go to bar. But don't force it, do it out of interest.

Canada is great to try some winter sports, try ice skating, snowboarding. If you have never tried, look for an lessons in a near by ice rink. It takes some time but it will keep you busy while having fun. If you want to take it easy, plan a day of outdoor activity a long hike etc, you will also get to meet folks in the process. Finally, don't relegate yourself to a minor group on any basis. Be yourself, have fun and explore.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Haven't you thought may be because you are Scottish? I mean of course you have make initiative, but someone else could have done the same, but not accepted. Europeans adapt and accepted better than others. I understand it's not easy to accept others, but it makes it very difficult for immigrants to integrate. I think that's why you find communities in Canada, and each one goes to their community where they are accepted. Also there is a growing anti-immigration sentiment in Canada especially after president Trump took office, which makes people of color think they are not welcomed, and thus not making any effort to talk with Canadians.

To OP, if you are working, make connections through work, maybe. You will have something to talk about. Personally, I think work is the best place to integrate newcomers, and school is the best place for their children.
Maybe it's because we try to adapt. What's the point in coming to a new country and not trying to integrate? If I didn't want to experience new things and live the Newfoundland lifestyle, I would have just stayed in Scotland. You do know Canada and America are two very diffferent countries in attitudes and such. Trump taking office and his views does not necessarily mean Canada shares the same view.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
When I talk about race here, my posts are marked somehow (I don't know if it's automatic or someone mark them).
There is nothing automatic. People report posts that they find offensive/rude/spamming/incorrect/etc. If the mods agree, the posts are deleted.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think the difference between Canada and US is that in the US things are more overt and clear, while in Canada it is more covert and under the surface. In Canada people are not allowed to talk about discrimination and race. When I talk about race here, my posts are marked somehow (I don't know if it's automatic or someone mark them). We need a more open and honest discussion about immigration and integration, especially of different races. The problem I see is that white people cannot see things from others perspective because they don't experience life as we do. When I stand in the line at the check-out, people distance themselves from me, and look at me suspiciously. The other day I approached a clerk at a store to help me, and he was very rude and not friendly, although I was smiling and friendly with him. Maybe he had a bad day, but maybe he didn't like me. I once approached a woman who was presenting a cause of domestic violence against women on the street, because I was curious to listen to they have to say, and while she was barely talking to me, she was looking somewhere else. I lost interest immediately, and walked away because I felt unwelcome.

These experiences make immigrants hesitant to mingle with Canadians. Of course dealing with customer service and officials is something else, but watch reports and articles how people of color and immigrants are discriminated against in Canada in renting houses, in finding a job, .... etc. The problem is many companies, for example, is that they write on their websites that they are equal opportunity, but discrimination against ethnic-sounding names is reported all the time. When you say you are immigrant from Scotland or Germany or Italy, it's not you say you are immigrant from India, Pakistan, or the middle east. Again, I understand it's not easy. It's the human nature to classify people in-group and out-group, and we see this everywhere in the world, but in North America it's more pronounced. Read comments on twitter how Canadians comment on immigration and diversity. They mock the saying that "diversity is our strength". You see them start with illegal border crossing as an excuse, and end with legal immigration. How I see things, Canada will end up with a government like the US. The far-right groups are winning these days in North America and Europe, and liberal democracy is in retreat.
Not sure you can put all the blame on Canadians. Many immigrants are only interested in moving into community where they have other people from their home country. Brampton is the perfect example. Many immigrants have no interest to adapt to Canada, interact with Canadians, learn English, etc.

Just a suggestion: incidents of violence is probably not the best time to meet new people. Some people are more closed minded. I am used to being surrounded be relationships where people are from various ethnic, religious, cultural groups and nobody thinks twice about it where as many new Canadians would never consider marrying or dating someone from a different culture or religion. If you try to interact with someone and it doesn't go well try again. There is also a time and a place for talking to people. People may be busy or preoccupied if they are running errands, at their job, etc.

For the OP if you live in a small town there is usually a curling club. Ask someone to teach you one day.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Yes ! I feel the same way. I think that is why I'm having a hard time making friend. Canadians are nice because they smile and say hello, but nothing more than that. Are you not lonely? How is your experience there?
Canadians (in general) are bit more reserved compared to people in other parts of the world. Polite, yes, but also can take some time before they truly warm up to you. Though folks out west and east are supposedly less reserved than say folks in Ontario. It takes time, but once you build relationships, they are often very meaningful ones.

Reactions: russ6970