+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Small Family Looking for a safe neighborhood to settle down

preet14

Star Member
May 22, 2016
Hello everyone,

I landed in Canada in 2017 and since then living in Brampton and working in Mississauga. I was renting a room with some relatives but now moving out as my parents will join me soon. Also, I am looking forward to changing my job.

But before this, I am looking for a safe neighbourhood where I can settle down permanently. I could go for Brampton but:

1. The city is becoming way too expensive for both renting and buying.
2. There are no high paid jobs in the city itself.

So I am looking to step out of the city. Can anyone suggest some safe neighbourhoods that I can add into the search list? My priorities in the neighbourhood are:

1. Rent below $2000 for 2 bedrooms. ( Later on, would like to buy something below $500k).
2. I would be able to find good jobs in the neighbourhood or nearby. (I am a Computer Science graduate).
3. Availability of some good recreation facilities - Swimming, parks
4. Easy availability of Indian style food or groceries.
5. Less crime rate.

I am ready to travel up to 2 hours for job. Town House, Condos are my preferences do not want to go back to the basement now. (lived in for few months initially way too cold and you never know when the night ends and day start although the basement I lived was far big and brighter than many other we commonly see).

Some suggestions will be really welcome.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I landed in Canada in 2017 and since then living in Brampton and working in Mississauga. I was renting a room with some relatives but now moving out as my parents will join me soon. Also, I am looking forward to changing my job.

But before this, I am looking for a safe neighbourhood where I can settle down permanently. I could go for Brampton but:

So I am looking to step out of the city. Can anyone suggest some safe neighbourhoods that I can add into the search list? My priorities in the neighbourhood are:

1. Rent below $2000 for 2 bedrooms. ( Later on, would like to buy something below $500k).
2. I would be able to find good jobs in the neighbourhood or nearby. (I am a Computer Science graduate).
5. Less crime rate.

I am ready to travel up to 2 hours for job. Town House, Condos are my preferences do not want to go back to the basement now. (lived in for few months initially way too cold and you never know when the night ends and day start although the basement I lived was far big and brighter than many other we commonly see).

You basically keep going to the outskirts of Toronto. Even Guelph or Barrie. Buying a home for under 500k in the GTA will be difficult. If your parents are coming to stay with you on a supervisa you will have to include them in your lease or negotiate having longterm visitors in your lease. You can find some apartments in Mississauga for $2000 but good rentals are tough to find at that price point.

Reactions: preet14

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Hello everyone,

5. Less crime rate.

Just google TREB.CA https://onlistings.trreb.ca/searchlistings#search/-38756909/map

preet14

Star Member
May 22, 2016
You basically keep going to the outskirts of Toronto. Even Guelph or Barrie. Buying a home for under 500k in the GTA will be difficult. If your parents are coming to stay with you on a supervisa you will have to include them in your lease or negotiate to have longterm visitors in your lease. You can find some apartments in Mississauga for $2000 but good rentals are tough to find at that price point.
Thanks for the response. That is the big issue of finding a good apartment in GTA. I have been looking for some time but I haven't found anything. Any about what sort of area Waterloo is? crime rate, employment etc.

preet14

Star Member
May 22, 2016
Montreal maybe more suitable for your budget and IT job.
Else
St.Catherines looks like a good bet.
Thanks for the response. I am planning to visit Montreal soon to see what sort of area it is. St. Catherine I didn't think about it. Thanks for letting me know. any idea about the real estate in the area?

preet14

Star Member
May 22, 2016
That’s more about sales not rentals. Kijiji, viewit and other websites will be the best to find rentals.
I have been looking at Kijiji and rental.ca for some time. but the biggest issue is selecting the area.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your main concern should be finding employment before cobsudering such a big move. Do you speak French? That will likely be a factor if you move to Canada especially if your spouse works in non-It job. Your children will be forced to attend French school if they attend publuc school.

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
Thanks for the response. I am planning to visit Montreal soon to see what sort of area it is. St. Catherine I didn't think about it. Thanks for letting me know. any idea about the real estate in the area?
Montreal wud be better in every aspect.

I was checking some rentals in Mississauga and 1 bed room rents have soared to 2100$/month in old dilapidated buildings near square one .

Sorry to say but I dont think quality of life is good here.
Not sure about the parameters of the study which say that Canada ranks in top 3 countries of the world.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

I was checking some rentals in Mississauga and 1 bed room rents have soared to 2100$/month in old dilapidated buildings near square one .
If the family doesn’t speak French there are certainly downsides to Quebec as well as others. The economy has finally picked up starting 5+ years ago after a very long period of being stagnant. In Montreal you can end up with awful commutes as well. If the couple and children are happy to learn French then Montreal may be a good option. If they are only looking at tech jobs English is likely enough but for other jobs French will be needed. Also schooling will have to be in French that is not optional unless you pay for private school. For anyone in Canada people should be securing jobs before moving.

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
If the family doesn’t speak French there are certainly downsides to Quebec as well as others. The economy has finally picked up starting 5+ years ago after a very long period of being stagnant. In Montreal you can end up with awful commutes as well. If the couple and children are happy to learn French then Montreal may be a good option. If they are only looking at tech jobs English is likely enough but for other jobs French will be needed. Also schooling will have to be in French that is not optional unless you pay for private school. For anyone in Canada people should be securing jobs before moving.
did you read the original post ?

OP is a single male/female with visiting parents.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Sorry to say but I dont think quality of life is good here.
Not sure about the parameters of the study which say that Canada ranks in top 3 countries of the world.
There’s freedom to move outside the country if there’s ever issues regarding the quality of life