London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 28, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 28, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm just about to get all my things together to apply for skilled worker but I have a few questions.
I have family who live in Canada but my husband who will be on the application as well has a BA from the UK.
Which of us should be the principal applicant?

Also, do we letters from all our previous employers? We are currently still employed (full time, permanent) but we really don't want to ask our current bosses for letters as we haven't told them that we are applying to leave the UK and as the applications will take who knows how long to be accepted, we don't want to worry them until we are certain we're leaving. Getting letters from previous employers won't be a problem, but I was just wondering if we had to include current jobs or would the canadian immigration understand?

We also know that the principal applicant has to take an english test (we don't speak french so that one is out of the question), does it matter which one we take (CELPIP or EILTS)?

Thanks everyone for any help you can give!

shah1234

Star Member
Jun 5, 2012
Both of you take the ielts & wait to see the new occupation list & then decide who should be the principal applicant. You must get experience letters from all your employers. The application form has a list & you must send all documents they've asked.

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
In determining who should be the principal applicant, whoever is eligible to apply based on having occupation in the occupation list should be the principal applicant. SInce you do not give detailed info about your situation, I am assuming that neither of you have job offer from Canada. So, whoever qualifies and can get the most points can be principal applicant.

Even if your husband becomes a principal applicant, he can still show your family in Canada to support the application. Since your husband has a BA from UK, it might be easier for him to get his educational credentials assessed. So, in case both you and your husband will be eligible to apply, it might be slightly easier for your husband to be the principal applicant.

letters from employers are needed to help CIC determine how long you have worked in a specific occupation, what your job duties were in the positions you have held, and if you were paid for such work. So, you should have letters of experience from all employers that you are claiming points for (in terms of total years of work experience). So, if you want points for work done for current employer, you should show experience letter from them as well. Besides, applying for immigration is not a guarantee that you will get to immigrate, and like you said it can take MANY years for the process to be complete. SO, I don't really think your current employer will have any problem with giving you a letter.

It doesn't matter whether you take CELPIP or IELTS. If you want additional 5 points for adaptability, then both of you can take the test.

a_carreiro_2

Nov 17, 2012
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 28, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 28, 2013
namaste said:
In determining who should be the principal applicant, whoever is eligible to apply based on having occupation in the occupation list should be the principal applicant. SInce you do not give detailed info about your situation, I am assuming that neither of you have job offer from Canada. So, whoever qualifies and can get the most points can be principal applicant.

Even if your husband becomes a principal applicant, he can still show your family in Canada to support the application. Since your husband has a BA from UK, it might be easier for him to get his educational credentials assessed. So, in case both you and your husband will be eligible to apply, it might be slightly easier for your husband to be the principal applicant.

letters from employers are needed to help CIC determine how long you have worked in a specific occupation, what your job duties were in the positions you have held, and if you were paid for such work. So, you should have letters of experience from all employers that you are claiming points for (in terms of total years of work experience). So, if you want points for work done for current employer, you should show experience letter from them as well. Besides, applying for immigration is not a guarantee that you will get to immigrate, and like you said it can take MANY years for the process to be complete. SO, I don't really think your current employer will have any problem with giving you a letter.

It doesn't matter whether you take CELPIP or IELTS. If you want additional 5 points for adaptability, then both of you can take the test.

Thank you so much! this is very helpful! (no we don't have job offers unfortunately)
do we know when the new occupation list/NOC codes will be available?
I've looked at it just now and found our codes but could it be wrong?
Would anyone have a link to the new list of codes?

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
They are not changing the NOC codes. They are releasing a new list of occupations that will be eligible to apply for FSW. This announcement will be made sometime in April along with the list for agencies designated to do educational credential assessments.

a_carreiro_2 said:
Thank you so much! this is very helpful! (no we don't have job offers unfortunately)
do we know when the new occupation list/NOC codes will be available?
I've looked at it just now and found our codes but could it be wrong?
Would anyone have a link to the new list of codes?