+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Size of Photograph and digital pixel size for upload

NL75

Star Member
Jul 25, 2020
Hi Friend,
I am bit confuse on Digital Photograph requirement of IRCC. What would be the pixel size of 35 X45. I am finding it is 413 X531 Pixels and 40 KB file size. Can anyone who received PR or his document verified successfully advise please.

jp2020

Jul 30, 2020
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10-08-2020
Med's Done....
02-10-2020
Make sure your photo is not less than 60 kB.

jp2020

Jul 30, 2020
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10-08-2020
Med's Done....
02-10-2020
"Digital dimensions are often expressed in pixels or DPI (dots per inch). The physical dimensions in pixels must be at least 420 x 540."

NL75

Star Member
Jul 25, 2020
"Digital dimensions are often expressed in pixels or DPI (dots per inch). The physical dimensions in pixels must be at least 420 x 540."
Thanks but 35X45 is coming 413 X 531. I tried online converter but every one giving this pixel size for this..

NL75

Star Member
Jul 25, 2020
I used visaphoto.com to convert my photo. It is having 420X540 Pixel size. Do we need to attach photographer receipt? I am finding in some people are telling to attach photographer receipt in Client Information section??

Basically I got photograph from photographer but he provided 50X 60 MM digital image size so converted it to 420X540 pixel size,

jp2020

Jul 30, 2020
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
10-08-2020
Med's Done....
02-10-2020
I was in the same situation and used the same website. My opinion is that you don't need a receipt. See the requirements that are in EE. The photographer info is required in Client Information only for Canadian Citizenship applicants. I think doing that would be an extra, almost unnecessary step:

Temporary residents (students, workers, visitors), Express Entry and Canadian citizenship certificate
  • The photo must show a full front view of the head and tops of shoulders, with the face in the middle of the photo.
  • Size of the head, from chin to crown, must be between 31mm and 36mm.
  • Image size: at least 420 x 540 pixels.
  • We accept JPEG or JPEG2000 format.
  • File size: approximately 240 kB, no more than 4 MB.
  • Image must be in colour (24 bits per pixel) in RGB colour space, the common output for most digital cameras.
Temporary residents and Express Entry
  • The final frame size of the photo must be at least 35mm x 45mm.
  • If you scan an existing photo, the minimum resolution must be 600 pixels per inch.
Canadian citizenship certificate
  • Final frame size of the photo must be 50mm x 70mm.
  • Upload a colour digital photo taken by a commercial photographer (We don't accept black and white photos).
  • Scanned photos are not accepted.
  • Photo must be taken within the last 6 months.
  • Don't use a smart phone to take the photo.
  • Don't change the digital photos in any way.
  • You must also upload the photographer's information (name, address and date the photo was taken) to the "Client Information" item, under Optional Documents. We accept the photographer's receipt or a text file.

NL75

Star Member
Jul 25, 2020
Express Entry Digital Photo Guide in layman language:

As many of us having query on digital photo requirement for CEC/Express entry, hence writing this blog based on my understanding. Hope this will be helpful for Community:

Disclaimer: I am writing this based on my experience and understanding to help community. I am not a technical person or a photographer. If you want, You may follow this by your own choice. I will not be held responsible for the illegality or any error, inaccuracy or problem arises to your photograph.

A. For the Express Entry digital photographs requirement is :
Photograph Size 420 X 540, size 35 X 45 mm,
Size of the Head, from Chin to crown, must be between 31 mm and 36 mm.
Image Type : JPEG or JPG

B. Photograph size:
In Digital image, size is defined in pixels. This means width of Photograph should have 420 Pixels and height of photo should have 540 Pixels.
How to check this:
In computer (Window OS) : Right click on photograph file. This will open a popup window. click property and go to detail tab.
In Detail tab, you can see width and height of photograph in pixels.
So in detail tab, width should be at least 420 pixels and height should be 540 pixels.

Another important detail is dpi. Hence, note down DPI (resolution) showing in detail tab. DPI or resolution decides photograph size when printing.

C. How to check Photograph size in mm:
This is decided by number of pixels per inch (DPI or Resolution). For 35 X 45 mm. Pixel per inch should be in between 300 to 305.
1 inch = 25.4 MM

If Pixel is 300 DPI then image size will be :
1. Width (MM) = (420 X 25.4)/300 = 35.56 MM.
Same way if DPI is 305 then width will be 34.977 MM

2. At 300 DPI Height will be, Height (MM) = (540X25.4)/300 = 45.72 MM.
at 305 DPI Height will be 44.970 MM

D. For changing Image resolution to 300 DPI:
What to do if Property shows DPI 72, 96 or any other value but not 300.
If property is not showing DPI 300 or 305 then we may easily change this using GIMP or Photoshop.
GIMP is freeware (open source, free). Link: https://www.gimp.org/

1. Open Photo in GIMP
2. Click Image in menu bar
3. Click Print size
4. This will open a popup window.
5. change X and Y resolution to 300 pixels /inch.
6. You can also see image size after changing the pixels per inch.
7. Click Ok
8. Export photo in JPEG format and save in your folder with new name.
9. Again validate image properties as described in above Heading B.

I see some people mentioning online software to change resolution. You may try that also and validate converted photograph.
I did not use online resolution converter, hence can not say anything on this.

E. Image Size on Disk:
Image Size on Disk should be above 60 KB and less than 4 MB.
You may validate this in Image property following steps given in above Heading B. Check Properties >> General Tab to validate image size on Disc

F. Image bits
Its should be 24 Bits per pixel. You may see this following steps given in above Heading B.
In Detail tab, check Bit depth. it should be 24.

G. Image Type:

As mentioned in Heading B, check property of image. Type of file should be JPEG or JPG.

H: How to check Head size:

For this again resolution DPI comes in picture. If resolution is 300 DPI means in a inch 300 Pixels will come. or if you convert inch to MM then 25.4 MM will be having 300 Pixels. This means at 300 DPI resolution, 1 MM will have about 11.81 pixels.

This means for 45 mm picture height, where head start from top after 3 MM. In this case head (Hair) will start after 11.81 X 3 = 35.43 Pixels.
So Hair should be placed at least 35 or 36 pixels down from the Top of the Photograph.
In this case chin should be placed at 425 pixels from top for 36 MM. and at 366 pixels down from top for 31 MM.

So above can be used as to validate and verify image you have.

I : How to easily convert photograph in required format and image size:

Now below are the Online image converter you may use, for image conversion to 420 X 540 Pixel size:
There could be other site also but I am aware of these two based on my experience.

1. https://visafoto.com/ca_visa_photo
This is good site based in Russia. I find it does good Job but bit costly. charges are about 7 CAD per photograph.

2. https://makepassportphoto.com/en/p/photo-for-canada-permanent-resident-online-2

This site is based in India, Madras. Its bit cheap about 2.99 CAD per photo.
I would suggest to re-validate converted photograph. one of my friend got technical problem after conversion but site owner helped him to get it correct.

Hope this will help to community and suffice all the query related to CEC/Express entry Digital photograph requirements.

Best Wishes...

Last edited:
Reactions: natasha_zh

mvneema10

Oct 21, 2019
Express Entry Digital Photo Guide in layman language:

As many of us having query on digital photo requirement for CEC/Express entry, hence writing this blog based on my understanding. Hope this will be helpful for Community:

Disclaimer: I am writing this based on my experience and understanding to help community. I am not a technical person or a photographer. If you want, You may follow this by your own choice. I will not be held responsible for the illegality or any error, inaccuracy or problem arises to your photograph.

A. For the Express Entry digital photographs requirement is :
Photograph Size 420 X 540, size 35 X 45 mm,
Image Type : JPEG or JPG

B. Photograph size:
In Digital image, size is defined in pixels. This means width of Photograph should have 420 Pixels and height of photo should have 540 Pixels.
How to check this:
In computer (Window OS) : Right click on photograph file. This will open a popup window. click property and go to detail tab.
In Detail tab, you can see width and height of photograph in pixels.
So in detail tab, width should be at least 420 pixels and height should be 540 pixels.

Another important detail is dpi. Hence, note down DPI (resolution) showing in detail tab. DPI or resolution decides photograph size when printing.

C. How to check Photograph size in mm:
This is decided by number of pixels per inch (DPI or Resolution). For 35 X 45 mm. Pixel per inch should be in between 300 to 305.
1 inch = 25.4 MM

If Pixel is 300 DPI then image size will be :
1. Width (MM) = (420 X 25.4)/300 = 35.56 MM.
Same way if DPI is 305 then width will be 34.977 MM

2. At 300 DPI Height will be, Height (MM) = (540X25.4)/300 = 45.72 MM.
at 305 DPI Height will be 44.970 MM

D. For changing Image resolution to 300 DPI:
What to do if Property shows DPI 72, 96 or any other value but not 300.
If property is not showing DPI 300 or 305 then we may easily change this using GIMP or Photoshop.
GIMP is freeware (open source, free). Link: https://www.gimp.org/

1. Open Photo in GIMP
2. Click Image in menu bar
3. Click Print size
4. This will open a popup window.
5. change X and Y resolution to 300 pixels /inch.
6. You can also see image size after changing the pixels per inch.
7. Click Ok
8. Export photo in JPEG format and save in your folder with new name.
9. Again validate image properties as described in above Heading B.

I see some people mentioning online software to change resolution. You may try that also and validate converted photograph.
I did not use online resolution converter, hence can not say anything on this.

E. Image Size on Disk:
Image Size on Disk should be above 60 KB and less than 4 MB.
You may validate this in Image property following steps given in above Heading B. Check Properties >> General Tab to validate image size on Disc

F. Image bits
Its should be 24 Bits per pixel. You may see this following steps given in above Heading B.
In Detail tab, check Bit depth. it should be 24.

G. Image Type:

As mentioned in Heading B, check property of image. Type of file should be JPEG or JPG.

H: How to check Head size:

For this again resolution DPI comes in picture. If resolution is 300 DPI means in a inch 300 Pixels will come. or if you convert inch to MM then 25.4 MM will be having 300 Pixels. This means at 300 DPI resolution, 1 MM will have about 11.81 pixels.

This means for 45 mm picture height, where head start from top after 3 MM. In this case head (Hair) will start after 11.81 X 3 = 35.43 Pixels.
So Hair should be placed at least 35 or 36 pixels down from the Top of the Photograph.
In this case chin should be placed at 425 pixels from top for 36 MM. and at 366 pixels down from top for 31 MM.

So above can be used as to validate and verify image you have.

I : How to easily convert photograph in required format and image size:

Now below are the Online image converter you may use, for image conversion to 420 X 540 Pixel size:
There could be other site also but I am aware of these two based on my experience.

1. https://visafoto.com/ca_visa_photo
This is good site based in Russia. I find it does good Job but bit costly. charges are about 7 CAD per photograph.

2. https://makepassportphoto.com/en/p/photo-for-canada-permanent-resident-online-2

This site is based in India, Madras. Its bit cheap about 2.99 CAD per photo.
I would suggest to re-validate converted photograph. one of my friend got technical problem after conversion but site owner helped him to get it correct.

Hope this will help to community and suffice all the query related to CEC/Express entry Digital photograph requirements.

Best Wishes...
Hi. I used visafoto website but my converted file size is 97KB. Is that ok.?
Also, do we have to provide front and back of the photo (where back contain details in handwritten) for uploading photo in Express entry?

Hoping to hear soon

NL75

Star Member
Jul 25, 2020
My understanding is any size above 70 KB and below 4 Mb is good. Please see Point 'E'. I have uploaded Photograph (front Side) in the Photograph section of application. I also attached Invoice of photograph in Additional information section to proof date and time of photograph.
I am not sure if Photograph sections in application allow to attach Front and back both sides of photographs

mvneema10

Oct 21, 2019
My understanding is any size above 70 KB and below 4 Mb is good. Please see Point 'E'. I have uploaded Photograph (front Side) in the Photograph section of application. I also attached Invoice of photograph in Additional information section to proof date and time of photograph.
I am not sure if Photograph sections in application allow to attach Front and back both sides of photographs
Thank you for the response. If you don't mind asking, May I know your application status?

Did you only upload the front of the photo? As I was confused by the IRCC PR application where they said to take 50mmx75mm photo with back of the photo having details of name, date of birth of subject and date,name and address of photo studio. I later got educated from other forum members that these photos are required during PPR stage .