+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

single or Multiple entry visa

jutos

Jan 28, 2013
Hi All,

I will extend my visa (already got study permit) in Canada. I am confused after checking in the forum about applying for single entry or multiple entry visa.

Here's the situation. I am in Canada and extending my visa (single entry). If I leave Canada to Cuba for vacation, can I enter Canada with my single entry visa since it is applied in Canada and not used for entry before??

Thanks if someone answers,

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jutos said:
Hi All,

I will extend my visa (already got study permit) in Canada. I am confused after checking in the forum about applying for single entry or multiple entry visa.

Here's the situation. I am in Canada and extending my visa (single entry). If I leave Canada to Cuba for vacation, can I enter Canada with my single entry visa since it is applied in Canada and not used for entry before??

Thanks if someone answers,
Hi,

Technically you are not "extending" your visa. A single-entry visa, once used to enter Canada, is expired. You cannot use it anymore. It is an entry document and used only to travel/enter Canada.

If you intend to vacation, you should apply for a new Visa from within Canada before you exit for your vacation. This is commonly known as a "re-entry" visa. You can use this visa to re-enter Canada after your vacation.

Refer to these links:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=494&t=15
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=527&t=15
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/tourist.asp

See the section "Apply for a Visitor Visa" - follow the link: "apply for a new visitor visa to return to Canada before you leave."

/hth...

jutos

Jan 28, 2013
Thanks for the reply.
To be safer, I will go with the multiple entry visa application then.

ragluf said:
Hi,

Technically you are not "extending" your visa. A single-entry visa, once used to enter Canada, is expired. You cannot use it anymore. It is an entry document and used only to travel/enter Canada.

If you intend to vacation, you should apply for a new Visa from within Canada before you exit for your vacation. This is commonly known as a "re-entry" visa. You can use this visa to re-enter Canada after your vacation.

Refer to these links:

See the section "Apply for a Visitor Visa" - follow the link: "apply for a new visitor visa to return to Canada before you leave."

/hth...

dotmatrix

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2013
AOR Received.
15-06-2013
Med's Request
16-10-2014
Med's Done....
23-10-2014
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
21-12-2014
ragluf said:
Hi,

/hth...
Maybe not a relevant comment to the thread but I thought I'll put in my two cents. Ragluf is correct - you could however enter Canada on your original single entry visa if:

you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon; and
you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada.