+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Single or Married EE profile? Currently single but planning to get married

royzamora13

May 20, 2019
Hello all

Hope someone can help me with a concern regarding on how to apply to Express Entry (marital status)

Currently i am about to create my profile to EE in CIC website (I have ready my ECA and IELTS). My marital status as of right now is single, but planning to get married in the near future and I just knew that my girl is pregnant (2 months). My girl doesnt not have ECA and IELTS ready, we are going to work on that in the following months.

My concern is that, should I apply single as i am right now and when the time comes, update my marital status. I know i am just at the very beginning of the process but i am not sure how to submit my profile, should i apply single or wait until getting married and getting ECA and IELTS for her? * I feel that it would be a lot of time wasted waiting...

Will i have problems updating marital status before getting the ITA or is it better to update marital status once i get further in the process in example when getting ITA and beyond?

Or the other scenario is going to Canada by myself at the beginning and once there ask for my family?

Maybe i am going too much forward, sorry for that but i want to do the best from the beginning.

Thanks for the support in advance.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to create your profile now then you must declare yourself as single (or common law if applicable), once you get married you can easily update your marital status.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
If you are not married or in a common law relationship, you can apply as a single applicant.

You can add your spouse during the processing of the application, or sponsor them after you become a PR.

If you add your spouse post ITA, they will be given a PR visa along with you and the processing time is less. If you sponsor, the processing time is appx. 1 year.

Even if you land in Canada as a PR, you can immediately go back and return after 3 years, and still meet the physical presence requirement by stating 2 years continuously in Canada.

What works for you, is something you will have to decide.

royzamora13

May 20, 2019
If you are not married or in a common law relationship, you can apply as a single applicant.

You can add your spouse during the processing of the application, or sponsor them after you become a PR.

If you add your spouse post ITA, they will be given a PR visa along with you and the processing time is less. If you sponsor, the processing time is appx. 1 year.

Even if you land in Canada as a PR, you can immediately go back and return after 3 years, and still meet the physical presence requirement by stating 2 years continuously in Canada.

What works for you, is something you will have to decide.
Thanks legalfalcon for the quick answer!

Reactions: legalfalcon