+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Single last name vs several last name --> Name change?

fenomenalb

Star Member
Jan 16, 2014
Hi,

I have several last names that show up on my non-Canadian Passport (long story). I have only used one of those last names pretty much my whole life but I have run into a few situations that have required that needed me to show documents (non-ID) with all my last names (which can be tricky because any other legal document that I have which is not an ID does not have all my last names). It also leads to some confusion when people look at my name and pick just one (it is often one of the ones I never use which leads to further confusion.

For just one of those names to appear on my passport (as opposed to all of them), would I really need to apply for a name change? I am not changing my name per se, just dropping the ones I don't use.

Anyone with a similar experience or advice on how I should proceed?

yanesrahn

Oct 7, 2008
ontario
Visa Office......
Buffalo
App. Filed.......
12-01-12
Nomination.....
28-11-11
AOR Received.
15-02-12
Med's Request
15-02-12
Med's Done....
21-02-12
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 received 10-05-20113
Hi,

I have several last names that show up on my non-Canadian Passport (long story). I have only used one of those last names pretty much my whole life but I have run into a few situations that have required that needed me to show documents (non-ID) with all my last names (which can be tricky because any other legal document that I have which is not an ID does not have all my last names). It also leads to some confusion when people look at my name and pick just one (it is often one of the ones I never use which leads to further confusion.

For just one of those names to appear on my passport (as opposed to all of them), would I really need to apply for a name change? I am not changing my name per se, just dropping the ones I don't use.

Anyone with a similar experience or advice on how I should proceed?
I think you need to do a legal name change in the province that you reside before applying for your citizenship, in that way you can have all documents same. In my case I dropped one of my last names.. attach the certificated when I received my AOR.. because the process was taking so long I renewed my PR card and in that moment my name was changed in the system.. I am waiting 13+ months so.. every case is different but be prepare for some delays.. Also I hear people applying for citizenship and then asked for a name change in the certificated but also it will take time..

fenomenalb

Star Member
Jan 16, 2014
I think you need to do a legal name change in the province that you reside before applying for your citizenship, in that way you can have all documents same. In my case I dropped one of my last names.. attach the certificated when I received my AOR.. because the process was taking so long I renewed my PR card and in that moment my name was changed in the system.. I am waiting 13+ months so.. every case is different but be prepare for some delays.. Also I hear people applying for citizenship and then asked for a name change in the certificated but also it will take time..
Thank you for your response.

Reactions: yanesrahn