+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Singaporean applicants under FSW

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
tran said:
RCMP Ottawa replied to my email query about my Canadian PCC within the day.
Result sent to CHC S'pore in late January 2010(application took about 3 months)
Email below:

civilnps @ rcmp-grc.gc.ca
Thanks Tran

I used the rcmp email u provided and received the reply within a few hours! Thanks dude!

Have u received any reply since then. I am also still waiting for passport request with all documents in already.

How can i view if my file is in process? How to log in the site on the canadian immigration site?

Thanks

tran

May 10, 2009
abelkwh said:
Thanks Tran

I used the rcmp email u provided and received the reply within a few hours! Thanks dude!

Have u received any reply since then. I am also still waiting for passport request with all documents in already.

How can i view if my file is in process? How to log in the site on the canadian immigration site?

Thanks
Just key in your file number BXXXXXXXXX to the below link

https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/authenticate.do?app=ecas

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've been on this forum thread. Sorry for not being around. I think Abel tried to send me a skype message.

Have landed in Toronto as a PR for about 4 months now, been both lazy and busy at the same time. Just thought I'd share my experiences.

One thing to note is that you don't get medical coverage for 3 months as of the day of landing. The medical insurance is provided by the province, not the federal government. This isn't a big deal if you are in good health, but even the smallest things can develop. I had a rash that developed when I was back in Singapore that got really bad when I came over, probably due to the dry winter weather. I tried all kinds of over the counter creams and medicines and they didn't work and wanted to go to a doctor badly for something stronger but resisted doing so and it was a very excruciating (and itchy) winter. Their medical insurance only covers doctor visits, not medication. When you get a job it is most likely to provide you insurance that covers the medications as well. If you are bringing a family over you might want to get some kind of bridge medical insurance for those 3 months. It's not worth visiting the doctor if you have a cough or cold or the flu because all they'll do is take over the counter medications. If you have a chronic illness like high blood pressure, etc. I would advise getting as much medication as your local doctor/polyclinic would give because medications cost a lot down here. A doctor's visit without insurance would cost $40-50 and medications another $50+ up to $100+ depending on what kind of illness.

The Ontario and GTA (Greater Toronto Area) seems to offer the most jobs and most variety of jobs overall. If you look at every job search website like monster.ca or workopolis.com you would see 5000+ jobs in Ontario as opposed to 1000+ in BC and Alberta. Some of the jobs in Ontario are in Ottawa, but it seems that most of the jobs in Ottawa require you to be bilingual (in Canada whenever they say bilingual it means English/French). But if you are IT skilled and certified there are pretty much jobs everywhere. Having foreign credentials (even US credentials) is quite a disadvantage and employers are somewhat opposed to hiring. You might even have to take an English certification course just to make things easier. You can try as hard as you want to convince them but if you're not from North America or UK or Australia they don't recognize (whether informally or formally) that English is your first language. If your profession requires local certification, I would advise you get it as soon as possible. You may have to get a job that's "beneath" you - probably doesn't pay as much or give you as much authority as your previous job, but stick with it for a year or two for the Canadian experience and move on later. Take note of that when budgeting your expenses. If you can afford it, do volunteer work or even internships for experience. Employment agencies and headhunters are often more eager to help you out since they make money from it but ultimately it's up to you to cinch the job.

I tried looking for jobs but universities aren't hiring in my area, but I am looking to change careers anyway. I've just finished working a contract job while working on a screenplay and doing some freelance writing jobs. Eventually I'd like to be a writer but obviously that isn't stable income. Right now I'm just looking to find something stable so that I can take up a home loan and get my own place.

Hope all this helps, and nice to reconnect with all of you again.

tran

May 10, 2009
Hi mediajunkie,

Thanks for your update. In your opinion, which part of GTA is a good place to stay, in terms of job
prospect, affordable real estate, good environment, good elementary school, etc.??

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Hi MediaJunkie

Really good to hear from u again! i was wondering how u were doing actually before yr message appeared! seems like ontario area has more jobs relative to alberta, so if one is looking for jobs with a higher probability of landing a job, better be in Ontario area.

Hows the job mkt for financial services professional, mediajunkie, any idea on that?

tran

May 10, 2009
End of recession bringing skill shortages to Canada

http://www.muchmormagazine.com/2010/03/end-of-recession-bringing-skill-shortages-to-canada/

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
@Tran:
Any suburb in the GTA would be suitable. Many people live in the suburbs and commute to downtown Toronto for work. Obviously housing in downtown Toronto would be quite expensive, but if you have kids you might not want to be raising them in the city anyway. The further away you live from Toronto, the cheaper it gets. My parents know some reliable housing agents who were from Singapore that would know the areas in better detail if you need some referrals.

There are no "good" schools - the schools are not ranked like Singapore where they RGS is #1, RI #2, etc. Public school is public school. Public school is free, but some people send their kids to private schools thinking that they'd get a better education. My brother went to a private secondary school, but I felt that he was just influenced by all the rich brats that went there. For public school your kid is usually just sent to the school within your district. With the newer communities, the schools are less overcrowded and there is a smaller teacher:student ratio. From what I've seen so far all the schools seem to have good and modern facilities, much better than those of schools in the US.

As for environment it's quite subjective. I'm single with no kids, so I prefer to be closer to the city with easy access to shops. But when you're raising kids you might want to have a big house with lots of parks nearby for your kids to play with other kids. If you like nature and the outdoors, obviously stay further away from the city where there there is less congestion.

I've mentioned before the suburbs with a high Chinese (mainly HK Chinese) population. These are Markham, Scarborough, Richmond Hill. Mississauga is Canada's 6th largest city and has a lot of Chinese too but also a lot of other cultures. York and Etibicoke are adjacent to Toronto and some people consider them to be part of Toronto city itself. Oakville is where the rich people stay so even though it's not densely populated, property prices are high because it's near the lake. All these places I've listed seem to be fully developed, so if you want to buy a house there chances are you might have to buy a resale house or a condo. Condo's here are pretty small compared to Singapore, most of them only have 2 rooms Max (1 Master, 1 bed) and you pay about $200-300 a month in facilities charges, many of which you cannot use during the winter (e.g. tennis court, swimming pool)

@Abel:
For financial services most of the big banks and financial companies seem to have their headquarters in downtown Toronto. HSBC is extremely big down here so that might be a possibility. Like I said, when you start off you might have to take a job that was somewhat lower level than what you were used to, but don't be discouraged. Stick with it for a year or two and you can use that experience, plus your international experience to get a better job. There are headhunters that specialize in banking and finance industries only and I would approach them if it is for your first job. But all they do is get you the interview, in the interview you will still have to prove yourself. Educate yourself thoroughly on financial sector in Canada and and customs unique to Canada itself. Take any certifications needed prior to starting your job search - just look at what jobs are offered right now and see what those jobs require and make sure you prepare in advance for them.

The economy is pretty bad right now, and even though there are reports of the economy improving, you won't expect to see them at an individual level for at least another year or two.

My dad asked me to give you guys the web address of the Singapore Malaysia Association which is http://www.smaontario.ca/

BDSkilled

Oct 15, 2009
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
December 2010
But when will i get Passport Request???

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Thanks mediajunkie, indeed, i plan to take the certification for Canadian financial services, which is CSI, Canadian Securities Institute exam and be licenced for the various services that i plan to find jobs in.

Your insight has been noted and appreciated.

Thanks mediajunkie.

How about lecturing positions in business schools in Ontario universities or colleges?

Do u have to get your US Degree and Aussie degrees certified to the same level as Canada while looking for jobs? As i have read many saying that its better to have it certified to equalvent standard as Canada.

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
University and College openings are based on a availability basis. As you know many senior professors have this thing called tenure - which means they cannot be fired no matter how bad they perform. Some of them choose to stay on even into their 70s. So basically in order for a spot to be available, that professor has to die, retire, quit, or get fired for doing something illegal. - sometimes an increase in funding would allow for a new position in the department, it really all depends. Sometimes a position opens up but it's somewhere where no one wants to live in. When I was in the US I got a lot of job offers in places like Wyoming and North Dakota, and I really didn't want to live in the middle of nowhere. There could be trade colleges that offer teaching positions too. The best thing to do is to pinpoint all the universities and colleges around the area you want to live and bookmark their employment site and revisit frequently.

As for certifying documents, I think that's meant more for people from places like India and Pakistan, or for people who have transcripts printed in anything other than English. The only place that really asked me for certified documents was the OPS Internship page http://www.citizenship.gov.on.ca/english/working/internship/ - they wouldn't even process my application unless I had certified documentation.

Oh just to illustrate how important it is to have medical coverage, I suspect I may have a case of appendicitis. I won't know for sure until I go for an ultrasound tomorrow. Thank God I got my health card last month. If I didn't, the doctors visits, tests, and surgery (if I need it) would cost about $15,000. If it had happened one month earlier I wouldn't know what to do. I thought that I was in good health and wouldn't need medical coverage for the initial 3 months but stuff like this is pretty unexpected.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Thanks media, I feel so relieved too that u already have yr medical card and wouldnt need to incur additional cost if u have to go for any medical checkups in the future. Just pray hard for u that u have no problem with yr appendictius.

From what u have mentioned abt that openings for lecturing positions, seems like it aint easy at all to get some of these lecturing or instructor positions. Its strange that many papers and websites have mentioned that there is a shortage or professors or instructors in colleges and unis if such openings hardly open unless funding is increased in unis and if some professor or instructors pass away! ;-)

So how r u working on with yr job search in Toronto area? what positions are u currently seeking or industry?

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
If you want to live in Manitoba or Saskatchewan or Nova Scotia or New Brunswick I believe there is pretty high demand for college teaching jobs. Even Quebec has a pretty high demand, but all the universities there except for McGill conduct classes in French. But because all the urban areas like Toronto and Vancouver and Calgary and Ottawa are extremely densely populated so there will be no shortage of qualified people for those teaching positions. It is a matter of lifestyle over location, and if you pick the former, it's a waiting game. I was chatting with my doctor today and he said that when he first landed in Canada the medical board would only grant him a license in New Brunswick because they needed doctors badly there. He had to practice there for over 10 years before finally given an opportunity to move to Ontario. At least with other professions we have a choice on where to live.

Right now I'm looking for copywriting/advertising/PR jobs - or corporate communications. At some point I plan to take a Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) certification and probably teach English. There seems to be a demand for TESL teachers because of the high amount of immigration. I'll probably temp and/or do contract work until something comes by just to stay employed. Basically I'm just looking for a job that would give me lots of free time (not to mention financial security) to focus on screenwriting. Toronto has a burgeoning film industry and a lot of US movies and television shows are filmed in Vancouver because Canada gives a ton of tax breaks. I was even contemplating going to a trade college to study nursing part-time because that is a high demand job anywhere in the world and nurses pretty much get an automatic green card when they get hired in the US (they would be more in demand now that the healthcare bill has passed), but I'm pretty sick of studying and it's not something I want to do for the rest of my life.

Qorax posted about finding work as a new immigrant. I find what he says is mostly true, although I tend to think that the timeline isn't as short as he says it is: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/how-to-succeed-in-the-canadian-job-market-for-a-new-immigrant-t31106.0.html - Remember that minimum wage in canada (depending on province) is between $8-10 an hour. So even if you get stuck with a temp job paying $12-15 an hour you could still make $2k+ a month, which should cover living expenses so that you don't blow your savings waiting for something better to come by.

On another note, it doesn't look like I have appendicitis but more likely a ruptured ovarian cyst. Not as urgent, but most likely still need surgery. Have to go for more tests after this Good Friday/Easter Monday long weekend.

BDSkilled

Oct 15, 2009
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
December 2010
When will i get Passport Request after Submitting RPRF + Medical At Singapore VISA office??????????