+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Singapore Police COC (from overseas -Timeframe) [Jan 2019]

houseoflions

Jan 10, 2019
Just got my Singapore COC while residing outside Singapore (in a South Asian country). So writing this short article for anyone planning to do the same.

I stayed in Singapore btw 2008-2013. And I applied for the COC from outside Singapore. Here is a step-by-step.

You do not need to provide COC as part of your application.
Yes ! You submit your express entry application, and then afterwards IRCC will issue you with the Singapore COC request letter which you will then submit as part of your SG COC application package. I was issued issued with the request letter 2 months 10 days after the submission of my application.

Be prompt when you receive the request letter.
You will be given 60 days to get the whole job done. Getting COC while residing overseas is a hassle. If the request letter has been issued by the High Commission of Canada then you have 30 days !

First you appeal
In my case, my appeal was accepted within 24 hours (however on the SPF website it says the following: >>"You will be notified of the appeal outcome within 5 working days."<<). You will need (i) scan of your passport size photo, (ii) scan of your Singapore ID card, (iii) IRCC/ High Commission request letter, (iv) scan of your passport, (v) plus any supporting letter - in my case I attached a letter of degree conferment from the Singapore university which I attended to make my application stronger.

Then you apply
After the successful appeal, now you can apply. After you apply, in my case I was sent with a fingerprint request letter within 36 hours by email.

The fingerprint business
For those residing outside Singapore
Bear in mind that there is a format for fingerprint (with the title INDUSTRIAL IDENTIFICATION). At the time of writing this thread, the form/format can be downloaded online from:
https://www.police.gov.sg/~/media/coc_sample_of_fingerprints.pdf
https://www.police.gov.sg/~/media/spf/files/e-services/form_coc_sg.pdf
https://www.police.gov.sg/sgsecure/~/media/coc_fingerprint_form.pdf?la=en
If the link is broken good luck with your search. The SPF is good with the email, email them and ask them to tell you the format of fingerprint. They tend to reply within 3-5 days for straightforward non-annoying emails.

Authorized centre: These include police station in your home country, commissioner of oath, justice of peace, notary public. If you are residing overseas please get your fingerprint at one of these centres only with relevant stamps/ signature of the centre.

Courier/ Post your fingerprint
Send your fingerprint along with a letter which will be emailed to you. Alternatively the receipt of your payment can also be attached. Bear in mind that the information on website is not always promptly updated. You need to be careful with courier/ postal service - it would be suicide if you choose a snail-pace postal service.
I sent by speedpost tracking, and was checking online postal tracking and police certificate online tracking on a daily basis, here are the stat:
In my case the letter was received by SPF on the 7th calendar day after sending.
After the letter is received by SPF it enters a queue and was opened after another 4-5 working days. After your letter is opened now this is when your application processing time of 5 working days start. In my case my COC was approved on the 5th working day.

COC Issued-Queued-Sing Post
After the COC is approved, it will be printed and then be sent by postal service. Between the issue date and the letter being received by the Singapore Post there is a time of 3 working days. You will receive an email from SPF saying that the letter would be delivered to you in 2-3 weeks (this is a rough estimate, you are not obliged to believe this).
If you have a friend/ relative in Singapore, you can also choose "collect by proxy" option wherein your friend can collect the COC on your behalf, scan it and then email you. Your friend will need relevant authorization letter as well --- I did not go for this so I am not the best person to share info on this.

Sing Post Registered Mail
Contrary to whats being told by other on the forum that it takes ages to receive the letter, I received the letter on the 5th working day (I live in a South Asian country) - this shows that the letter is delivered within reasonable time. Secondly they send the letter to you by registered mail (so you dont have to worry about the letter getting lost). You get to know about the registered mail tracking number when you receive the letter (not sure if this information can be obtained by sending SPF an email).

In summary
In total it took me 40 days (head-to-tail) to receive the letter, after being issued with the COC request letter by IRCC. I was utmost prompt in my action, and nothing went amiss with the postal delivery services. In some circumstances due to delays in postal delivery be prepared for delay of another 5-10 days, and hence an estimation of 45-50 days to receive the COC while residing outside Singapore is very practical.

aamool

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
Med's Done....
22-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2019
LANDED..........
02-10-2019
Just got my Singapore COC while residing outside Singapore (in a South Asian country). So writing this short article for anyone planning to do the same.

I stayed in Singapore btw 2008-2013. And I applied for the COC from outside Singapore. Here is a step-by-step.

You do not need to provide COC as part of your application.
Yes ! You submit your express entry application, and then afterwards IRCC will issue you with the Singapore COC request letter which you will then submit as part of your SG COC application package. I was issued issued with the request letter 2 months 10 days after the submission of my application.

Be prompt when you receive the request letter.
You will be given 60 days to get the whole job done. Getting COC while residing overseas is a hassle. If the request letter has been issued by the High Commission of Canada then you have 30 days !

First you appeal
In my case, my appeal was accepted within 24 hours (however on the SPF website it says the following: >>"You will be notified of the appeal outcome within 5 working days."<<). You will need (i) scan of your passport size photo, (ii) scan of your Singapore ID card, (iii) IRCC/ High Commission request letter, (iv) scan of your passport, (v) plus any supporting letter - in my case I attached a letter of degree conferment from the Singapore university which I attended to make my application stronger.

Then you apply
After the successful appeal, now you can apply. After you apply, in my case I was sent with a fingerprint request letter within 36 hours by email.

The fingerprint business
For those residing outside Singapore
Bear in mind that there is a format for fingerprint (with the title INDUSTRIAL IDENTIFICATION). At the time of writing this thread, the form/format can be downloaded online from:
https://www.police.gov.sg/~/media/coc_sample_of_fingerprints.pdf
https://www.police.gov.sg/~/media/spf/files/e-services/form_coc_sg.pdf
https://www.police.gov.sg/sgsecure/~/media/coc_fingerprint_form.pdf?la=en
If the link is broken good luck with your search. The SPF is good with the email, email them and ask them to tell you the format of fingerprint. They tend to reply within 3-5 days for straightforward non-annoying emails.

Authorized centre: These include police station in your home country, commissioner of oath, justice of peace, notary public. If you are residing overseas please get your fingerprint at one of these centres only with relevant stamps/ signature of the centre.

Courier/ Post your fingerprint
Send your fingerprint along with a letter which will be emailed to you. Alternatively the receipt of your payment can also be attached. Bear in mind that the information on website is not always promptly updated. You need to be careful with courier/ postal service - it would be suicide if you choose a snail-pace postal service.
I sent by speedpost tracking, and was checking online postal tracking and police certificate online tracking on a daily basis, here are the stat:
In my case the letter was received by SPF on the 7th calendar day after sending.
After the letter is received by SPF it enters a queue and was opened after another 4-5 working days. After your letter is opened now this is when your application processing time of 5 working days start. In my case my COC was approved on the 5th working day.

COC Issued-Queued-Sing Post
After the COC is approved, it will be printed and then be sent by postal service. Between the issue date and the letter being received by the Singapore Post there is a time of 3 working days. You will receive an email from SPF saying that the letter would be delivered to you in 2-3 weeks (this is a rough estimate, you are not obliged to believe this).
If you have a friend/ relative in Singapore, you can also choose "collect by proxy" option wherein your friend can collect the COC on your behalf, scan it and then email you. Your friend will need relevant authorization letter as well --- I did not go for this so I am not the best person to share info on this.

Sing Post Registered Mail
Contrary to whats being told by other on the forum that it takes ages to receive the letter, I received the letter on the 5th working day (I live in a South Asian country) - this shows that the letter is delivered within reasonable time. Secondly they send the letter to you by registered mail (so you dont have to worry about the letter getting lost). You get to know about the registered mail tracking number when you receive the letter (not sure if this information can be obtained by sending SPF an email).

In summary
In total it took me 40 days (head-to-tail) to receive the letter, after being issued with the COC request letter by IRCC. I was utmost prompt in my action, and nothing went amiss with the postal delivery services. In some circumstances due to delays in postal delivery be prepared for delay of another 5-10 days, and hence an estimation of 45-50 days to receive the COC while residing outside Singapore is very practical.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I was too paranoid about the fingerprints being rejected, getting them lost in the post or even losing the COC in the post that I made a trip to Singapore to give fingerprints and collect the COC.

Timeline was like this:
22nd March: Received letter from CIC to request COC, submitted appeals (two applicants: 1 PR, 1 foreigner). Was given 60 days.
24th March: Appeal(s) successful, made payment, booked fingerprint appointment (for 5th April - there were earlier slots, picked one based on ticket prices). Note that I just checked, the emails came a fair bit later.
5th April: Went to Police Cantonment as instructed for a 3 PM appointment. Had a bit of a delay because we only had 1 ID (need to surrender one for visitor pass, needed passport for appointment). Finally settled by giving an NRIC (for the PR) and a credit card (accepted out of kindness) and got to the appointment place around 5 minutes late. Spent about 10 minutes to queue to get fingerprints done, received printouts in another 5 minutes - was in and out in less than 30 minutes.

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
Finally got mine too. Thought that I'd share my timeline (Apr 2019) too. Non-citizen of Singapore.

(Showing Singapore times unless otherwise specified)

Apr 7 Sunday ~3pm: submitted e-appeal
Apr 10 Wednesday ~6am: e-appeal status "Approved" (did not get email; checked status online under "Enquiry")
Apr 10 Wednesday ~8am: submitted COC application
Apr 10 Wednesday ~9am: COC application status "Accepted, Pending Finger Print" (did not get email; checked status online under "Enquiry")
Apr 10 Wednesday 6:46pm: email saying e-appeal was approved
Apr 10 Wednesday 6:57pm: email saying application was accepted with payment receipt in attachment
Apr 11 Thursday: fingerprint taken at local police (no agency stamp; immediately booked appointment with consulate)
Apr 12 Friday: fingerprint taken at consulate (stamp of consulate + signature of consul); both fingerprint cards immediately dropped off for express delivery

Apr 16 Tuesday: package delivered (after a day of being held at customs)

Apr 22 Monday: status changed to "In Progress"

Apr 25 Thursday 6:34pm: email saying COC has been approved. Website status now says "Issued". Regarding delivery, email says:

"Your COC will be mailed in about 2 days to your postal address, as indicated during your application. It may take 2-3 weeks to reach you, depending on your local postage services. For a Singapore address, it may take between 3 to 5 working days to reach you.".

Apr 30 Tuesday: "Accepted at (CITY SQUARE POST OFFICE)" [came to know this retroactively by looking at tracking number after delivery attempt was made]
May 3 Friday: unsuccessful delivery attempt; friend received delivery notice -- "Collection available after 2pm next working day"
May 6 Monday: friend collected COC from post office

Based on my experience, the timeline described by @houseoflions was highly accurate. Overall, the process was a ginormous PITA, especially if one does not live anywhere close to Singapore and thus could not easily travel to Singapore to get the fingerprint done and collect the COC in person.

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
Thank you so much for posting ~ I studied in Singapore for 1 year and I will be asking to do this soon

I am (Canada) inland applicant but my family is living in HK. Will it be faster to send inside Asia or Canada?

However, my application asked me to upload the Police certificate at checklist and I just need to write a LOE to explain it?

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
1st question: you can look up Registered Mail on SingPost's website

2nd question: look under "If you need a request letter" here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/police-certificates.html

Thank you so much for posting ~ I studied in Singapore for 1 year and I will be asking to do this soon

I am (Canada) inland applicant but my family is living in HK. Will it be faster to send inside Asia or Canada?

However, my application asked me to upload the Police certificate at checklist and I just need to write a LOE to explain it?

PNP@EE

Star Member
Apr 23, 2019
canada
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
22/12/2018
AOR Received.
21/02/2019
Med's Request
22/04/2019 BIL done
Med's Done....
16/04/2019 passed
hi,

My timeline for COC was pretty quick, I applied for coc b4 I got ITA, and my application with my spouse, approved in 7 working days, then I booked DHL courier and informed to pickup from COC office and got mine 10 days,

Just want to share my experience,

charcharbinks

May 8, 2019
Hi all,

I'm not trying to migrate to Canada, but heres my COC timeline. although i never got email updates, these are the updates from their website which i tracked like a hawk

19 April Appeal and approval
23 April Fingerprints sent to Singapore
8 May In progress
14 May Issued

Hopefully i can get it end next week!

Reactions: baryonix

foreveryoung

Aug 14, 2013
hi,

My timeline for COC was pretty quick, I applied for coc b4 I got ITA, and my application with my spouse, approved in 7 working days, then I booked DHL courier and informed to pickup from COC office and got mine 10 days,

Hi, just wanna ask what doc did you upload as proof even without the letter from CIC requesting it?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

yuyu

Aug 25, 2012
hi,

Hey not sure if you are still around on the forum.

How did you book the DHL courier to pick it up?

I assume you would have to know when to schedule the pick up by DHL in Singapore before you can create the DHL shipping label?

yuyu

Aug 25, 2012
Hi, just wanna ask what doc did you upload as proof even without the letter from CIC requesting it?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
I have read some posts on this forum awile ago that they simply point to the CIC page where it says a Singapore clearance is needed if applying for immigration if you stayed 6 months or more after 18 yrs of age but search around the forum.

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
Personally, I strongly recommend against getting the Singaporean COC before IRCC requests for it. There have been cases reported on the forum that people having done that received a request letter for an « updated original COC » even though they submitted one obtained with the ITA letter (as opposed to the official request letter). In fact, it happened to me too. After eAPR, I went ahead and got a COC with the ITA letter, and submitted it through the web form. When my file was opened and received medical pass, I got an ADR for an « updated original COC ». This happened when the COC I submitted was less than a month old! So I then had to go through the entire process again to get another COC from SPF. Unbelievably ridiculous.

Reactions: yuyu

yuyu

Aug 25, 2012
Personally, I strongly recommend against getting the Singaporean COC before IRCC requests for it. There have been cases reported on the forum that people having done that received a request letter for an « updated original COC » even though they submitted one obtained with the ITA letter (as opposed to the official request letter). In fact, it happened to me too. After eAPR, I went ahead and got a COC with the ITA letter, and submitted it through the web form. When my file was opened and received medical pass, I got an ADR for an « updated original COC ». This happened when the COC I submitted was less than a month old! So I then had to go through the entire process again to get another COC from SPF. Unbelievably ridiculous.
Are you Singapore citizen? :O

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
@yuyu

No. Singapore citizen won't be needing any letter in order to get a COC :p

I explained that I got it through ITA. They didn't seem to care. The same kind of thing happened to someone in the May 2019 thread who needed a letter from IRCC to get a PCC from Mexico.