+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN Without Canadian Address?

ONHopeful

Jul 25, 2017
Hi Friends,
Thanks to all for the help & advice on this forum. I successfully completed landing at the border without a Canadian address, but can I get a SIN without an address? The reason I ask is that I have job interviews lined up and of course I need a SIN to be hired. If an address is required, can I use the hotel address or something similar?

mike2236

Nov 28, 2017
You can’t get a SIN without a Canadian address I was told when I applied. I believe you can use basically any Canadian address but I’ll let people with more knowledge answer. When I applied for a temporary SIN and didn’t had a Canadian address, I was told by Service Canada that I must have a Canadian address. The person offered and use my employer address. When I asked the person if I would need to update them with my address, I was told no I didn’t had to. However keep in mind that my application was for a temporary SIN.

ONHopeful

Jul 25, 2017
Thanks mike! Sounds like the hotel address will do. I suppose it’s easier now that they don't mail a physical card.

Cheers!

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hi Friends,
Thanks to all for the help & advice on this forum. I successfully completed landing at the border without a Canadian address, but can I get a SIN without an address? The reason I ask is that I have job interviews lined up and of course I need a SIN to be hired. If an address is required, can I use the hotel address or something similar?
1. ANY Canadian address will do. It's just a formality. I guess it was a strict requirement when cards were mailed out and Service Canada has not updated their systems since then.

2. You do not need SIN for interviews. It will be required for payroll setup and background check only after you have accepted job offer.

Last edited:

mike2236

Nov 28, 2017
In case anyone else references this thread in the future, I was actually able to just give my USA address to get the SIN!
That's great but it may be a case of it depends on the person at Service Canada. I was specifically told by the rep at Service Canada when I applied for my temporary SIN number in BC last October that I cannot use my US address and it must be a Canadian address. I guess it varies.

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
Heres my own experience : signed up for a sin without a canadian address. No questions asked!

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
I too have the same issue, I am quarantined in a hotel and in order to apply online for SIN I need to show an address proof . I plan to take an airbnb post this , not sure what address proof to provide . Please help if anyone had success in applying online with hotel address

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
Hey @NivedhithaCibi, did your airbnb/hotel address work fine? were you able to get the SIN? I am in quarantine as well and need to apply. Thanks in advance!
Call them and schedule an in person appointment , thats what I did . In the call tell them you dont have a permanent address yet . They will ensure you get an in person appointment .
Once you go to the service canada center again explain them about your appointment as you dont have a permanent address. They wil issue SIN right then and there

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
Hi @NivedhithaCibi, thanks for your response. I am currently in quarantine for next 10 days - and need to start work in next 6-7 days. I think I will need to apply online.
You can start working now and submit your sin to employer in 2 weeks right ?

vijay S

Jul 5, 2021
Hi, can I give my friends address for the SIN?
As per the online application link, in the box with ‘in care of’ by giving friends name.