+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN renewal issues

Anonanyn

Jun 27, 2017
Hi,
Can someone please help me as I'm really worried. I basically first entered canada on a working holiday visa and got a sin straight away. Then I moved onto a open work study permit but wasn't aware I had to renew my SIN to match my new permit. I stopped working to take time out to study before my sin expired so i never worked illegally on it or anything. After I realised my mistake about a month ago I went to try to renew the date but I was refused as I didn't have the original copy of the study permit (as I never received it from CIC). I've now applied for a post grad visa and am on implied status so can legally work while waiting for my new permit but i now dont have a sin. My question is can I still use my expired sin until I get my new permit and then go renew it or will I be able to change the expiry date. I can't turn down this job and I want to do everything above board without getting into trouble. What should I do? Any help is appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need a valid SIN to work. If you've already tried to renew your SIN and they refused, it sounds like you're going to have to wait until your PGWP is approved before you'll be able to get a new SIN and be able to work.

Anonanyn

Jun 27, 2017
Hi,
Can someone please help me as I'm really worried. I basically first entered canada on a working holiday visa and got a sin straight away. Then I moved onto a open work study permit but wasn't aware I had to renew my SIN to match my new permit. I stopped working to take time out to study before my sin expired so i never worked illegally on it or anything. After I realised my mistake about a month ago I went to try to renew the date but I was refused as I didn't have the original copy of the study permit (as I never received it from CIC). I've now applied for a post grad visa and am on implied status so can legally work while waiting for my new permit but i now dont have a sin. My question is can I still use my expired sin until I get my new permit and then go renew it or will I be able to change the expiry date. I can't turn down this job and I want to do everything above board without getting into trouble. What should I do? Any help is appreciated.
*UPDATE* Just in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation to me, I managed to speak to Services Canada directly and they told me that I was fine to use my original SIN as I have implied status. It'll be the same number once I get my new permit so all my taxes etc. will be filed through the same number. All I have to do is update it once I get my PGWP :)

Wendy35

Oct 30, 2017
I am waiting for my PGWP application result and my SIN will expire a week from now. My employer was telling me I can’t work since my SIN will expire soon. I am on implied status, will I stop working and wait for my PGWP application result? Hope someone can answer me. Thank you.