+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN registration and taxes

dodrks

Nov 5, 2018
I recently landed in Canada for my PR registration. However, I currently work in EU and will be going back soon.
Do I need to apply for SIN right away or can that wait for a few years? I don't plan on opening a bank account or working for a while in Canada. Anything that might make me liable to pay taxes here. Does having a SIN inherently mean I'm obligated to pay taxes?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
I recently landed in Canada for my PR registration. However, I currently work in EU and will be going back soon.
Do I need to apply for SIN right away or can that wait for a few years? I don't plan on opening a bank account or working for a while in Canada. Anything that might make me liable to pay taxes here. Does having a SIN inherently mean I'm obligated to pay taxes?
You dont NEED to get a SIN as soon as possible, it is up to you. Merely getting one on a soft landing does not make you liable to Canadian tax.

You say you are going back to EU 'for a few years'. You ARE aware that you are liable to maintaining you residency in Canada obligation from the date you land and declare pr in Canada, or you will risk being reported and possibly lose PR

dodrks

Nov 5, 2018
You dont NEED to get a SIN as soon as possible, it is up to you. Merely getting one on a soft landing does not make you liable to Canadian tax.

You say you are going back to EU 'for a few years'. You ARE aware that you are liable to maintaining you residency in Canada obligation from the date you land and declare pr in Canada, or you will risk being reported and possibly lose PR
Hey! Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm aware of the time constraint, but I'm hoping to come back before I make myself invalid.

If SIN has no affect on tax thing, I might as well get it. One less thing to worry about in life.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hey! Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm aware of the time constraint, but I'm hoping to come back before I make myself invalid.

If SIN has no affect on tax thing, I might as well get it. One less thing to worry about in life.
It's generally recommended that you get the SIN as soon as possible, partly because the COPR alone will not allow you to get a SIN after a year.
If there are any issues with obtaining your PR card, you might need to return on a PRTD and that won't be accepted, as far as I am aware, for a new SIN. Only the PR card will.