+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN number short landing

Eksler

Star Member
Jun 11, 2015
Hi! Is it mandatory to receive sin straight after landing(plan to make a short landing )or can it be received later in a year or 18 when I relocate to Canada permanently? If I don't apply for sin won't make any problems at the time of pr extension?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You can use the COPR for up to 1 year to obtain a SIN number. After that, it's a bit more hassle. Not sure why you wouldn't get a SIN number (unless your landing is less than a day or two) as it only takes about 30 minutes to do.

Eksler

Star Member
Jun 11, 2015
What hassle is that after one year? What should be done later? You're right, l have a short landing.

Eksler

Star Member
Jun 11, 2015
I found the following:

• Confirmation of Permanent Residenceissued by IRCC, accompanied by either a travel document (for example, a foreign passport) or an alternate photo identification issued by a provincial/territorial authority (for example, a driver’s licence). Note: The Confirmation of Permanent Residence is acceptable if used within one year of the date you became a permanent resident. The permanent resident card is required after this period.
So if I get pr card with through my friends, there's no need to worry and it won't cause problems to extend pr card later?

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
June 02, 2015 (MR, RPRF, & PCC for Spouse)
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent w/Application: L-8.5, R-9.0, W-9.0, S-8.5
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
June 19, 2015; TLU (Medical results have been received): July 20, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Required as I was a US Citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Issued Jan 07, 2016 - Arrived in Mail Jan 21, 2016
LANDED..........
June 19, 2016 - FINALLY - HURRAY!!!!
What hassle is that after one year? What should be done later? You're right, l have a short landing.
If you do a short landing and get your PR card mailed to a friends so you can have it sent to you by them later, then sure, you could apply for your SIN later using your PR card. However, I agree with Buletruck, it would be much easier to get it during your short landing. When my family and I first landed we only stayed for 12 days. While there we all got our SIN numbers. I concur also that it is very quick and only takes about 30 minutes to do. In my family we are 5, so they were even kind enough to split us up between agents so we would get in and out more quickly. To me it just makes more sense to get it and that way also you don't have to deal with any questions later about why you never got it until later when you apply with your PR card.