+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN No. - Address clarification...

lone_wolf

Jun 10, 2023
I have three questions to be covered related to my SIN application:
1. Can I apply for SIN No. by visiting in-person to a Canada service centre on an earlier date (earlier than the date mentioned on my lease agreement) and get a SIN number..... Like let us say the lease starts on September 1st 2023, can I visit in-person and get a SIN number on 13th August 2023???
2.Is it a must to show proof of residence even if you are doing an in-person application for SIN?
3. Can you use Airbnb for SIN number residence proof?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Can I apply for SIN No. by visiting in-person to a Canada service centre on an earlier date (earlier than the date mentioned on my lease agreement) and get a SIN number..... Like let us say the lease starts on September 1st 2023, can I visit in-person and get a SIN number on 13th August 2023???
2.Is it a must to show proof of residence even if you are doing an in-person application for SIN?
But usually AirBnb host don't let its renters to use the postal address. You should ask your host first.

sarab1402

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Here's the best solution for you and it worked for me as well.
Once you are done with check-in go to the nearest mall and get the phone number ( If you got the Fido I can refer you will get $60 off for the first month)
For the number, you need to carry your original passport and your valid permit. Get the number and they will ask for the address and give the Airbnb address. Tell them you need a print copy, and they will give it to you. Then go to service Canada and apply for SIN for address proof show telecom print and you are done.
Once you find your permanent stay location call the telecom company and change the address.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: lone_wolf

lone_wolf

Jun 10, 2023
Here's the best solution for you and it worked for me as well.
Once you are done with check-in go to the nearest mall and get the phone number ( If you got the Fido I can refer you will get $60 off for the first month)
For the number, you need to carry your original passport and your valid permit. Get the number and they will ask for the address and give the Airbnb address. Tell them you need a print copy, and they will give it to you. Then go to service Canada and apply for SIN for address proof show telecom print and you are done.
Once you find your permanent stay location call the telecom company and change the address.

Hope this helps.
Now that is a cool idea. Will look into it... Thanks

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Sharing experience from 2022, but please check the latest requirements and do your own research (https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin.html)

1. Yes you can visit in person. you can either walk in OR book an appointment - https://eservices.canada.ca/en/service/. When you visit, you dont need any proof of address but you need to mention the address verbally
2. Proof of residence is only needed when applying online , not when you visit Service Canada
3. As mentioned by @steaky , you need to confirm with the host

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
If i were in your place, I would never give AIR BNB address. It’s not safe . Do you have any friends or coworkers you know. Give their address. Also if you do in person visit to service Canada for sin they don’t need your address because they print right away and give you sin number in few minutes.

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
In short - yes. That's what we did. We booked our Airbnb for the first 3 months and got our SIN done in person on our second day here.
If you do it in person, you have to provide an address but no proof of address is required.
Also, when you move, you don't need to update your address for SIN so it doesn't matter if the address you provided is just a temporary one.

To answer your questions:
1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
If i were in your place, I would never give AIR BNB address. It’s not safe . Do you have any friends or coworkers you know. Give their address. Also if you do in person visit to service Canada for sin they don’t need your address because they print right away and give you sin number in few minutes.
Why is it not safe if you're applying for SIN in person? Service Canada won't send any documents to the address, you get them straight away during your appointment.
Unless you meant it for online application only but the post was about an in-person appointment.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Why is it not safe if you're applying for SIN in person? Service Canada won't send any documents to the address, you get them straight away during your appointment.
Unless you meant it for online application only but the post was about an in-person appointment.
U haven’t said it’s not safe to do walkins . Doing walk in is best option to get sin number as they give you right away. I was talking about applying through mail and giving Air bnb address.