Buffalo-->LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2011
AOR Received.
01-12-2011
File Transfer...
28-10-2011, 15-12-2011 (transferred to LA)
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2012
LANDED..........
08-03-2012
So my wife is a PR. We've only taken short trips the last 4.5 years to the US, less than two months total. Rest of the time she's been in Canada. Now, for the trips outside Canada section, what if we don't remember the date of every single trip? Would it be ok to just have them request the info from CBSA?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
cantor2537 said:
So my wife is a PR. We've only taken short trips the last 4.5 years to the US, less than two months total. Rest of the time she's been in Canada. Now, for the trips outside Canada section, what if we don't remember the date of every single trip? Would it be ok to just have them request the info from CBSA?
You need to mention all your visits outside Canada. If you don't remember the dates, write an explanation letter. Also you still need to authorize CIC to access you history of entries into Canada from CBSA

If you don't remember the dates then order your CBSA reports (Canada) and CBP records (USA) and do the comparison and accordingly fill the form. Note: The reports may or may not be complete so just do a comparison and also try to remember the information as well.

CBSA records: (Usually takes 30-40 days to arrive)
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

CBP records: (1 week to many months to arrive)
https://foiaonline.regulations.gov/foia/action/public/request/publicPreCreate
Make sure you create an account. Do not continue as guest.

Quick way to see your CBP records(the report may or may not be accurate/complete though):
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/

cantor2537

Star Member
Jun 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2011
AOR Received.
01-12-2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2012
LANDED..........
08-03-2012
Thanks. My wife is a US citizen. Not sure if this makes a difference.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
cantor2537 said:
Thanks. My wife is a US citizen. Not sure if this makes a difference.
Please check my previous post marked in Red. That option does not work for US Citizens.

Whatever rest is mentioned, your wife can consider doing it in order to get her CBSA and CBP records.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Some additional observations or reminders:

When applying for a PR card or for citizenship, it is the PR's obligation to report all travel dates. The burden is squarely on the PR. Thus, Canadian PRs should keep precise records documenting dates of travel abroad (including to the U.S.), and records regarding place of residence, employment, and other aspects of living in Canada.

U.S. citizens living abroad should keep precise records of travel dates to the U.S. While the importance of this is dependent on the individual's tax filing status, typically the U.S. citizen should have this information to report (in tax returns) if necessary.

Reminder: for U.S. citizens living abroad, the threshold for mandatory filing of U.S. tax return is minimal, even for a U.S. citizen who does not visit the U.S. at all. The threshold for FATCA filing requirements (pursuant to which all U.S. citizens are required to report details about bank and investment accounts outside the U.S.) is a mere ten thousand dollars total, that is the total of all accounts combined, including amounts in joint accounts or accounts for which the U.S. citizen has any interest in or signatory authority for. Penalties for failure to make this annual filing are severe: there is a ten thousand dollar penalty even if there are NO taxes due, even if the failure to report has no significance other than the mere failure to report. Best case scenario can still be incredibly expensive.

Reporting estimated past travel dates:

Again, when reporting travel history for either a PR card application or for a citizenship application, it is the PR's obligation to accurately and completely report ALL dates of exit from Canada and dates of entry into Canada.

PRs who failed to keep a record of their travel need to reconstruct, as best they possibly can (and this means putting some serious effort into it), their travel history. The PR should readily acknowledge and explain, on a separate page, any uncertainty about the reported travel, and provide a detailed estimation of any travel not specifically reported.

thecoolguysam identified some resources for obtaining what information the respective Canadian and U.S. authorities might have regarding travel dates. These can be used to assist the PR's effort to fully reconstruct travel dates, but should not be relied upon to be complete. Additional sources of potentially helpful information includes credit card history, email references to trips, recollection of family and friends, history of time off work or out of school related to travel, and so on.

For a PR card application, the PR who has been long settled in Canada, living in Canada, and for whom the total amount of absences compared to time spent in Canada is relatively small, some estimation as to the number of trips and time abroad should not cause a problem. If in addition the PR has been working in Canada, or living with a Canadian citizen spouse, the risk of a problem is even lower. Far better to report all travel accurately, but for the PR who is well settled in Canada the risks are low for at least the first PR card renewal.

Thus, for the PR card, while the PR should make a concerted effort to accurately reconstruct the travel history, the PR who is settled and living in Canada probably has no reason to worry if the PR makes a reasonable effort to report his or her travel history.

When applying for citizenship, however, the applicant needs to get really close to accurately reporting all travel. Then the PR needs to make a dedicated effort to reconstruct precise dates and to at least report an accurate number for all overnight trips.

Again, while the information the U.S. and Canada can provide will be helpful, it cannot be relied upon to be complete.

Hamid khan

Champion Member
Apr 29, 2013
thecoolguysam said:
You need to mention all your visits outside Canada. If you don't remember the dates, write an explanation letter. Also you still need to authorize CIC to access you history of entries into Canada from CBSA

If you don't remember the dates then order your CBSA reports (Canada) and CBP records (USA) and do the comparison and accordingly fill the form. Note: The reports may or may not be complete so just do a comparison and also try to remember the information as well.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

Quick way to see your CBP records(the report may or may not be accurate/complete though):
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/

you said :

when i will apply
should i give my UCI

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Use Privacy Act and choose Case Files.

If you need help, there is a "> ?" next to the drop down menu

Provide as much information as you can like your complete name, date of birth, PR card# (it's on the back of PR card), UCI#, your complete mailing address, your passport details (biographical info) of the passports used to enter Canada etc etc.

simoncanada

Dec 3, 2015
thecoolguysam said:
Use Privacy Act and choose Case Files.

If you need help, there is a "> ?" next to the drop down menu

Provide as much information as you can like your complete name, date of birth, PR card# (it's on the back of PR card), UCI#, your complete mailing address, your passport details (biographical info) of the passports used to enter Canada etc etc.
I have a question relevant this topic :

When we applied for immigration we filled up consent form ( IMM 5744 )

For CIBC record do we need to fill up that form or not

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
simoncanada said:
I have a question relevant this topic :

When we applied for immigration we filled up consent form ( IMM 5744 )

For CIBC record do we need to fill up that form or not
This form is for people who want to authorize IRCC/CIC to release your information to someone else other than yourself.

For ordering your CBSA records, just use the online link:

https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do

The records will come by mail in 30-40 days.

simoncanada

Dec 3, 2015
thecoolguysam said:
This form is for people who want to authorize IRCC/CIC to release your information to someone else other than yourself.

For ordering your CBSA records, just use the online link:

https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do

The records will come by mail in 30-40 days.

excellent you r so helpful for this forum

may god bless you

cantor2537

Star Member
Jun 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2011
AOR Received.
01-12-2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2012
LANDED..........
08-03-2012
thecoolguysam said:
Please check my previous post marked in Red. That option does not work for US Citizens.

Whatever rest is mentioned, your wife can consider doing it in order to get her CBSA and CBP records.
I tried the link in red, that does not work for her.

So can we request it from CBSA? I did already. We reconstructed all of our major trips, but for day trips, it's really hard.

cantor2537

Star Member
Jun 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2011
AOR Received.
01-12-2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2012
LANDED..........
08-03-2012
The main issue is we did have some day trips to the US. Any trip longer than 1 day I remember and have listed. A few times, we went down to Point Roberts for like 2 hours, to Bellingham for like 6-8 hours. How accurate do they want this?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
The link in Red does not apply to US/Canadian Citizens. It only works for the people who have visa to enter USA.

Try the following links:

If it is a same day trip, you still need to list it. The burden is on the applicant to declare all his/her absences from Canada. If you are not sure, you need to write an explanation letter to explain that you are not sure about all the trips and provide the complete accurate explanation.