+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sikkim Manipal University + WES

Nilofar

Jan 4, 2015
Hi guys,

I just paid the fees for the WES evaluation but haven't sent them the documents yet.

I came across this post now about SMU not being recognized and it's truly depressing.

Question - Shall I cancel my assessment with WES and instead send the documents to ICAS?

Please advise.

bhuvan12

Star Member
Sep 19, 2014
Bhairahawa, Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent With Application
File Transfer...
File Returned on 6th March 2015
Nilofar said:
Hi guys,

I just paid the fees for the WES evaluation but haven't sent them the documents yet.

I came across this post now about SMU not being recognized and it's truly depressing.

Question - Shall I cancel my assessment with WES and instead send the documents to ICAS?

Please advise.
Hello
I too didn't send my MBA SMUDE Transcripts as it was not recognized by WES. I just evaluated my Bachelor Degree.
You too can do the same or try once may be they have updated now.

NJ_SKG

Nov 24, 2014
WES is not the only good Credential Evaluation Agency in world. There are many others. I have read about many cases in which people have got H1B based on SMU DDE degree in past. Please search and do as required !!!

srnagu

Jan 25, 2015
Nilofar said:
Hi guys,

Please advise.

Hi, Did you get your money refund? I'm in same situation

Abhay2050

Mar 30, 2015
Did any one else have luck other than cooldesk1986 ?

I am going to be writing my 6th Sem BCA SMUDE exams, and found it disappointing it is not recognised by WES. I now have a headache that cannot be cured!! Did i just waste 3 years of my time??

After all the research i did, here is what i found:
During 2012 and 2014, SMU had not renewed its status with UGC and was not showing as one of the recognized universities by UGC.
But since 2014 it is recognized.
WES seems to have trouble noticing SMUDE as approved university by UGC.
When Distance education institutes like 'madurai kamaraj university distance education' and 'Annamalai university' are recognised i hope WES recognises SMUDE !!

Getting it approved by WES is better as it applies to both USA and Canada, you need not get reverified again if you plan to go to USA.

So here is my suggestion based on what cooldesk2986 did, and when more people try this please update the forum!

When your application to WES comes out as a non recognised university from WES, query them like below:

>>The Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences, Gangtok is incorporated under the State Legislative Act (Act IX of 1995) of the Government of Sikkim.
>> Sikkim Manipal University is recognised by University Grants Commission (UGC), Ministry of HRD and is a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
>> Recognised by Distance Education Council (DEC)
>> SMU is a member of association of commonwealth universities (ACU) UK.
>> Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences is a part of Sikkim Manipal University ( the shows like this under UGC )

So by WES standards this university should be recognized.
Request for a reason for non recognition of SMU, go to consumer court in India if their reason is valid.

THE SUPER KING

Oct 5, 2012
HYDERABAD INDIA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Abhay2050 said:
Did any one else have luck other than cooldesk1986 ?

I am going to be writing my 6th Sem BCA SMUDE exams, and found it disappointing it is not recognised by WES. I now have a headache that cannot be cured!! Did i just waste 3 years of my time??

After all the research i did, here is what i found:
During 2012 and 2014, SMU had not renewed its status with UGC and was not showing as one of the recognized universities by UGC.
But since 2014 it is recognized.
WES seems to have trouble noticing SMUDE as approved university by UGC.
When Distance education institutes like 'madurai kamaraj university distance education' and 'Annamalai university' are recognised i hope WES recognises SMUDE !!

Getting it approved by WES is better as it applies to both USA and Canada, you need not get reverified again if you plan to go to USA.

So here is my suggestion based on what cooldesk2986 did, and when more people try this please update the forum!

When your application to WES comes out as a non recognised university from WES, query them like below:

>>The Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences, Gangtok is incorporated under the State Legislative Act (Act IX of 1995) of the Government of Sikkim.
>> Sikkim Manipal University is recognised by University Grants Commission (UGC), Ministry of HRD and is a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
>> Recognised by Distance Education Council (DEC)
>> SMU is a member of association of commonwealth universities (ACU) UK.
>> Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences is a part of Sikkim Manipal University ( the shows like this under UGC )

So by WES standards this university should be recognized.
Request for a reason for non recognition of SMU, go to consumer court in India if their reason is valid.
Nicely explained

Abhay2050

Mar 30, 2015
clickmes said:
Abhay, SMU is not recognized by WES..
Yes, i understand it is not recognised at this time. This whole last week it is running in my head every hour!!
Are we not going to do something to change this? All the years we put into SMU is of no use for us??
At that time when i wanted to study every one said SMU is a good university join there!!! I had no clue!
And i still hear the same thing from people, calling SMU the #1 distance school in India !!!!!!

We need to know the reason from WES why it is not recognising SMU, and then we can take this up with SMU and UGC.

Today's news says there is a new grievance portal for students by UGC.. i am unable to paste official site link here, google ' Grievance Redressal Portal - University Grants Commission '
Anyway i cannot go to WES until i finish my 6th sem and have my results on paper.
I request people who have already got the verification done to go to WES for a reason for not recognising SMU.
Don't question them, or demand ( which i feel is what we do when we panic, here in the sub continent ). They are doing the job like they are instructed. All we need to know is the reason why they don't qualify SMU at this time.

Thank you Superking for liking my post, I hope WES notices our concern.

Abhay2050

Mar 30, 2015
I might have found the reason why SMU is not recognised by WES!
Check this link : wes.org/students/indiapolicy.asp ( add www )

It states If you earned a degree in Division 1 / Grade A that your degree be recognised by WES.
It also states the university should be approved by NAAC along with UGC.
Sikkim manipal university is recognised by UGC and not by NAAC!
web5.kar.nic.in/naac_ec/NAAC_accreditlist_pdf.aspx ( add http at the begining )

How do we change this!

NJ_SKG

Nov 24, 2014
Hi Abhay2050,

I have checked the WES URL shared by you.
What WES implies that if you get 1st division in your 3 years degree program AND your University is accredited by NAAC (Rated as A) then your 3 years bachelor degree is Equivalent to 4 years US bachelor degree. It also means that your 15 years of Indian education is equivalent to 16 years of US education. This equivalency is more useful for the people who want to pursue Master degree program in US.

About NAAC accreditation:
SMU should approach NAAC for audit and accreditation.

I as well have MSC CS degree from SMU and I am also worried and that why I am pursuing another Master from Bharathiar Univ, DE ( MSc CS -> MCA credit Transfer/lateral entry directly to 3rd year of MCA) to avoid future troubles.

NJ_SKG

Nov 24, 2014
Hi Abhay2050,

The SMU is still not recognized. It's recognition has not renewed after 2011-12.

I found below Remarks on the UGC/DEB portal.

Remarks:
Matter for further recognition is subjudice
as per the Writ Petition No. 4 of 2013
titled as “Sikkim Manipal University v/s
IGNOU at the Honourable High Court of
Sikkim”

URL

ugc.ac.in/deb/pdf/Final_list_for_website_2014-15.pdf

Thanks,

Abhay2050

Mar 30, 2015
From the pdf link i infer, UGC recognition holds good for 2014-15, further recognition is at stake!

For NAAC accreditation, I wrote SMU an email and also logged an internal ticket in 'myzone' on SMU's website.

naac.gov.in/docs/Status%20-%20Universities%20-5%203%2014.pdf (add http www )
This link from NAAC october 2014 says Sikkim-Manipal University of Health, Medical & Technological Sciences is eligible for NAAC but has not applied!
But does not show any remark for sikkim manipal university.

I am hoping CES is not looking for NAAC approval,
I am wishing the best for one of of us here who has applied and waiting eagerly for the results.

Abhay2050

Mar 30, 2015
You are right NJ_SKG,
There is a case pending in Sikkim high court.. DEC recognition of SMU depends on the high court decision.
If SMU loses the case, it would not even get recognised in India!!

I am thinking of taking a transfer from SMU to Annamalai university for 3rd year BCA and finish my graduation from Annamalai.

Icandian

Apr 14, 2015
cooldek1986 said:
Sorry Guys..I'm was extremely busy in filling applications forms and appying for the FSW..

I just contacted thru email that it is a part of Manipal Academyh of Higher Education and recognized by DEC/UGC and AIU/...That's it...
Then I got my revised ECA reprot stating Institution status and Canadian Equivalency..

Sorry for the late reply...
To, Cooldek1986 or anyone who can help....
Can you please send me this magical email that got WES to say recognized University for SMU. I would be indebted to you guys. I have spoken to WES to change their unrecognized stand and facing a tough time. Please help.