+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sikkim Manipal University DE B.Com and ECA from IQAS

nishver

Oct 24, 2018
Hey Guys,

I was a student at one of the SMU Distance Education centres located in Punjab. I had completed my 3 years course of BACHELORS OF COMMERCE from Feb, 2012 to Feb, 2015, while after a lot of hard work, had been awarded with a degree securing B Grade.

As now I want to pursue my future working in Canada and for that I had sent my credentials to IQAS for the necessary educational assessment. It has been almost 6 months now that I have not received any conclusive report from them and upon being asked they have replied as follows:

"We have reasonable grounds to believe that your credential is not recognized based on research we have conducted so far. The Bachelor of Commerce at Sikkim Manipal University was not listed by the University Grants Commission (UGC) as an approved program, based on the time at which you attended. Only specialized programs are listed. As a matter of procedural fairness, we have contacted the UGC directly to verify our research, prior to concluding your application. To date, they have not responded. We are not able to complete the assessment until we receive a conclusive response from the UGC"

After researching on the matter, I got to know about Sikkim High Court order stating that students whose degrees will be ‘protected’ include those:

1. who had completed their course before 2011-12
2. others who had started their programme prior to 2011-12
3. those admitted for the programmes any day after February 22, 2013, till June 26, 2015

Acknowledging this, I was forced to believe that my degree is not valid as I had started my B.Com programme in year 2012.

But upon calling Sikkim Manipal University toll free number and asking them the same, they in response are saying that under these court orders my degree is valid and protected, and under no circumstances I should be facing any problem from getting a positive ECA.

My questions for the sake of clarification are:

1. Is my research on this valid or not? or Am I protected with my degree under the law?

2. What should I be doing in such situation to get a positive ECA from IQAS?

3. Is there any other SMU B.Com student from year 2012 who is facing the issue? has the solution?

Your valuable feedback can really save my future from getting jeopardised.

Thank you

bhallachetan

Oct 3, 2011
IO
Hey Guys,

I was a student at one of the SMU Distance Education centres located in Punjab. I had completed my 3 years course of BACHELORS OF COMMERCE from Feb, 2012 to Feb, 2015, while after a lot of hard work, had been awarded with a degree securing B Grade.

As now I want to pursue my future working in Canada and for that I had sent my credentials to IQAS for the necessary educational assessment. It has been almost 6 months now that I have not received any conclusive report from them and upon being asked they have replied as follows:

"We have reasonable grounds to believe that your credential is not recognized based on research we have conducted so far. The Bachelor of Commerce at Sikkim Manipal University was not listed by the University Grants Commission (UGC) as an approved program, based on the time at which you attended. Only specialized programs are listed. As a matter of procedural fairness, we have contacted the UGC directly to verify our research, prior to concluding your application. To date, they have not responded. We are not able to complete the assessment until we receive a conclusive response from the UGC"

After researching on the matter, I got to know about Sikkim High Court order stating that students whose degrees will be ‘protected’ include those:

3. those admitted for the programmes any day after February 22, 2013, till June 26, 2015

Acknowledging this, I was forced to believe that my degree is not valid as I had started my B.Com programme in year 2012.

But upon calling Sikkim Manipal University toll free number and asking them the same, they in response are saying that under these court orders my degree is valid and protected, and under no circumstances I should be facing any problem from getting a positive ECA.

1. Is my research on this valid or not? or Am I protected with my degree under the law?

3. Is there any other SMU B.Com student from year 2012 who is facing the issue? has the solution?

Thank you
You need to share the court order copy with IQAS as first step explaining them the whole situation. It might work in your favor.

ashwinibm.canada

Star Member
Apr 10, 2018
Hey Guys,

Thank you
Did you try through ICAS or ICES ?

Vaivi

Sep 13, 2018
he
Hey Guys,

Thank you
hey,
i am facing the same situation like you...is it possible for you to share your mobile number so that we can speak..

Dec 4, 2018
Hey Guys,

Thank you
Dear brother, I have sent my documents to IQAS on 15 OCT 2018 and my transcript was sent to them by SMU on 6th Nov 2018. I have not received any update yet ? Will they assess my BCA degree from SMU DE ? I passed out in 2011. Joined in 2007 in Kolkata.
Please revert if you have any information.

Regards,
Khurshid.

shiv_canada

Dec 11, 2018
hi guys, anyone here started MBA DE in 2013 and finished in 2015. can anyone confirm if march 2013 -- june 2015 lateral entry mba recognized by UGC and in turn by ICAS/IQAS?