+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sickness benefits during pregnancy(considered social assistance?)

Lolopizzo

Feb 1, 2020
Would sickness benefits during pregnancy be considered welfare or social assistance? I am sponsoring my husband, our inland application sent in March but of course like everybody else we are stuck in the waiting game.

I have placenta previa and in short could risk bleeding to death, due to this I am supposed to be on bed rest and not working.My maternity leave can’t begin until September 4th so until then I was told to go on sickness benefits.

I had two jobs before covid, one full time in the service industry which I currently am on a LOA from, and the other casual(which I work full time hours) in healthcare. Neither have sick benefits from the employer due to me being a casual employee.

I can’t afford to not work or receive some sort of benefit, but if sickness benefits from the government void being able to sponsor my husband I will risk my health and continue to work till September even though it scares me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Please what did you later do? Were you approved as sponsor?
Application was only submitted in March. Too early to receive sponsor approval at this time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Would sickness benefits during pregnancy be considered welfare or social assistance? I am sponsoring my husband, our inland application sent in March but of course like everybody else we are stuck in the waiting game.

I have placenta previa and in short could risk bleeding to death, due to this I am supposed to be on bed rest and not working.My maternity leave can’t begin until September 4th so until then I was told to go on sickness benefits.

I had two jobs before covid, one full time in the service industry which I currently am on a LOA from, and the other casual(which I work full time hours) in healthcare. Neither have sick benefits from the employer due to me being a casual employee.

I can’t afford to not work or receive some sort of benefit, but if sickness benefits from the government void being able to sponsor my husband I will risk my health and continue to work till September even though it scares me.
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by sickness benefits. However as long as you are not on social assistance, you'll be fine.

kingfintan

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
Application was only submitted in March. Too early to receive sponsor approval at this time.
Hello Scylla can my wife sponsor me if she is on maternity leave, she is a health care aide and her full time term position would be off when she goes on mat leave. She has been able to acquire almost 800 hours. Do we say she is working in Canada on the IMM form even if she is on mat leave. Or do we just say unemployed then add her mat leave document. Your input would be appreciated

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Scylla can my wife sponsor me if she is on maternity leave, she is a health care aide and her full time term position would be off when she goes on mat leave. She has been able to acquire almost 800 hours. Do we say she is working in Canada on the IMM form even if she is on mat leave. Or do we just say unemployed then add her mat leave document. Your input would be appreciated
Yes, she can sponsor you on mat leave.

You should say she is on mat leave on the form.

kingfintan

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
Yes, she can sponsor you on mat leave.

You should say she is on mat leave on the form.
The problem is there is nowhere on the form that says maternity leave. There are only two options either are you currently working in Canada or are you unemployed. Which option suite her situation?? Thank you Scylla

DiiDii

Apr 8, 2019
Toronto Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston VO
App. Filed.......
01-23-2020
AOR Received.
02-06-2020
File Transfer...
23-01-2021
Med's Request
18-09-2020
Med's Done....
23-09-2020
Passport Req..
13-07-2021
The problem is there is nowhere on the form that says maternity leave. There are only two options either are you currently working in Canada or are you unemployed. Which option suite her situation?? Thank you Scylla
You say unemploymed then where it says job title or something like that you elaborate and say maternity leave.

kingfintan

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
You say unemploymed then where it says job title or something like that you elaborate and say maternity leave.
Have you had similar case before. Because if I say unemployed. They only expect me to say how she will support me. Am just curious tho

kingfintan

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
She will have to show she can support you whether employer or unemployed.
Hello what does she need to show that she can support me. Is her maternity pay biweekly and our savings of almost 10,000 cad enough?. She will apply for a new position when she finishes her mat leave. What do we show?. And can I the applicant get a letter of support from my brother who is a professor at Harvard university. I would be happy if you can respond to my questions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello what does she need to show that she can support me. Is her maternity pay biweekly and our savings of almost 10,000 cad enough?. She will apply for a new position when she finishes her mat leave. What do we show?. And can I the applicant get a letter of support from my brother who is a professor at Harvard university. I would be happy if you can respond to my questions.
Your savings and may leave should be fine. If the brother is not living in Canada I wouldn’t include him as family support.

kingfintan

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
Your savings and may leave should be fine. If the brother is not living in Canada I wouldn’t include him as family support.
Thank you , and lastly we intend to submit our app by January, do we have to use the option C of 2019? Because by January 2021 I don’t think option c for 2020 would be ready by then as new tax filling period start February . Do we have to wait to file for the next tax which usually start by February ending.