+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIblings in Canada - Are sister in-laws considered ?

titus_1992

Jun 10, 2019
India
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Hey all ,

Quick question - I'm in the express entry pool and would like to know if i can claim the 15 points for siblings in canada.

Scenario - My Brothers wife is a PR resident in canda working in the IT sector .

Do let me know if this can be claimed .

It states that the brother/sister should be related by blood,marriage,common-law partnership or adoption. - Marriage as in what marriage ? Step Sister Relation or Sister in-law relation ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey all ,

Quick question - I'm in the express entry pool and would like to know if i can claim the 15 points for siblings in canada.

Scenario - My Brothers wife is a PR resident in canda working in the IT sector .

Do let me know if this can be claimed .

It states that the brother/sister should be related by blood,marriage,common-law partnership or adoption. - Marriage as in what marriage ? Step Sister Relation or Sister in-law relation ?
No.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/03/express_entry_improvementsspring2017.html

The sibling in Canada must share a mother or father with the principal Express Entry applicant or their spouse or common-law partner. This relationship can be through blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption.

titus_1992

Jun 10, 2019
India
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
No.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/03/express_entry_improvementsspring2017.html

The sibling in Canada must share a mother or father with the principal Express Entry applicant or their spouse or common-law partner. This relationship can be through blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption.
My Brother has already applied for his spousal sponsorship and is in process - Do you think there could be a chance here or do i have to wait till my gets his PR

haihttran

Nov 5, 2019
From official website of Canadian government:

“Additional points for candidates with siblings in Canada

The Express Entry system will begin awarding 15 points to candidates with siblings in Canada.

To get these points, candidates will need to show that the sibling is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is living in Canada and is 18 years of age or older.

Studies have shown that as newcomers build a new life in Canada, those with siblings benefit by having improved integration into Canadian society.”

(Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/03/express_entry_improvementsspring2017.html)

Additionally, the CRS tool also states obviously:

“10) Do you or your spouse or common law partner (if they will come with you to Canada) have at least one brother or sister living in Canada who is a citizen or permanent resident?
Note: to answer yes, the brother or sister must be:

• 18 years old or older
  • related to you or your partner by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption
  • have a parent in common with you or your partner
A brother or sister is related to you by:

• blood (biological)
  • adoption
  • marriage (step-brother or step-sister)”
You/your partner and the sibling must have a parent in common.

(Source: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My Brother has already applied for his spousal sponsorship and is in process - Do you think there could be a chance here or do i have to wait till my gets his PR
Zero chance. You can't claim points for your brother until he is actually a PR.