Sibling Points

swapnil14

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Hello all,
I am going to apply under CEC. Currently I'm working on PGWP in the field of my study in Canada. I'm also having a visitor visa since I didn't plan to study or settle down in Canada 4 years ago. My sister is PR and she had sponsored me and my parents 4 years ago for visitor visa and luckily I still have those documents with me. Currently I'm estranged from her and not having any communication due to family dispute. My question is, can I get 15 points for siblings in Canada if I provide her old documents ( From 2016) and mention in the LOE that due to these circumstances I'm not able to produce her recent documents? ( Ofcourse address is not the same as 2016)
Any help would be really appreciated!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,
I am going to apply under CEC. Currently I'm working on PGWP in the field of my study in Canada. I'm also having a visitor visa since I didn't plan to study or settle down in Canada 4 years ago. My sister is PR and she had sponsored me and my parents 4 years ago for visitor visa and luckily I still have those documents with me. Currently I'm estranged from her and not having any communication due to family dispute. My question is, can I get 15 points for siblings in Canada if I provide her old documents ( From 2016) and mention in the LOE that due to these circumstances I'm not able to produce her recent documents? ( Ofcourse address is not the same as 2016)
Any help would be really appreciated!
Unfortunately you cannot. You need current / recent documents to prove her residency in Canada.

Part of the reason you receive the additional points is because IRCC is giving you credit for having a support network in Canada. If you are estranged, your sister isn't a support network for you and I don't think there's any chance an LOE will work.

Reactions: Islander216

swapnil14

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Unfortunately you cannot. You need current / recent documents to prove her residency in Canada.

Part of the reason you receive the additional points is because IRCC is giving you credit for having a support network in Canada. If you are estranged, your sister isn't a support network for you and I don't think there's any chance an LOE will work.
But if I say no that I don't have any siblings in Canada to not to claim those points, wouldn't it be misleading?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
You would need to provide a copy of her PR card and a utility bill to support your claim for sibling points.

Either repair your relationship with her and then get the documents you need, or as previously mentioned, just stated in your LOE that you're not claiming sibling points.

swapnil14

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
You would need to provide a copy of her PR card and a utility bill to support your claim for sibling points.

Either repair your relationship with her and then get the documents you need, or as previously mentioned, just stated in your LOE that you're not claiming sibling points.
I do have PR card and the address proof but it's not the current address. basically I can prove that she's my sibling and living in Canada as a permanent resident

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Yes, but there is a larger issue of having her permission to provide her details on an official application to IRCC. You know what i mean?

What if they ask for an additional document for her which you can't provide because she's unaware of this.

It becomes problematic. I don't know the inner dynamics of your family obviously, but i think most siblings would understand that this is an important process and would cooperate if you requested them to.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
basically I can prove that she's my sibling and living in Canada as a permanent resident
I disagree with this.

CIC won't accept evidence from 2016 as proof she is living in Canada. All you can prove at this time is that she is a PR. You cannot prove she is living in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I do have PR card and the address proof but it's not the current address. basically I can prove that she's my sibling and living in Canada as a permanent resident
Agree with scylla. You have no proof that she is living in Canada. She could have easily left at some point in the past 4 years. You cannot claim the points.

shafiuddin

Oct 18, 2017
hi!
I am on a work permit and will be eligible to apply pr within 2months. my brother-in-law( my sister's husband) is waiting for his PPR request.
my question is once he gets his COPR and he lands in Canada can I gain 15 points for a sibling?
In simple terms, can I gain 15 points from a brother-in-law(sister's husband)? my sister is not yet added to his profile( they recently got married).

ziadnasir

Jan 19, 2019
hi!
I am on a work permit and will be eligible to apply pr within 2months. my brother-in-law( my sister's husband) is waiting for his PPR request.
my question is once he gets his COPR and he lands in Canada can I gain 15 points for a sibling?
In simple terms, can I gain 15 points from a brother-in-law(sister's husband)? my sister is not yet added to his profile( they recently got married).
No you can not get points for brother in law. Your sister is not in his application still as well,
She needs to be in Canada as well for you to receive points. As you need to submit proof of her residence in Canada to claim those points.