+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sibling Points

fahdarif

Oct 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

My brother is a Canadian citizen, He recently moved back. Can I claim his 15 points? He has an active bank account and mailing address as he has not vacant everything.

May I know what is actually required to claim these 15 points.

Thank you

Holygun

Mar 28, 2012
Hi everyone,

My brother is a Canadian citizen, He recently moved back. Can I claim his 15 points? He has an active bank account and mailing address as he has not vacant everything.

Thank you

It doesn't matter where he lives, you can always claim the 15 points.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It doesn't matter where he lives, you can always claim the 15 points.
Incorrect. The sibling needs to be living in Canada to qualify for the 15 points. Applicants must submit proof as part of their application that the sibling is living in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

Thank you
Moved back where? If he isn't living in Canada and you try to pretend that he is because you need the points, that is immigration fraud.

Reactions: uppperkut

fahdarif

Oct 23, 2018
Moved back where? If he isn't living in Canada and you try to pretend that he is because you need the points, that is immigration fraud.
He is not living in Canada, but he may go back. What is definition of living? I mean he should be resident

haris_rasheed

Jul 13, 2018
Hi everyone,

Thank you
Ive claimed the same points. You need to answer 3 questions along with its documentation.

1. Proof of sibling PR/Citizenship? You will provide his citizenshp letter or passport copy.
2. Proof of sibling relationship? You will need to provide Your and sibling Birth Certificates which will determine your relationship.
3. Proof of Sibling living in Canada? You will have to provide any recent utility bill, bank statement or any other Canadian document which has your sibling name and address mentioned.

Though, if your brother is moving back in future, ask hm to give his bill or statement showing his name and address, things would be fine. But then again if IRCC will come to know that he is no more in Canada your application will be rejected. It depends on your luck ;)

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
A Canadian citizen and resident are 2 different things.

A resident is someone whose primary address, work, bank accounts, social life, are all in Canada. Their health card would also remain active. As a resident of Canada, you must pay taxes on worldwide income. If your brother has been living elsewhere for a while, he probably only submits his tax return as a non-resident, which is usually the strongest evidence that he's... a non-resident.

So he can't just say that he's been staying temporarily at a different country because it would make him a "Canadian resident for tax purposes".

- Temporarily out of Canada > Resident and must pay worldwide income.

- Permanently out of Canada > Non-resident and only pays tax on Canadian income (e.g. renting his house or condo)

Last edited:

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
Though, if your brother is moving back in future, ask hm to give his bill or statement showing his name and address, things would be fine. But then again if IRCC will come to know that he is no more in Canada your application will be rejected. It depends on your luck ;)
It's a lot more complicated than just giving a statement or a bill. When someone leaves Canada to move to another country permanently, they become non-residents to avoid paying worldwide taxes part of their Canadian tax return. If they don't do that, they'll be paying taxes in both countries. You can read more about it here: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/non-residents-canada.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
He is not living in Canada, but he may go back. What is definition of living? I mean he should be resident
He doesn't live in Canada. As I said, if you try to fake that he lives in Canada, it is fraud.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.