+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sibling afadavit

Hehree

Feb 8, 2020
Hi,

I'm claiming the points for having a relative who is Canadian citizen.

I already have the family card, birth certificates, etc.. translated (sworn with affidavit) but I'm not sure when I'll get the physical copies (to be legalized by local embassy) with some shipping problems back home.

I'm opting to send an affidavit first and if they require more, I'll send the translation and by that time hopefully, the documents would have physically arrived and legalized at local embassy.

Should we both be signing the same affidavit (if that's possible) or is it enough that I sign the affidavit swearing that my can citizen brother is my actual blood sibling?

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I already have the family card, birth certificates, etc.. translated (sworn with affidavit) but I'm not sure when I'll get the physical copies (to be legalized by local embassy) with some shipping problems back home.

I'm opting to send an affidavit first and if they require more, I'll send the translation and by that time hopefully, the documents would have physically arrived and legalized at local embassy.

Should we both be signing the same affidavit (if that's possible) or is it enough that I sign the affidavit swearing that my can citizen brother is my actual blood sibling?

An affadvait is worthless. You need to send the actual required documents. If you don't and your ITA depends on the sibling points, then expect your app to be refused.

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
I see, I also don't see a requirement of the document being legalized by embassies. I just wanted to be thorough and do that.

Is there such a requirement? Do most people do that extra step?

From the requirements:

1x translation of the original with affidavit
1x Photocopy notarized.

But for online application, a SCAN of the original, because it's not a photocopy, doesnt need to be notarized, is that correct ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I see, I also don't see a requirement of the document being legalized by embassies. I just wanted to be thorough and do that.

Is there such a requirement? Do most people do that extra step?

From the requirements:

1x translation of the original with affidavit
1x Photocopy notarized.

But for online application, a SCAN of the original, because it's not a photocopy, doesnt need to be notarized, is that correct ?
If it's not required, then doing it is a waste of time and money.

Just send the documents are required. If it says notarized, get it notarized.

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
Hi,

If you birth certificates showing same parents, you do not need anything else, family card sure, but affidavit is absolutely useless.

Reactions: scylla

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Ok notarizing doesn't have anything to do with the translation right.

The question is who can do the notarizing? A lawyer back home or a notary public in Canada?

It shouldn't be in Canada, right? Because how would they know what I'm showing them is ....anything, really.

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
Ok notarizing doesn't have anything to do with the translation right.

The question is who can do the notarizing? A lawyer back home or a notary public in Canada?

It shouldn't be in Canada, right? Because how would they know what I'm showing them is ....anything, really.
Notarization of true translation is different thing. That is normally used to verify that the copy is the true translation of the original document, and is usually required if you are not submitting original documents. You are talking about sworn affidavit. In Canada you need to physically swear it in front of commissioner of oaths or notary public, you swear it and sign it in front of the commissioner or notary public and then they put the red seal or whatever on it, then its legal and valid affidavit.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi,

I really don't understand why an affidavit?

There are 3 things you need:
  • Proof of your sibling's citizenship (passport)
  • Proof your sibling's place of residence (many options)
  • Proof of relationship (most commonly birth certificates, an affidavit is useless for this point)
To be able to claim these points your sibling must currently reside in Canada!

Hehree

Feb 8, 2020
I really don't understand why an affidavit?

There are 3 things you need:
  • Proof of your sibling's citizenship (passport)
  • Proof your sibling's place of residence (many options)
  • Proof of relationship (most commonly birth certificates, an affidavit is useless for this point)
To be able to claim these points your sibling must currently reside in Canada!
My Mom's name is spelled differently on his birth certificate because back then in 1987 they don't really pay attention, lenny is spelled leni ...Dad's name is the same on both our birth certs. I thought the affidavit helps. And yes, I have all those, I'm living with my Brother right now.

Also, all the documents are back home. I just remember that notarizing is a whole thing...have it signed by the sub-district head, then district head, then take it to the Department of...People to have them legalized and then take it to the Department of Foreign Affairs to stamp them so they can be used abroad...and then finally!!, go to the embassy in Canada to legalize it further. :D

I will try to do all that. But I'm pretty sure I did all that (didn't do the embassy in Canada thing though because I already got my study permit) with the documents I submitted on paper, to the Canadian Embassy back home when I applied for a study permit in 2012.

And I'm pretty sure they asked the same stuff for my brother's birth certificate when he applied for his PR, not sure if they asked him that again when he applied for his Citizenship. Since he's now a Canadian citizen I can just imagine the extra hoops that it'll take to get his birth certificate legalized/notarized back home.

---venting on---
It's all sounds so redundant and wasteful and annoying. I can imagine people actually flying home to do all this stuff when they're already in Canada legally, they've already been vetted. I understand PR might need extra vetting but it's not very Express if they're asking for things that they likely already have and are getting people into unnecessary hoops/cost and worry. Especially asking for birth certificates (translated and notarized) of people that are already Canadian citizens!
---venting off---

I have a client who is in immigration and he said I don't need all that because I've been in Canada before, with parents including brother, 10y ago, they have everything on file. And PR is just another file they attach to that file.

But yes, I don't want any chance of rejection, I'll go through the paces, get someone to do all that back home and fedex them and/or scan them.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
So, the thing is that these documents don't event have to be notarized, you just need to scan the originals.

The only affidavit you actually need is that of the translator (assuming they are not in English or French).

If there is an spelling difference between the two birth certificates you could add a letter explaining so.

However, as you said, you can't be too careful.

Good luck with it!

Reactions: Hehree

shailu44

Jan 29, 2020
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
21-11-2019
Hi,

I am claiming points for Sibling as my brother is a Canadian Citizen. However, Father's Name(spelling) is different in both my passport and my brother's passport. (My brother doesn't have his birth certificate). Will it be a problem? What are my options?
Please suggest.