+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should we wait?

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
Hey guys! I hope everyone's files are moving along smoothly :D
My partner and I got married yesterday (wooo) and we have a few questions. For reference, I'm Canadian, my husband is American.

We had a very small ceremony, just a civil ceremony at City Hall with 2 witnesses and a friend to take pics. We're having a bigger (still small, but) ceremony in December with friends and family. FBI prints are being processed, and we still need to get his medical done, our question is once the FBI is in, physical is done and the certificate is here, should we apply? We can include info about the December ceremony (the invitations, the registry, the guest list etc), but would it be better to wait until after December so we have pics etc from that ceremony too?

Another question, we got married in NYS, and I checked on the license that I was going to change my last name after the marriage. The person said the certificate would have my last name as my husbands, then, but I wasn't going to change my last name on my Canadian documents until after December. If the certificate has the new last name, do I have to change all my documents before I submit?

Hope that was all clear. Appreciate any advice!

1Wayne1

Sep 26, 2015
Hello- congrats on the marriage ! I would start the process as soon as possible. Its a long , laborious ordeal and the sooner you start , the better. Send photos of the ceremony you've had, and get the medical done NOW ! In the future, you will be asked for evidence that the relationship is still ongoing..then you can provide other photos. As for your name change, again, I'd advise to do it asap, but its not necessary for the application at this point. Good luck !

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
1Wayne1 said:
Hello- congrats on the marriage ! I would start the process as soon as possible. Its a long , laborious ordeal and the sooner you start , the better. Send photos of the ceremony you've had, and get the medical done NOW ! In the future, you will be asked for evidence that the relationship is still ongoing..then you can provide other photos. As for your name change, again, I'd advise to do it asap, but its not necessary for the application at this point. Good luck !
Thanks for the reply :)
We couldn't do the medical until this month (insurance stuff) but it should be done very soon. We've started gathering and such, the question is basically should we wait until after the ceremony in December. For evidence the relationship is ongoing, I've never heard that before. When and what is that? Like after we apply?
Will I need to change my name before I submit, though?

1Wayne1

Sep 26, 2015
It's a long process...you will be asked for evidence of the relationship more than once. You may even be asked for a second medical if the first one expires. I've been going through this process for almost 2 years now...I'm sponsoring my wife to Canada from Botswana. I thought my situation was relatively unique because my wife is on another continent. And I figured that is why it's taking so long. Then I heard a CBC radio interview with Canadians sponsoring spouses from the U.S...they are experiencing EXACTLY what my wife and I are. So, I would advise you to get everything done asap and get the app started...if you want to change name later, you can, and will have the opportunity to let them know. BTW, My wife has not changed her last name...she will once she gets here...we are afraid to get her name changed in the middle of the process, because it may slow things down even more. ALSO --you will be asked for evidence that its a real relationship--photos of you and you spouse at various times/places...questions about when/where you met..questions about your friends/family meeting your spouse.. text msg logs that were sent between you and your spouse ..phone logs of conversations between you and your spouse. etc etc

shortyp2000

Mar 15, 2015
Hamilton
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-12-2014
AOR Received.
18-12-2014
File Transfer...
07-03-2015
Med's Done....
24-03-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 9, 2015
LANDED..........
Nov 12, 2015!!!
I agree with above, get the application in as soon as you can. When you get new pictures and change your name you can advise them later.
Not everyone is asked for more proof several times during the process, its random, or when they have a concern. Its common but doesnt happen to everyone.
Good luck along the way, and get started asap.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ayrazar said:
Thanks for the reply :)
We couldn't do the medical until this month (insurance stuff) but it should be done very soon. We've started gathering and such, the question is basically should we wait until after the ceremony in December. For evidence the relationship is ongoing, I've never heard that before. When and what is that? Like after we apply?
Will I need to change my name before I submit, though?
As a Canadian-American couple, there isn't much chance of being asked for more relationship proof unless you submit next to nothing in your app. There is also very little chance of needing a new medical because it is good for a year and American apps average well below that.

Submit your app now.

You don't need to change your name.

1Wayne1

Sep 26, 2015
According to CIC website , the processing time for spousal sponsorship apps at the New York state office is 39months

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
As a Canadian-American couple, there isn't much chance of being asked for more relationship proof unless you submit next to nothing in your app. There is also very little chance of needing a new medical because it is good for a year and American apps average well below that.

Submit your app now.

You don't need to change your name.
Hey good to "see" you :)

Even if my last name of the certificate is the new name, I'm good to submit under my maiden?
Okay. I'll just submit everything we have to say there is a ceremony happening in December (receipt for officiant, registry notice, invitations etc) and submit as soon as the FBI comes in (should still be a few weeks, only sent it in mid-end September)
Gotta put in option C and stuff and get the timeline/essay finished.

Thanks to everyone who replied! Still welcoming more advice :3 just worried they'll see the marriage yesterday as overly simple.

Most US residents are processed through Ottawa, 1Wayne1, so it's more like 8mo

1Wayne1

Sep 26, 2015
8 months is nothing ! It'll fly by :) --- good luck --- BTW ...I'd ask a immigration consultant/lawyer about the name issue..if the last name on the certificate is different form the last name on your I.D, it may cause problems.

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
1Wayne1 said:
8 months is nothing ! It'll fly by :) --- good luck
Thanks Man! I'm psyched. As you can see we originally were planning on submitting in like March so the idea of submitting before the end of the year is getting me on a high.

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
1Wayne1 said:
...I'd ask a immigration consultant/lawyer about the name issue..if the last name on the certificate is different form the last name on your I.D, it may cause problems.
That'd what I'm worried about. The immigration consultant we had spoke to was an idiot so I don't really wanna waste my time.. I suppose I can find another one. I'd rather not change my name until after December if I have to. I think it's weird that the certificate wouldn't have my maiden name, no?

1Wayne1

Sep 26, 2015
Yeah its tough to get free info from a consultant or a lawyer...I guess you could send the certificate (with new name ) , AND all your current I.D (with maiden name) through to them, with an explanation. The FBI or immigration people,or whoever, should understand whats going on, since your new last name matches your hubbys last name ! Doesn't seem like rocket science to me!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ayrazar said:
That'd what I'm worried about. The immigration consultant we had spoke to was an idiot so I don't really wanna waste my time.. I suppose I can find another one. I'd rather not change my name until after December if I have to. I think it's weird that the certificate wouldn't have my maiden name, no?
Again, no need to change your name.

kiwi01

Star Member
Aug 8, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/11/2015
Med's Done....
30/09/2015
1Wayne1 said:
According to CIC website , the processing time for spousal sponsorship apps at the New York state office is 39months
Americans for the most part are processed through Ottawa. The data on this website seems to indicate around 8-10 months for USA applicants.

EDIT Whoops, just saw that was already pointed out.

Broliee

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-01-2015
AOR Received.
20-01-2015
File Transfer...
26-03-2015
Med's Done....
03-01-2015
There is no need to change your name, as been said. When we submitted our app, on the marriage lisence my name had my husbands last name because I was planning on taking his name but I hadn't changed it yet. So, all my documents had my maiden name on it and it all worked out just fine.