+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should we land together as a family?

kkn1712

May 14, 2016
Hi,

Because of delays in the return of passports, we are finding it difficult to land in Toronto by the deadline given to us (30th March) - owing to kids school, etc.

If I as the primary applicant were to land in Toronto before the deadline, would I be stopped for entering Canada? (since I have not got my family with me).

I understand their PRs may be revoked unless the visa office were to agree to the extension request submitted by us.

As far as I know, I may still be able to apply for their PR once I settle down through the Family Class Sponsorship program. Am i right?

Could someone urgently help me out since we have less than 48 hours to plan our travel?

Thanks,
KKN

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
The PA can land before the family. You don't have to land together.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
kkn1712 said:
what about applying a PR for them through family class?
Well that won't be necessary as they already have PR.

Can they not fly out for a day and fly home? Can you not ask for an extension of the deadline?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
kkn1712 said:
Hi,

Because of delays in the return of passports, we are finding it difficult to land in Toronto by the deadline given to us (30th March) - owing to kids school, etc.

If I as the primary applicant were to land in Toronto before the deadline, would I be stopped for entering Canada? (since I have not got my family with me).

I understand their PRs may be revoked unless the visa office were to agree to the extension request submitted by us.

As far as I know, I may still be able to apply for their PR once I settle down through the Family Class Sponsorship program. Am i right?

Could someone urgently help me out since we have less than 48 hours to plan our travel?

Thanks,
KKN
In your position, I would pull the children from school for a few days and get everyone on an aircraft ASAP. Do not expect an extension unless IRCC have made an error.

kkn1712

May 14, 2016
Also since the time was too short I could only arrange the required landing funds through cash & cash equivalents like forex card. The forex card has a clear receipt with the number of the card and the funds loaded on to it. This was required since regulations in India don't permit cash beyond a certain limit to be carried in person and this is less than the landing funds required.

Also we are there only for 1 week for landing since we come back to wind things up.

Will carrying funds through forex cards be a problem?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
You could just have left them in your own bank account. Why did you move them?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
kkn1712 said:
They are in Indian Rupees which would not be recognised right?
That's fine. They don't expect you to convert it.

Also, as you have now moved it you should take bank statements from where the money came from or they may ask where you suddenly got all the money in a brand new account. It looks suspicious.

knight17

Star Member
Jan 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-02-2019
AOR Received.
23-02-2019
kryt0n said:
That's fine. They don't expect you to convert it.

Also, as you have now moved it you should take bank statements from where the money came from or they may ask where you suddenly got all the money in a brand new account. It looks suspicious.
I am learning something new here; I thought you have to bring all the funds to Canada when you land (in cash or cheque), however, looking at the Proof of funds – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry) - CIC.gc.ca page, they are only recommending bringing as much money as we can, they are not insisting we bring all the money.

So if I am grasping correctly,

• it is okay to keep the money in my local bank account (in local currency)
  • I don't need to bring all the money (cash, cheque) I've shown as proof of funds when I am landing. I only need to show that these funds are unencumbered and available.
  • it is satisfactory if I bring only $5,000 with me in cash on landing if I can show to the border officer bank statements as proof of rest of the funds

Am I understanding this right?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
knight17 said:
I am learning something new here; I thought you have to bring all the funds to Canada when you land (in cash or cheque), however, looking at the Proof of funds – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry) - CIC.gc.ca page, they are only recommending bringing as much money as we can, they are not insisting we bring all the money.

So if I am grasping correctly,

• it is okay to keep the money in my local bank account (in local currency)
  • I don't need to bring all the money (cash, cheque) I've shown as proof of funds when I am landing. I only need to show that these funds are unencumbered and available for me to use.
  • it is satisfactory if I bring only $5000 with me in cash on landing and I can show bank statement as proof of rest of the funds

Am I understanding this right?
Yes to all.