+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should we hire a consultant to help with the paperwork or do it yourself?

Chloe Du

Sep 21, 2017
Hi Guys!
Since my boyfriend is going to sponsor me for the PR status, we haven't started anything yet but we did do research and read through the CIC website many time. I wonder if i should hire the consultant or whoever like lawyer to help me with the process or is it ok to do it by myself?
please share your experiences and ideas, also my boyfriend will get me sponsored as a common-law partner because we are both 20s and did not get married yet, is it will be much harder to prove the relationship ?
many thanks

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
I think doing the paperwork yourself is recommended for most people. When you read through the application package you will find that most things are pretty easy to figure out and most of the questions in the forms are also straightforward. Additional help can offered right here on the forum by other users. It will save you the hassle and additional costs of hiring a lawyer or immigration consultant.

Reactions: avatarkyoshi

Immigrant84

Apr 30, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Sep 19, 2011
Doc's Request.
All documents in order
AOR Received.
Dec 20, 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 23, 2012
Med's Request
Mar 26, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 30, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
May 7, 2012
LANDED..........
June 21, 2012
Yes I agree with the member above. DIY!
When my wife and I first started looking in to the whole process, it looked very overwhelming & intimidating. We called a few lawyers and consultants and after hearing their fees, decided to do it ourselves ;)
Yes its a lot of work, lots of documents to collect & the application really requires attention to detail, its nothing that would require a $3000 assistance.
& most of the lawyers/consultants aren't gonna do the work for you. They will only double check your file to make sure you're not missing any documents before you mail it in.
Really though, this forum has answers to any question you may have.
Good Luck!

Reactions: Chloe Du

Chloe Du

Sep 21, 2017
Thank you very much John. We were stressing out about it recently because we never done anything as serious as this before.Thank again !

Chloe Du

Sep 21, 2017
Yes I agree with the member above. DIY!
When my wife and I first started looking in to the whole process, it looked very overwhelming & intimidating. We called a few lawyers and consultants and after hearing their fees, decided to do it ourselves ;)
Yes its a lot of work, lots of documents to collect & the application really requires attention to detail, its nothing that would require a $3000 assistance.
& most of the lawyers/consultants aren't gonna do the work for you. They will only double check your file to make sure you're not missing any documents before you mail it in.
Really though, this forum has answers to any question you may have.
Good Luck!
Thank you ! <3<3

Susieq

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
I had the same thoughts before I started. We even waited 4 months after getting married because I was terrified of filling the forms out and making a mistake. The application is easier than it use to be and I worried for nothing. A lawyer won’t make things go any faster. Just be patient and double check everything and you will be just fine. We are here to help!

muhammad092

Mar 9, 2017
I want to sponsor my wife - within canada but an outland application. Where does the on the form we have to write that we have to do outland but within canada?

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
I want to sponsor my wife - within canada but an outland application. Where does the on the form we have to write that we have to do outland but within canada?

Why would you want to do that? Processing times for inland and outland applications are the same now, plus if you apply for inland you can also apply for an open work permit, outland does not have that. As long as your wife can maintain legal status in Canada until her sponsorship is being processed and you applied for an OWP at the same time you are good to go.

muhammad092

Mar 9, 2017
Why would you want to do that? Processing times for inland and outland applications are the same now, plus if you apply for inland you can also apply for an open work permit, outland does not have that. As long as your wife can maintain legal status in Canada until her sponsorship is being processed and you applied for an OWP at the same time you are good to go.
Thankyou, the thing is that she wants to travel during her application. Thats why I wanted to process outland application.

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
Thank you, the thing is that she wants to travel during her application. Thats why I wanted to process outland application.
I she applied outland but stayed in Canada the whole time under a visitor visa she would have to provide proof of her ties to her home country every time she crosses the border back into Canada, whatever visitor visa she had before leaving would be void and would not give her any guarantees of coming back into the country. If she applied inland and gets her open work permit it will be easier for her to come and go.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I she applied outland but stayed in Canada the whole time under a visitor visa she would have to provide proof of her ties to her home country every time she crosses the border back into Canada, whatever visitor visa she had before leaving would be void and would not give her any guarantees of coming back into the country. If she applied inland and gets her open work permit it will be easier for her to come and go.
Nope. Re-entering the country will be the same whether someone applies inland or outland. Same risks of being refused. Having an OWP does not mean you're allowed to re-enter.

Outland is the right choice if someone wants to be able to travel. That way if they are ever refused entry - the application will still be processed.

muhammad092

Mar 9, 2017
Nope. Re-entering the country will be the same whether someone applies inland or outland. Same risks of being refused. Having an OWP does not mean you're allowed to re-enter.

Outland is the right choice if someone wants to be able to travel. That way if they are ever refused entry - the application will still be processed.
I have a question- Do we have to submit the orignal or the photocopies? Because its says ''Make sure all photocopies are clear and easy to read. Other than copies of original documents used for translations, photocopies do not need to be certified. Don’t send originals unless we ask for them, because they will not be returned.''

trackgal1

Star Member
Jul 20, 2017
I have a question- Do we have to submit the orignal or the photocopies? Because its says ''Make sure all photocopies are clear and easy to read. Other than copies of original documents used for translations, photocopies do not need to be certified. Don’t send originals unless we ask for them, because they will not be returned.''
You only send originals if they ask for them.

OP -- If your case is straightforward (no arrests/criminal background) then I suggest doing it yourself. From what people post on here, a lot of the lawyers aren't helpful. If you have things that you think would cause red flags, that's the only time I'd suggest hiring a lawyer to help out. The forms are pretty straightforward, just time consuming. Like someone else mentioned, most lawyers only check your paperwork once you fill it out [from what I hear].