+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should we apply for a visitor visa or Open Spousal Work Permit.

jijuanair

Star Member
Dec 20, 2011
Dear All,

I work in Canada with a full time employment on a post grad work permit.
I applied for my wifes visitor visa and was denied saying "she may not return back".

For the next time Should we apply for a visitor visa or Open Spousal Work Permit?

Which will be better ?

dilanko

Jan 22, 2010
Hi,

I am in the same situation as you. I am getting married in couple of months in India and wanted to get my spouse. Did you get the OWP. Can you suggest me which is better visiting Visa or OWP.

Pls share your experience. Thanks for your time.

calgaryimmigration

Star Member
Dec 1, 2011
jijuanair said:
Dear All,

I work in Canada with a full time employment on a post grad work permit.
I applied for my wifes visitor visa and was denied saying "she may not return back".

For the next time Should we apply for a visitor visa or Open Spousal Work Permit?

Which will be better ?
Your wife can apply for Open Work Permit if she’s planning to work in Canada. She can not work on a visitor visa. She needs a work permit to work in Canada as a temporary resident.

Which will be better between visitor visa and open spousal work permit? It depends on her case and plans. You didn’t mention how long she wants to stay in Canada. Does she only want to get a visit?

The validity of a visitor visa depends on the type of application. For example, if it’s a single entry, it may only be valid for six months. On the other hand, multiple entries may be valid for even 10 years. In the case of Open Work Permit, the validity will be the same as the husband's work permit.

dilanko

Jan 22, 2010
Thanks for Quick reply...

I have a question.. what kind of documents do I require for my spouse open work permit.

Bank Statement

Pay slips

Employment letter (What kind of details should be in here )

Invitation letter

and pls tell me if i am missing ant thing else. I appreciate your help... thanks..

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
jijuanair said:
Hello,

Yes My wife got it.
If you are employed in Canada ,Then OWP will be a better option.
jijuanair,

Please could you share how much money did either of you show in your account when you filed the spousal open work permit application?
Thankyou!

jijuanair

Star Member
Dec 20, 2011
we showed 16,000 dollars in bank accounts,Our property documents,Wife's pay stubs,My Employment letter,My Work Permit,My Lease agreement.
These are the major documents that we submitted.Hope this helps.please feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

DK84

Aug 29, 2012
Regina
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2013 CIO
Doc's Request.
09-05-2013
Nomination.....
06-12-2012
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
12-02-2013
Med's Request
16-02-2013
Med's Done....
24-02-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
27-08-2013/ Decesion Made: August 31, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-09-2013
LANDED..........
15-09-2013
Hi Jijuanair...thanks for your information. I am currently working in Canada on closed work permit and my PR application is under process, medicals are not done yet as its been just one month i filed. I am getting married in this April 2013 and my fiance is in India. Can you please tell me which forms/ documents do I need to fill and submit for my spouce's visa ? secondly, what is the procedure to apply work permit for her ? Can she get it ? OR should i call her on visitor visa ? Any idea about processing time for visa.

jijuanair

Star Member
Dec 20, 2011
Sorry for the late reply.I believe these are the forms that we submitted

Form IMM 1295 – Application for a Work Permit;
• Form IMM 5645 – Additional Family Information;
• Schedule 1 – Application for Temporary Resident Permit;

ThreeSquareImm

Star Member
Oct 26, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As both are temporary resident visas, applicants for visitor's visas and open work permits must demonstrate that they have significant ties to their home country in order to necessitate leaving Canada at the end of their stay.

If you were unable to acquire a visitor's visa, applying for an open work permit without a change in documentation or situation, will likely net you the same result - refusal.