+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should passport application answers be exactly the same with landing paper?

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
There are a few tiny mistakes in my landing paper like my birthplace as It shows my town instead of the city but in passport application it asks for the city of the birthplace. Can the answer for passport application be different than my landing paper? Also there are some questions that don’t apply to me. Can I leave them blank or should I type N/A? Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
There are a few tiny mistakes in my landing paper like my birthplace as It shows my town instead of the city but in passport application it asks for the city of the birthplace. Can the answer for passport application be different than my landing paper? Also there are some questions that don’t apply to me. Can I leave them blank or should I type N/A? Thanks!
-I wouldn't complicate by getting into semantics of city vs town - use whatever is listed on your birth certificate (and hopefully foreign passport). Canadian passport app says "city" but I believe this just means municipality - in other words, usage is not that town is part of a city (as it seems to be where you are originally from) but separate and distinct entities.* So if you were born in a town and that was listed as your place of birth, use that. If you feel you must put different data, include a short letter of explanation that previous was mistaken.

-I think it's safer to put N/A so that it's clear you didn't forget to complete that field but purposefully left it blank because not applicable.

*I say this but truth is usage is terribly inconsistent in Canada as well, subject to change by provincial government fiat, and people will use historical names decades and decades after towns and villages no longer exist - and of course some will have places of birth recorded that years later (legally) no longer exist under the name shown.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
There was also a thread on the semantics of "city" in the passport application a few months back.... I have always used the historical community name of my Canadian address (a postal designation) instead of the actual city name in every "city" field for IRCC, and I have had zero problems. I also used a municipality name for my birth place.

Reactions: armoured