+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should my Education degree match what's in the NOC code I am applying for?

romar

Star Member
Nov 18, 2013
Cairo, Egypt
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo, Egypt
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-Aug-2014 [br] [b](One month after cap was reached)[/b]
IELTS Request
Dear forum members,

A friend of mine is applying with me to FSW1. He has a bachelor degree in Accounting, but since he graduated he worked as a software developer. Today, he has more than 10 years of experience as a software developer (NOC 2174), he's got a letter of experience from his employer that matches the job duties under NOC 2174, and he plans to apply under NOC 2174.

My question is; do you think his college degree as an accountant may pose any problem or cause his application to be rejected as NOC non-qualified?

Appreciate your help, as usual :)

nishesh3003

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oakville Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Doc's Request.
Submitted with application
AOR Received.
16-01-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
13-01-2015
Med's Request
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2015
LANDED..........
31-07-2015
romar said:
Dear forum members,

A friend of mine is applying with me to FSW1. He has a bachelor degree in Accounting, but since he graduated he worked as a software developer. Today, he has more than 10 years of experience as a software developer (NOC 2174), he's got a letter of experience from his employer that matches the job duties under NOC 2174, and he plans to apply under NOC 2174.

My question is; do you think his college degree as an accountant may pose any problem or cause his application to be rejected as NOC non-qualified?

I am in similar profile (not same). As far as I know - If your NOC is not regulated you should be fine. For example- Auditors and Accountants require licensing in Canda to be able work as one and therefore relevant education is of importance.

However - if 2174 is not regulated then this won't be necessary. If you see the HRSDC page for NOC 2174 there is one part that says:

Specialization in programming for engineering and scientific applications requires specific post-secondary study or experience.

and then there is another part that prefers that the qualification be of relevant nature:

A bachelor's degree in computer science or in another discipline with a significant programming component
or
Completion of a college program in computer science is usually required.

So if you have enough experience in NOCs that are not regulated you should be okay. I think your friend is good for NOC 2174.

romar

Star Member
Nov 18, 2013
Cairo, Egypt
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo, Egypt
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Thanks nishesh3003 for your reply.
Yes, it's those two statements on the NOC website that make me uncertain. I've read several times that the duties section of the NOC occupation is what matters most and that titles are of less importance. So, I was wondering if the Employment Requirements section is of the same level of importance as that of the Titles section.

nishesh3003

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oakville Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16-01-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
13-01-2015
Med's Request
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2015
LANDED..........
31-07-2015
romar said:
Thanks nishesh3003 for your reply.
Yes, it's those two statements on the NOC website that make me uncertain. I've read several times that the duties section of the NOC occupation is what matters most and that titles are of less importance. So, I was wondering if the Employment Requirements section is of the same level of importance as that of the Titles section.
When you say 'Employment Requirement' - are you referring to the actual Employers who will hire you in Canada ?

If so - this is totally the Employers discretion. If I need a Java developer and I get a Java developer with 7 years experience and the knowledge to back it up - I would not normally be concerned with the Educational background so long as the candidate actually has had an education :). But that's me :)

Although the same does not hold true for a lawyer or an auditor or a nurse.

romar

Star Member
Nov 18, 2013
Cairo, Egypt
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo, Egypt
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
nishesh3003 said:
When you say 'Employment Requirement' - are you referring to the actual Employers who will hire you in Canada ?
No, actually I was referring to the name of the section under which the two statements you mentioned are stated.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=2174

nishesh3003

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oakville Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16-01-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
13-01-2015
Med's Request
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2015
LANDED..........
31-07-2015
romar said:
No, actually I was referring to the name of the section under which the two statements you mentioned are stated.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=2174
Both the 'titles' and the 'employment requirements' share an equal weight (if at all).

We know that titles/designations does not matter to the CIC. Its the Duties.

Education in this case could be weighed out since the experience is quiet comprehensive. :)

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
romar said:
Dear forum members,

From my point of view it CIC might raise a query regarding Education and Job he is working as. I mean a person graduated with Degree in Accounting, and got a job as a Software Developer. Sound weird. How could a person get a job as Software Developer when he studied accounting ? Highly unlikely, but possible. But as he has got 10 years of experience as Software Developer I don't think it will lead to direct rejection but it might raise a query. CIC might call employer to verify that experience shown is legitimate or/and ask for other supporting documents to prove your claim.

romar

Star Member
Nov 18, 2013
Cairo, Egypt
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo, Egypt
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
nishesh3003 said:
Both the 'titles' and the 'employment requirements' share an equal weight (if at all).

We know that titles/designations does not matter to the CIC. Its the Duties.

Education in this case could be weighed out since the experience is quiet comprehensive. :)
I agree. I'll encourage him to apply. And let's just hope for the best :) Thanks nishesh3003 for your help :)

Goku said:
From my point of view it CIC might raise a query regarding Education and Job he is working as. I mean a person graduated with Degree in Accounting, and got a job as a Software Developer. Sound weird. How could a person get a job as Software Developer when he studied accounting ? Highly unlikely, but possible. But as he has got 10 years of experience as Software Developer I don't think it will lead to direct rejection but it might raise a query. CIC might call employer to verify that experience shown is legitimate or/and ask for other supporting documents to prove your claim.
Yeah. I know it sounds weird. But many of the people in my country makes this career shift. Demand on software developers here is not fulfilled by the low number of computer science college graduates. People coming from other backgrounds opt for computer science diplomas and trainings to pursue a career in software development.

And I can see your point, Goku. CIC may have a point to be suspicious, but this should be cleared once they verify the case with the employer. The good news is that the employer is one of the largest software houses in the country, which probably means that CIC has had previous applicants working for the same employer, which hopefully makes it more credible. Let's hope it does not lead to a direct rejection :) Thanks Goku for your help :)

nishesh3003

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oakville Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16-01-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
13-01-2015
Med's Request
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2015
LANDED..........
31-07-2015
romar said:
I agree. I'll encourage him to apply. And let's just hope for the best :) Thanks nishesh3003 for your help :)

Yeah. I know it sounds weird. But many of the people in my country makes this career shift. Demand on software developers here is not fulfilled by the low number of computer science college graduates. People coming from other backgrounds opt for computer science diplomas and trainings to pursue a career in software development.

And I can see your point, Goku. CIC may have a point to be suspicious, but this should be cleared once they verify the case with the employer. The good news is that the employer is one of the largest software houses in the country, which probably means that CIC has had previous applicants working for the same employer, which hopefully makes it more credible. Let's hope it does not lead to a direct rejection :) Thanks Goku for your help :)
I would like to disagree with the term weird. This is very common with IT and not just in India. Please do not confuse IT Professionals with Computer Engineers. Modern IT Industry is more skill based than any other industry.

romar

Star Member
Nov 18, 2013
Cairo, Egypt
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo, Egypt
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
nishesh3003 said:
I would like to disagree with the term weird. This is very common with IT and not just in India. Please do not confuse IT Professionals with Computer Engineers. Modern IT Industry is more skill based than any other industry.
It's common in Egypt too. And yes, you are right. Software development is mostly skill-based.

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
nishesh3003 said:
I know about India that if you good reference then you can surely get an entry level position in IT field and then you can climb up in same company. But let me clarify why it sound weird to me. I am been in Canada from past 4 years and I have never seen a person graduated from XX field and Working in totally different field. Doesn't matter if you have a reference of Vice-president, If you don't have proper qualification you wont get a job. So I think CIC people may have same though as me as they are Canadian origin. Things like this doesn't work in Canada. That's the reason I told its suspicious.

nishesh3003

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oakville Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16-01-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
13-01-2015
Med's Request
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2015
LANDED..........
31-07-2015
Goku said:
I know about India that if you good reference then you can surely get an entry level position in IT field and then you can climb up in same company. But let me clarify why it sound weird to me. I am been in Canada from past 4 years and I have never seen a person graduated from XX field and Working in totally different field. Doesn't matter if you have a reference of Vice-president, If you don't have proper qualification you wont get a job. So I think CIC people may have same though as me as they are Canadian origin. Things like this doesn't work in Canada. That's the reason I told its suspicious.
Goku - Let me start of by saying that since you are living in Canada for the last 4 years I will accept that you know more about the market in Canada than I do (and probably we can continue our discussion some day in the future at the Hard Rock Cafe in Eaton Center :) .. assuming you are in Toronto)

But since I also realize that you are probably not from the same Industry, I would add a little more to what I said earlier. And this is not a rule of thumb (as neither of our views are).

From what I know - if your job is not regulated you do not require licensing to work in that NOC in Canada. I am only focusing on the IT ones.
Example - NOC 2281 (mine).

Since licensing is negated, there is a good chance your qualifications are not of 'utmost' importance in landing a job in IT. I am NOT saying a guy who has only formatted emails in outlook in the past can turn out to be a Web Developer. But given time and learning - those skills can be acquired. You know how many people take the certification route to land a job?

Universities do not teach you a lot of skills that are actually required in the market, say, how to rack Servers, or deploy Policy based software Installations.

How many MBAs (especially finance) in Canada or USA or UK are from a Business background? MBA is what - 1.8 to 2 years tops ?

Next – try to go to job websites, say indeed.ca and search yourself for a job say ‘Java Developer’. There will be a good amount of job postings requiring that you fulfill certain educational criteria. While there are a lot many other that emphasize on skills and experience. Say – TD Bank (yes, a Bank). Off-course a Computer Science Major with 'similar' skills and/or experience will always be preferred before you.

However it goes without saying that you need a lot of dedication in whatever you do, wherever you do it. If you can do that, you won’t be denied of what you deserve.

:)

omnishu

Star Member
Feb 21, 2016
romar said:
Dear forum members,

Hi Romar,
Did you got the PR ?
Thought to ask you since I have similar query.