+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I try to prove SPOUSE's work experience or NOT? (avoid misrepresentation)

sarasamaniac

Jan 22, 2015
Dear forum,

My spouse worked as a full-time employee only for 1.5 years, and after that he began working as a freelancer. We know his freelance experience will be very hard to prove since he worked for a lot of different clients, and gathering all that information seems rather impossible at the moment.

Can we only say that he worked for that 1.5y period WITHOUT MENTIONING the freelance experience? This one we can prove easily with a reference letter and compensation summary / taxes forms, etc.

I don't know if we should include the freelance experience in our application since we don't even know if we'll be able to prove it anyway (if we receive an ITA).

What do you think?
Thanks,

phatdolfin82

Star Member
Mar 31, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you're not getting points for your spouse's experience, don't add it to your EE profile. After ITA, you will be asked what you both did for the past 10 years and you can enter everything there.
Freelance work is essentially self-employment. You can attach a letter of explanation for his time being self-employed and any evidence such as invoices he sent out or bank statement, cheques, etc.

vinodram

Feb 5, 2015
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottwa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Individuals who must submit this documentation

The principal applicant
Their spouse or common-law partner (if work experience in Canada is claimed)

mbprajapati

Star Member
Apr 29, 2012
while creating EE profile, it is asking for spouse work history. If I specify spuse work experience, do I need to provide ref letter for her as well? Does spouse foreign work exp gives points?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mbprajapati said:
while creating EE profile, it is asking for spouse work history. If I specify spuse work experience, do I need to provide ref letter for her as well? Does spouse foreign work exp gives points?
No, your spouse's foreign work experience does not give any points.

And if you include it you'll have to provide reference letters when you receive your ITA.