+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I take IELTS (general training now) before going to Canada for studies?

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
My previous IELTS expired in June. Now I'm going to to Canada for a one year postgrad program this Fall and plan on applying for my PGWP afterwards.

My long term goal is to become a PR so with that in mind, is it best to do my IELTS outside of Canada like this month or in August so it's good until 2021? I imagine (and hope) I'll get my PGWP and land a job in August or September 2020 and apply for Express Entry/PNP right away.

General training IELTS (computerized) would be cheaper in my current country as well.

Any insight would be appreciated!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Your IELTS has to be valid at the time of creating a profile and at the time of submitting it. A valid test is one that's taken in the past two years.

If you take your IELTS in Aug '19, you'd have to have been invited and have had submitted a complete Express Entry application by Aug '21. If you think that's doable, then sure, you can take it now.

Reactions: lukeortolani

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
Your IELTS has to be valid at the time of creating a profile and at the time of submitting it. A valid test is one that's taken in the past two years.

If you take your IELTS in Aug '19, you'd have to have been invited and have had submitted a complete Express Entry application by Aug '21. If you think that's doable, then sure, you can take it now.
Thanks for the input!