+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I retake the TOEFL for a student permit?

ElenaEagleEye

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
Hi guys,

I've been accepted to a phd program with a 78 overall score in TOEFL.
Even though the requested score was 80 I stil got accepted cuz I had an interview with the deperatment and they were quite impressed with my English.
Now regarding the student permit, will I need to take retake the test in order to get a better mark?
I am afraid that they will reject me only on the basis that I am missing these two lausy points?
Any advise?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi guys,

I've been accepted to a phd program with a 78 overall score in TOEFL.
Even though the requested score was 80 I stil got accepted cuz I had an interview with the deperatment and they were quite impressed with my English.
Now regarding the student permit, will I need to take retake the test in order to get a better mark?
I am afraid that they will reject me only on the basis that I am missing these two lausy points?
Any advise?
The only fixed English proficiency marks is for the SDS stream, which is for students in India, China, Vietnam and the Philippines. If you can convince the Visa Officer that you are able to study in English, in canada with no issues then you will get a visa. A higher score will give a better chance but it all depends on how you present your application.

ElenaEagleEye

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
The only fixed English proficiency marks is for the SDS stream, which is for students in India, China, Vietnam and the Philippines. If you can convince the Visa Officer that you are able to study in English, in canada with no issues then you will get a visa. A higher score will give a better chance but it all depends on how you present your application.
I am aware with SDS, but I am not applying from those countries. Now, I can see that proof of language skill is not included on the list of required documents for a student visa, so I was wondering what should I do. If I submit updated TOEFL (for better score) won't that make a problem since I've been accepted with other, lower score and what is more important the school didn't object this score.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I am aware with SDS, but I am not applying from those countries. Now, I can see that proof of language skill is not included on the list of required documents for a student visa, so I was wondering what should I do. If I submit updated TOEFL (for better score) won't that make a problem since I've been accepted with other, lower score and what is more important the school didn't object this score.
No, the decision of CIC and your University is different. They will make their decision regardless of why your University accepted you. Follow the document checklist as given for your country. If there is no need to give proof of language skill you can choose not to give that proof.