+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I import my car?

munu

Feb 7, 2010
I've been trying to figure this out but the more I read the less I'm convinced of either answer...

I currently live in New York State (I'm not a US citizen nor PR) and I'll be moving to Toronto for two years with a Temporary Work Permit, and thus according to the RIV rules I do not have to import my car. Now here is what I don't understand: if I do not import it through the RIV process, does that mean that I would not have to get Ontario plates and instead keep the NYS plates? Or should I still get Ontario plates? Of course the same applies to insurance...

I have called RIV and the Ontario licensing office asking about this and I have basically got no answer (RIV told me to call the Ontario office, and the person at that office probably did not really understand what I was talking about). On the other hand, I'm not sure how I would be able to keep the NYS plates and insurance without a NYS address...

munu

Feb 7, 2010
Anyone? I still haven't got any definitive information, so any help is appreciated...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hee hee, I've wondered that too. I got lucky since my vehicle was 15 years old and therefore exempt.

Did RIV tell you what happens when you do a temporary import - what kind of document do you receive? (Ask them if you get a Customs Clearance Form or vehicle import form for temporary imports).

Regardless, I'm afraid under Ontario law you still have to license and insure the vehicle in Ontario. Here's what you need - even though I was "exempt" I still had to do all this (including the RIV inspection).
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/rgoutcan.shtml

munu

Feb 7, 2010
Thanks for the reply. So, according to your experience, I would be able to ignore all the importation process and just get Ontario plates and insurance as if I was coming from another Canadian province? What would happen with my New York title?

On the other hand, my situation is abit more complicated, because after my two years in Canada I will not go back to the US. In particular, I will want to sell my car, but if I don't import it I think I would not ve able to sell it in Canada, so I would have to bring it back to the US (import it back maybe?) and then sell it.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
munu said:
Thanks for the reply. So, according to your experience, I would be able to ignore all the importation process

No, I didn't say that. I am agreeing that the information seems contradictory. I don't know if your car is 15+ years old or not. The immigration officer had to confirm the year of manufacture on my car.

and just get Ontario plates and insurance as if I was coming from another Canadian province?

You have to have the customs paperwork to get the inspection, you have to have the inspection to get the registration... Which is why I suggested you call RIV and ask what documentation you receive from immigration if you temporarily import the vehicle.

What would happen with my New York title?

To get it registered in Ontario, you have to get an Ontario title. That means surrendering your New York title.

On the other hand, my situation is abit more complicated, because after my two years in Canada I will not go back to the US. In particular, I will want to sell my car, but if I don't import it I think I would not ve able to sell it in Canada, so I would have to bring it back to the US (import it back maybe?) and then sell it.
Believe it or not, it sounds easier to simply import it. After you import it, you can sell it after one year... and yes, there are US export requirements too. the RIV website has a link to that. Basically, you have to notify US customs at your border crossing of your intent to export (there's a form), I think it's 72 hours before you cross...

munu

Feb 7, 2010
Ok, thanks again. What you say sounds reasonable. I will call RIV to ask, I actually called them a few weeks ago and didn't get much information, but maybe I'll be more lucky if I try again.

I just have one more question: what happens between the time when I enter Canada and I'm finish going through all the process and get Ontario plates and insurance? Do you know if I can keep my New York plate (and insurance) on the meantime? Or is it the case that I cannot drive the car in Canada until I finish the process (which seemingly can take more than a month)?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000159

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/visiting.shtml

New Residents

"If you are a new resident in Ontario and have a valid driver's licence from another province, state or country, you can use it for up to 60 days after you move to Ontario. If you want to keep driving in Ontario, you must get an Ontario driver's licence. You must use your Ontario licence when you are issued one. New Ontario residents have 30 days before they have to register their vehicles and get Ontario licence plates and vehicle permit. Click here for more information on Getting an Ontario Driver's Licence or Licensing a Vehicle in Ontario. "

What this doesn't say is that you can't register the car until you can show proof of insurance in Ontario. And that takes some work (and $$$).

You will need a driver's abstract from NY ...
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/driverabstract/default.html

and a letter of claims history from your current insurance company -

vins1

May 26, 2009
Were you able to import the car successfully? What steps did you have to take? I am in a similar situation as yours, so please let me know how to proceed.

munu

Feb 7, 2010
It was not too difficult in the end. These are the steps, at least as I recall them now, and glossing over some detail:

1. Fax the corresponding documentation to the border 72 hours in advance.
2. Cross the border, being careful to be there at a time when the import office at the border is open.
3. At the border, you get the RIV forms and further instructions.
3. Drive to Canada, with your US plates, and keeping your US insurance.
4. Do the RIV inspection (at Canadian Tire) and the provincial safety inspection (at least in Ontario). The second one can be done in many places, in particular Canadian Tire (which I found I dislike).
5. Once you have succesfully gottten your inspection done, submitted everything to RIV and payed the RIV fees, get insurance in Canada. It seems (at least in Ontario), though I'm not sure, that to get insurance you should get a Canadian driver's license. I think you can get it up to 30 or 60 days after. It's pretty easy if you have a US driver's license, at least in Ontario they just exchanged mine (after paying the corresponding fee, of course).
6. Once you have proof of insurance, register the car in the provincial license office, and get your Canadian plates.
7. Take your US plates and send them back to your state's DMV office (you need to check where exactly to send them). This is how it worked at least in New York State. Once you get notice of receipt, call you US insurance company to get off their insurance. This can be backdated to the day when you started your Canadian insurance, and you should get a refund.

Of course, YMMV, this is what my experience was at least. Let me know if you have specific questions...

Mikey76

Star Member
Nov 10, 2010
Hi Munu,

Thanks for the info. I am in the same boat, but my situation is bit different.

I am currently in New Jersey (Not a US Citizen) and planning to move to Toronto soon. I have a job offer and my company is currently working on getting the paperwork/work permit.

I am under the impression that I have to fly to Toronto and go through the POE to get the work permit stamped.

Is it possible that I can drive my car (2004 model Hyundai) from US to Toronto and get the work permit at the border itself after carrying/submitting the necessary paperwork ?

Thanks in Advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Mikey76 said:
Hi Munu,

Thanks for the info. I am in the same boat, but my situation is bit different.

I am currently in New Jersey (Not a US Citizen) and planning to move to Toronto soon. I have a job offer and my company is currently working on getting the paperwork/work permit.

I am under the impression that I have to fly to Toronto and go through the POE to get the work permit stamped.

Is it possible that I can drive my car (2004 model Hyundai) from US to Toronto and get the work permit at the border itself after carrying/submitting the necessary paperwork ?

Thanks in Advance.
1. Yes you can the work permit at the border.
2. You don't have to import the car, as you will have temporary status. CBSA will admit the car for length of the work permit.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
PMM said:
Hi

1. Yes you can the work permit at the border.
2. You don't have to import the car, as you will have temporary status. CBSA will admit the car for length of the work permit.
The problem is Ontario. They only seem to understand "imported." Check with the Ministry of Transport about licensing the car if it isn't imported.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/rgoutcan.shtml

If you reside in Canada, your US auto insurance will no longer carry you. If you reside in Ontario, you are legally required to register the car in Ontario. BTW, they wouldn't let me register the car until I had my Ontario driver's license, and I couldn't do either until I had Ontario insurance. For the insurance, you will need a driver's abstract from your State, and a letter from your current insurance company...

Good luck and let us know what you find out. This has been discussed several times, and the conclusion reached before is that you must import for Ontario. Hopefully, you can find something that others have missed...

vins1

May 26, 2009
Thanks to everyone for their replies.

My understanding is that if your work permit is for a period of less than 3 years, then you do not have to import it into Canada. You still have to export it from the US. All you have to do is get Canadian insurance, license and registration. This also means you do not have to do the inspection for the car.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Yes but... there is no "Canadian" insurance, license, or registration, only Provincial, and they all have their own rules and regulations. The inspection is mandatory for Ontario...

white crane

Jan 12, 2011
As a destination services consultant I work with many US citizens moving to Ontario on a temporary basis.

@jes_ON In November a client of mine was able to register her car using her US driver's licence and US insurance (which covers her for Canada). I think it very much depends on which Service Ontario office you go to and the clerk you deal with. We were at the one on the East Mall in Toronto.

@munu I just had a phone conversation with the Service Ontario Driver and Vehicle Licensing help line today 416 235 2999. They say you need to register your car (whether it's a temporary or permanent import) if it's in Ontario for more than 6 months. However if it's a temporary import and you drive over the border to the US and back again every 6 months, then the clock resets each time. So in theory, if you travel back and forth regularly, you could continue to drive on US plates. The catch may be insurance though, as your US policy may not cover you if you are resident in Canada.

If you do register your car, you have to do everything the same as for a permanent import, except pay duty and the RIV payment/inspection. So you will need to get a Safety Standards Certificate and Drive Clean Emissions Test, even if you car is less than a year old.