+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I hold my citizenship application until I move my new address?

shokijames

Nov 24, 2021
Hello team,

I will become eligible to apply for citizenship in mid December 2023. However, I will be moving to a new place in January 2024. I would really appreciate to have the comments from the members on the following doubt I have:
Should hold on application unless I receive an document with my updated address (which may take 4-6 weeks after I move in and apply for address change) in 2024 or should I apply in December and then update my address via web portal? When there be any delay if I apply first and then change my address?

Thanks in advance!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello team,

I will become eligible to apply for citizenship in mid December 2023. However, I will be moving to a new place in January 2024. I would really appreciate to have the comments from the members on the following doubt I have:
Should hold on application unless I receive an document with my updated address (which may take 4-6 weeks after I move in and apply for address change) in 2024 or should I apply in December and then update my address via web portal? When there be any delay if I apply first and then change my address?

Thanks in advance!
You cannot predict which part of the application will take longer. Better apply and change your address when you have the proof of it.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Once eligible, the decision about when to apply is a personal decision. When to apply is a much bigger question than when the PR is eligible to apply. There are various reasons why a PR might choose to wait some additional period of time, after meeting the eligibility requirements, before applying.

Would make good sense to wait, add that much time to how much of a buffer you apply with over the minimum physical presence. Would avoid having to watch for AOR and then submit the change of address via webform later (my perspective tends to run counter to a fairly substantial number of forum participants -- to my view, less action taken on an application, the fewer times a total stranger bureaucrat is handling it, the less chance there is of bureaucratic error; many others here, however, are not the least hesitant about compelling IRCC officials to handle the file on multiple occasions, some claiming to initiate scores of actions on their application through webform and telephone inquiries).

So, it's your choice.

Some Longer Observations:

Since most communication will be by email, there is less concern these days about changes in residential address. However, if the move will involve changing which local office will likely handle processing the application (after preliminary screening in CPC-Sydney), at least if will involve changing which province you live in, that might weigh in favour of waiting. This is less significant now given the prevalence of online events, rather than in-person, making it is possible for many (perhaps most) to go through the whole process, including taking the oath and obtaining citizenship certificate, without ever having to physically visit the local processing office.

One of the main questions about when to apply is how much of a buffer to have when applying; that is, how many days credit over the minimum physical presence requirement. Consistent with IRCC information, which includes the suggestion to wait long enough to have a buffer, most seasoned forum participants favour some buffer (those who don't are essentially recommending foolishness). There is less agreement about how much of a buffer. Many suggest a week or ten days. The problem with that approach, as if it is the prudent approach for all applicants, is that it overlooks how widely individual circumstances vary.

To my view waiting awhile longer, a month or two even, is easy. And a solid buffer should lift some weight off the processing agent and citizenship officer assessing the applicant's physical presence, minimizing the risk of error. Waiting two months more to apply will delay taking the oath just two months at the very most. In contrast, if the total stranger bureaucrats responsible for verifying the applicant met the physical presence requirement have questions or concerns, that would likely disrupt the flow of the application, result in the application sitting in at least one additional queue waiting for action to be taken, likely adding several months and perhaps more to how long it will take to be scheduled for the oath (remember, the overwhelming time element is how long the application is in queue, so even adding just one additional queue in the process, even if it is for a task that itself takes less than an hour to do, can add several months).

Which is to say, waiting to be settled at the new address sounds like a rather fine excuse to wait and apply with a bigger buffer. But it is your decision, your choice.