+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I hire an Immigration Consultant?

jaoquinmiller

Sep 21, 2019
United States
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Hi,

From all the information I've gathered so far, I should have a relatively straightforward EE application but am trying to determine if it would still be beneficial to hire a consultant because I'm slightly concerned with my CRS (estimated at 441) given recent draws. I have not yet created an EE profile as I'm waiting in results of my ECA and language test.

I have no criminal record, no health issues, and am 28 years old.
NOC Code 0711 / Type 0
Bachelors degree in construction engineering with 6 years of relevant work experience.
I do not have any family in canada or french language skills.
I'm reaching out to companies to get a job offer with a LMIA as my field will qualify for PNP in most provinces but so far do not have any offers in hand.

I've spoken with a few immigration consultants who make a big point of saying they will make it happen correctly and more quickly, although between the amazing people and information on this forum, I'm not sure if it's really necessary. I've also heard some consultants won't put in much effort once they have received your retainer money and can actually drag the process out unnecessarily.

Any thoughts, information, experience relative to consultants, or my application plan as a whole would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

From all the information I've gathered so far, I should have a relatively straightforward EE application but am trying to determine if it would still be beneficial to hire a consultant because I'm slightly concerned with my CRS (estimated at 441) given recent draws. I have not yet created an EE profile as I'm waiting in results of my ECA and language test.

NOC Code 0711 / Type 0
Bachelors degree in construction engineering with 6 years of relevant work experience.
I'm reaching out to companies to get a job offer with a LMIA as my field will qualify for PNP in most provinces but so far do not have any offers in hand.

I've spoken with a few immigration consultants who make a big point of saying they will make it happen correctly and more quickly, although between the amazing people and information on this forum, I'm not sure if it's really necessary. I've also heard some consultants won't put in much effort once they have received your retainer money and can actually drag the process out unnecessarily.

Any thoughts, information, experience relative to consultants, or my application plan as a whole would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
It's really your choice if you work with a lawyer or not. Most people here have done it themselves.

A lawyer cannot increase your CRS points or get you a job offer. All they can do is ensure your application is complete.

If you haven't already maxed out your language score, recommend you retake IELTS. Job offers generally aren't possible to obtain.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you a civil engineer? There is a surplus of civil engineers and it can be quite hard to find a job especially in major centres. I am surprised it would be on the list of needed skills.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi,

NOC Code 0711 / Type 0

Thank you!
Consultants are useful when:

1. You have a complicated application
2. You don't have the time/language skills to properly understand the process and do it yourself. A mistake in filling a form can be very damaging, so you need to know what you're doing. It's not easy for people who don't have strong English/French skills.

If 1 & 2 don't apply, a consultant may not be necessary.

As with all professions, there are good consultants and bad consultants. A good consultant will ensure that the forms are filled correctly and on time, will help you understand the process and answer any questions, and keep you appraised of the status of your application. A bad consultant will do none of this.

Most Express Entry applications aren't very complicated, so assuming English isn't an issue, you can certainly do it yourself.

Lawyers/Consultants are most useful in cases of Family Sponsorship (which require collecting proof of relationship), LMIA/work permits (where the employer has to post job ads in a certain format), Refugee claims (obvious reasons), and so on.

Reactions: nat.abramovich