+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I have cleared the loan on my car during my soft landing?

Jul 1, 2019
I have a loan on the car, that I wish to drive to Canada during my Soft Landing. Is it OK?

I intend to put it on the items to follow list. Can I do that even if I have a loan on the car?

Or should I clear the loan before hand?

Also, I read here that I need to bring the title and the manufacture date from the inside door sill during my initial landing. Is that good enough or should I do any other steps?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I have a loan on the car, that I wish to drive to Canada during my Soft Landing. Is it OK?

I intend to put it on the items to follow list. Can I do that even if I have a loan on the car?

Or should I clear the loan before hand?

Also, I read here that I need to bring the title and the manufacture date from the inside door sill during my initial landing. Is that good enough or should I do any other steps?
You will not be allowed to export the car from the US unless you have a clear title (no loan). Canada won't allow you to import the car without the US export clearance.

So yes, you need to clear all loans/liens on your car before you attempt to move.

If you are only driving in for a few days and then returning to the US, that's OK, but the officer may well ask you lots of questions if you are putting the car on your goods to follow list. Be prepared to convince him that you aren't attempting to essentially smuggle the car into Canada.

Jul 1, 2019
What kind of questions am I looking at?

I am planning on buying a vehicle (Chrysler Pacifica van) this month and use it for my Soft Landing in November of this year. I plan on moving to Canada permanently after a year and half of my soft landing. I will clear the loan on the van during this time. Do you see any issues with this?

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
What kind of questions am I looking at?

I am planning on buying a vehicle (Chrysler Pacifica van) this month and use it for my Soft Landing in November of this year. I plan on moving to Canada permanently after a year and half of my soft landing. I will clear the loan on the van during this time. Do you see any issues with this?
Are you planning on buying a brand new vehicle? If you are, don't do it. Canadian Chrysler dealer would not honor the factory warranty.

Jul 1, 2019
Are you planning on buying a brand new vehicle? If you are, don't do it. Canadian Chrysler dealer would not honor the factory warranty.
That is surprising. I thought the warranty was for entire North America. Let me check on that. Thanks for the information.