+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I go for my Citizenship? ( Need Advice from a Lawyer )

FrankieJJJ

Mar 16, 2018
Hey Guys,

Was Sponsored as a PR Under Common Law way back in 2010.
I received My PR In 2013 but unfortunately 6 months later the relationship fell apart and my partner left me for another person.

I've never asked for financial aid, never been unemployed, and basically I've just lived my life up until now.
My PR Travel document expires next year and I was thinking of applying for citizenship.

My concern is, when applying for citizenship do they actually care who I'm dating anymore?
There were no conditions on my PR Form ,and the last Imm lawyer I spoke to simply said " People break up , it happens ".

I just wasn't sure if they were interested in my martial status or whom I'm dating when applying for citizenship or not, from what I gather they are more interested in how long I've resided in Canada and If I've paid my taxes.

Is it worth me applying for my citizenship? Should I just stay a PR forever and never renew my travel documents? Should I wait a few more years before applying?

THanks Guys

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
so you are divorced?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
so you are divorced?
They were common law so not married in the legal sense

There are no lawyers by the way on this forum only members of the public sharing information.

Regardless of relationship status has the OP checked physical presence given if PR since 2013 then assume could at least possibly meet 3 of 5 year rule ?

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

For renewing a PR card that is down to the OP to show they meet the residency obligation and nothing to do with any relationship status past or present..

Last edited:

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hey Guys,

I received My PR In 2013 but unfortunately 6 months later the relationship fell apart and my partner left me for another person.

I've never asked for financial aid, never been unemployed, and basically I've just lived my life up until now.
My PR Travel document expires next year and I was thinking of applying for citizenship.

My concern is, when applying for citizenship do they actually care who I'm dating anymore?
There were no conditions on my PR Form ,and the last Imm lawyer I spoke to simply said " People break up , it happens ".

I just wasn't sure if they were interested in my martial status or whom I'm dating when applying for citizenship or not, from what I gather they are more interested in how long I've resided in Canada and If I've paid my taxes.

Is it worth me applying for my citizenship? Should I just stay a PR forever and never renew my travel documents? Should I wait a few more years before applying?

THanks Guys

If you need advice from a lawyer your should hire one. No lawyer can give advice on a forum like this, even if any hang out here.

If your PR was not conditional (if it was it would say so on your COPR) then your relationship stuff does not matter. At all.
If your PR was conditional you need to talk to a lawyer, as family sponsorship for a spouse usually had as a requirement that the partners cohabitate for two years (with some exceptions, such as domestic violence).

Reactions: vasvas

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you need advice from a lawyer your should hire one. No lawyer can give advice on a forum like this, even if any hang out here.

If your PR was not conditional (if it was it would say so on your COPR) then your relationship stuff does not matter. At all.
If your PR was conditional you need to talk to a lawyer, as family sponsorship for a spouse usually had as a requirement that the partners cohabitate for two years (with some exceptions, such as domestic violence).
Conditional PR was abolished, so it doesn't matter if OP had it or not.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey Guys,

THanks Guys
IRCC won't care who you are or are not dating. Relationships can end. Apply for citizenship.

Reactions: Stef.

FrankieJJJ

Mar 16, 2018
Take a look at this thread
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/need-a-pro.544384/

and be aware that this kind of inquiry could happen, whether or not you apply for citizenship.

Not sure what you can do about it at this point, other than making sure you don't destroy stuff that proves your relationship was real.

I am not a lawyer.
I read over that post.

Something seems odd. Guy was sponsored. Married. Divorced 2 years after becoming a PR. Has a kid, yet they ask him to prove his relationship was genuine??

Something seems really off there.

Maybe because his ex is sponsoring another person?
Maybe his citizenship application has diff details to his PR One? Hmm.

Well I was under the impression people break up, it happens :/

Mar 18, 2018
LANDED..........
Hey Guys,

THanks Guys

Use the IRCC page to check your eligibility, then if you totally meet the requirements, go ahead and apply.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/check-eligibility.asp?_ga=2.72611411.1915207926.1521420115-1719862017.1521420115

I wouldn't worry too much about a broken relationship, as long as you are not prohibited to receive the Oath of Citizenship or got mixed up in any criminality issues before you take the oath, you should be fine.

If IRCC has any questions about your past relationship, they will ask you, be honest. Goodluck.

sebbie

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
I read over that post.

Something seems odd. Guy was sponsored. Married. Divorced 2 years after becoming a PR. Has a kid, yet they ask him to prove his relationship was genuine??

Something seems really off there.

Maybe because his ex is sponsoring another person?
Maybe his citizenship application has diff details to his PR One? Hmm.

Well I was under the impression people break up, it happens :/
His ex sponsored someone else later. That could be what triggered it IMO.

FrankieJJJ

Mar 16, 2018
Use the IRCC page to check your eligibility, then if you totally meet the requirements, go ahead and apply.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/check-eligibility.asp?_ga=2.72611411.1915207926.1521420115-1719862017.1521420115

I wouldn't worry too much about a broken relationship, as long as you are not prohibited to receive the Oath of Citizenship or got mixed up in any criminality issues before you take the oath, you should be fine.

If IRCC has any questions about your past relationship, they will ask you, be honest. Goodluck.
Will do, Thankyou, I will apply this week.

His ex sponsored someone else later. That could be what triggered it IMO.
That's all I can think of to.
I've been looking over all facts online, he was within his right to get divorced ( I mean hey shit happens? ), If he is not a criminal and nobody contact Immigration and said something malicious / deceitful.

All I can keep thinking is the same, it must be because his ex is sponsoring another person

FrankieJJJ

Mar 16, 2018
My Biggest concern was just taxes.

I was doing my taxes as married for the years I was with my Ex, then when we broke up I put ' Single ' on my new taxes.
Wasn't sure if that was going to raise a red flag or not, from what I keep getting told they do not look if you are ' single ' or ' married ' on your taxes when you being accessed for citizenship, but I wasn't sure...

I just don't know how important the ' tax ' thing is, I mean did people who were married / common law put single for their taxes and get PR?