+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I get an RQ?

suwail

Star Member
Mar 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't have AOR yet but just curios if I will get an RQ on my application? My situation is all my family members (wife and kids) are already citizens, we landed here in Canada all together and then I went back to Abu Dhabi to work for a couple of months(14 months to be exact) while my family stayed with my sister's house.

I have travelled 3 times going back and forth from Canada to Abu Dhabi during that time, so all in all i have a total of 385 days abscenses.

Should I get an RQ on this? Any opinion will be much appreciated.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
suwail said:
I don't have AOR yet but just curios if I will get an RQ on my application? My situation is all my family members (wife and kids) are already citizens, we landed here in Canada all together and then I went back to Abu Dhabi to work for a couple of months(14 months to be exact) while my family stayed with my sister's house.

I have travelled 3 times going back and forth from Canada to Abu Dhabi during that time, so all in all i have a total of 385 days abscenses.

There are many reasons people can get an RQ. Here are some
Applicant Characteristics:

A1 – Use of a suspect residential address.
A2 – NCB in FOSS, Warning or Note(s) in GCMS indicating a concern.
A3 – Previous citizenship applications which were not approved, withdrawn, abandoned, renounced or revoked.
A4 – Discrepancy in absences between citizenship application and CIC information during the relevant 4 years period.
A5 – Self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed, with any travel during the relevant 4 year period.
A6 – Absences to home country to sell land/property or to take care of ill family member during the relevant 4 year period.
A7 – Applicant has self declared having less than 1095 days of physical presence.

Family Characteristics:

B1 – Child born outside Canada during the relevant 4 year period.
B2 – A child has made a non-concurrent minor application.

Documents

C1 – ID (provided in support of application) has been issued within 3 months of date of application.
C2 – Inconsistency between address on ID and address on application form.
C3 – Photograph and/or signature on the application do not resemble photograph and/or signature on identity document.
C4 – NPR time (non permanent resident time) has been used in the calculation of basic residence and the original entry data used does not appear on the IMM 1000, the Confirmation of Permanent Residence or in CIC records.

GCMS — Global Case Management System (new CIC computer system)
FOSS — Field Operations Support System (old CIC computer system)
NCB — Non-computer based entry
POE — Port of Entry
NPR time — Non-Permanent Resident time
Source: https://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/rq-risk-indicators/
One of the biggest problems is if there is a discrepancy between your declared travel dates and your ICES records (showing each date you entered the country) and passport stamps inspected during an interview. If you've been a PR for the whole six years, then you have 345 days extra, and that is a very safe margin.

suwail

Star Member
Mar 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the info. I will just wait and see what will happens next.

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
suwail said:
Thanks for the info. I will just wait and see what will happens next.
When u go to the citizenship test, take the entry/exit report issued from the UAE with u to prove that what u stated in the physical presence calculator is correct.

suwail

Star Member
Mar 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Loulou79 said:
When u go to the citizenship test, take the entry/exit report issued from the UAE with u to prove that what u stated in the physical presence calculator is correct.
Hi Loulou how and where can I get the entry/exit report can you please give me info how to obtain this report. Thank you.

walidraymond

Nov 11, 2014
hi all
suppose to apply for citizenship on December 2016
i have moved to Toronto this month and applied for new health card in Toronto,
when i will get my new health card and attached it as supporting document as ID with a date just a month before the application date!!!!
is that will lead to get RQ???
i am really worry...

suwail

Star Member
Mar 12, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
walidraymond said:
hi all
when i will get my new health card and attached it as supporting document as ID with a date just a month before the application date!!!!
i am really worry...
You should get your health card before December don't worry.

walidraymond

Nov 11, 2014
thanks SuWAIL for reply but my question is that when i will submit my application for citizenship in December and the health card issuwing date is November or December i will not raise a question mark or lead to RQ?

Loulou79

Apr 11, 2012
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
suwail said:
Hi Loulou how and where can I get the entry/exit report can you please give me info how to obtain this report. Thank you.
Either from the airport or the Immigration department in the UAE. It should be in English though. A friend of mine who was asked bu the immigration officer to submit it told me that it should be authenticated too.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
suwail said:

Overall, anyone might be issued requests for additional information or documentation, be that CIT 0520 or the full blown RQ: CIT 0171. There are many reasons why a particular applicant might be issued CIT 0520 or the full blown RQ: CIT 0171. There are more reasons than just those which appear on the face of the 2012 version of the File Requirements Checklist (FRC) in its list of "Triage Criteria," referenced and linked by frege as "risk indicators" derived from the wordpress site.

Many factors which might lead to RQ are beyond an applicant's control. From random quality control checks to unfortunate coincidences, even the most qualified applicants can be issued RQ. Thus, for example, any PR trying to assess when it is time for him or her to apply, just meeting the minimum presence requirement is only one factor among many to consider, and at the least it is prudent to not apply unless one has a comfortable margin over the minimum presence requirement and is prepared to submit, if it is requested, proof of place of abode and locale of activity (emphasis on employment) for all the relevant time period.

That said, there are a few factors within the applicant's control, factors which are more or less likely to trigger RQ but which the applicant can avoid. For example, as oft noted, discrepancies between declared dates of exit and entry, and actual dates of exit and entry, dramatically increase the risk of RQ. But all applicants have total control over this: they were there every time they exited Canada and every time they entered Canada, so each applicant has total control over accurately reporting every trip abroad.

In any event, there is no such thing as a RQ-proof application, which is to say there is no way to make an application which is guaranteed to avoid RQ.

There are a number of factors which will increase the risk of RQ, and some of these can be either avoided or minimized. Like avoiding mistakes in the presence calculation declarations.

Applicants who accurately report full time employment with a recognized Canadian employer, for employment at a workplace in Canada, and for a time period fully covering the minimum presence requirement, are perhaps among those with the lowest risk of RQ. For many immigrants, however, including me, this is not how things are, not how they have gone.

Recently issued identification:

A factor which emerges in the above discussion is recently issued identification.

There is a good chance that submitting identification issued within the three months prior to the date the application is made will not necessarily trigger RQ. Personally, however, my approach would be to wait to apply beyond this period of time (acknowledging some exceptions), since of course there are obvious reasons why recently issued identification inherently raises questions (and anyone not recognizing this is focused on innocent reasons why someone might have recently issued identification, overlooking the obvious: a recently issued drivers license or health care card might indicate someone recently relocated to Canada).

This leads to:

frege said:
There are many reasons people can get an RQ. Here are some Source:

https://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/rq-risk-indicators/

wordpress said:
A5 – Self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed, with any travel during the relevant 4 year period.

C1 – ID (provided in support of application) has been issued within 3 months of date of application.
One of the biggest problems is if there is a discrepancy between your declared travel dates and your ICES records (showing each date you entered the country) and passport stamps inspected during an interview.
CAUTION: This FRC Triage Criteria List is Out-of-Date

Bottom-line: it is unknown, publicly, what criteria IRCC is currently using to screen applications for what amounts to a reason-to-question-presence (under prior law this would be a reason-to-question-residency).

My personal assessment is that this list is close to the criteria being used to screen applications (and I have oft referred to it as a source), but the big unknown is how these criteria are applied to particular factual situations.

What the wordpress site further states, not referenced by frege, is the following:

"C1: Renewed IDs in 3 months (3,5,9) – likely not applicable anymore, confirmation that it was updated, but no update text (29)" (emphasis added)
see https://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/atip-releases/

Back in 2013 the author of the wordpress site and I openly disagreed about this. That discussion took place in a different forum.

My sense is that this criteria, among others in the Triage Criteria (listed in the FRC), was initially (summer 2012, in the rollout of OB-407) strictly applied, as a more or less on-off factor, and that the later changes did not entirely eliminate this criteria but modified the way it was assessed.

I also quoted the A5 factor, above, because this too was one of those factors clearly being strictly applied in the summer of 2012, but subject to at least a change in how it was being applied by early 2013.

For example, in the summer of 2012, both stay at home homemakers and students were being issued RQ because they were, technically, "unemployed," if they had any trips outside Canada at all during the entire relevant time period. That was profoundly draconian, at the least, and a huge waste of CIC resources since scores and scores of these applicants were qualified, making it a total waste of taxpayer money to drag them into prolonged processing involving the utilization of extensive CIC resources. Similarly for anyone reporting self-employment.

In any event, my sense is that recently issued identification probably gets some attention, but is then assessed in context, in relationship to other information in the application and other information known about the applicant. Thus, it is probably no longer a factor which absolutely triggers RQ, but it (again, my sense) is likely considered relative to other factors.

For the applicant who has changed address within Canada, and particularly one who has moved from one province to another, if this is apparent, there is no reason why the recently issued identification should trigger RQ. I cannot assure anyone that it will not. But most indicators suggest that few of the criteria are now being applied as strictly on-off criteria, and there were internal memos at CIC which tended to confirm, at the least, that some of the criteria such as this were not being so strictly applied (as noted, the parenthetical observation by the author of the wordpress site expressed doubt it was at all applied, and again this issue was discussed at length at another forum some three years ago).

Regarding the wordpress site generally:

There is a wealth of information regarding RQ, and processing related to RQ, still posted at the wordpress site. However, it is NOT current. In particular, the site is largely out-of-date, appears to not reflect any changes since early 2014, and overall does not reflect many changes since early 2013. Moreover, some of the posted information lacks important context. As I referenced, there is another forum, largely inactive these days, in which the underlying sources of information which populate much of the RQ related information at the wordpress site was discussed in real time, in depth, and at length, including observations made by the original sources of much of the information (such as the individual who obtained the copy of the FRC, in response to an ATIP application, which is the source of the wordpress site's list of "risk indicators").

There is some misinformation. Above I referenced some discussion at the site regarding internal CIC information. The wordpress site erroneously refers to the source of much of this information as obtained in response to ATIP applications. Actually most of it was obtained in response to ATI applications. The distinction between ATIP and ATI applications is important. For one thing, while a lot of the responses to ATI requests were openly shared online (again, at the least at the other forum), these responses are public information, once made and responded to, these all become accessible to anyone in Canada, and many of us (myself included) obtained these responses directly from CIC. The ATI process is the same as that employed by members of the Press to obtain information from the government.

But some of the information was indeed obtained by the ATIP process. This is personal. Only the individual affected can obtain these.

Which leads to the so-called "risk indicators." The wordpress list of "risk indicators" is copied from an ATIP response the affected individual shared online in the summer of 2012.

In particular, the wordpress list of "risk indicators" is taken from the April 2012 version of the File Requirements Checklist (FRC), which was part of the April 2012 version of OB - 407. It is likely that the form "File Requirements Checklist" is still in use and makes up part of every citizenship application file. However, a copy of this is not shared with applicants, not disclosed to applicants when they make the ATIP request.

But there was at least one exception, which is how this particular version came into the public domain, back in the summer of 2012. It is apparent the disclosure was inadvertent. Even after this version of the FRC was shared online, many forum participants were reporting that lawyers were saying that no one knows what criteria CIC were employing. Many of us knew differently. I am confident that many of those lawyers knew differently. But because the information was considered strictly confidential, lawyers were bound to not disclose this information (my guess is that they did divulge it, one way or another, to clients, which is to say paying customers, but not to just anyone asking, not just in consultation for example).

In the meantime, we know an amended version of the operational bulletin was issued later in 2012, OB - 407-B. We also know, as I referenced above, that there were changes made to the "risk indicators," or at least changes made in how the criteria were applied in the preliminary screening of applications that was implemented in the procedures prescribed by OB - 407.

Scores of participants in various forums, myself included, made ATI requests in the wake of OB-407. Much of this was shared in another forum. All of it, however, was directly accessible from CIC (once one person made a request and it was responded to, it was listed and anyone else could simply request a copy). The results of that research is a large part of why I delayed applying nearly a year and a half beyond the date I initially met the physical presence test.

At this juncture, however, all that is just one historical stage.

Moreover, OB-407 was a monstrosity of a program implemented by Minister Kenney, probably designed by one man, Benjamin Perrin, at the behest of PM Harper. It nearly crashed the whole citizenship application process. It is obvious that many changes have been implemented since.

But CIC, now IRCC, is a huge bureaucracy and institutional change on the scale of OB-407 is uncommon. My guess is that the basic procedural forms and elements created by OB-407 continue to be utilized, albeit reformed to implement the Bill C-24 changes, including those major procedural changes implemented August 1, 2014, and the big change in grant citizenship requirements (largely the 4/6 rule and related elements) implemented June 11, 2015.

Thus, my sense is that there is still a File Requirements Checklist (FRC), still largely (but not entirely) in the form shared in 2012, and that the triage criteria (or "risk indicators") are listed, in checklist form, in the FRC. Moreover, my guess is that the current criteria is at least similar to that in the 2012 version of the FRC, which is quoted from the wordpress site, where it is posted without proper attribution.

Leading to this query:

walidraymond said:
hi all
i am really worry...

walidraymond said:
thanks SuWAIL for reply but my question is that when i will submit my application for citizenship in December and the health card issuwing date is November or December i will not raise a question mark or lead to RQ?
As above noted, I doubt that item C1 in the FRC is now being applied strictly. Which is to say, I doubt that the mere fact one of the forms of identification submitted was issued less than three months prior to the application alone will trigger RQ. But I also suspect this is a factor which will be considered relative to other information.

Context: the individual's address and work history is a huge contextual factor, which in this situation may well reveal why the form of identification submitted (health care card) has only been recently issued. As in, given the recent move there is little or no reason to infer that the recently issued card reflects a possibility the individual recently returned to Canada. Good chance there will be no problem.

Nonetheless, personally I would still wait. I really do not understand the mentality of rushing the date of application, at least for those settled in Canada and intending to continue to stay settled in Canada. As I have noted before, and more than once, many applicants can probably become a citizen sooner by waiting longer to apply. Thus, while there are exceptions, for many or even most, there is no good reason to rush, no good reason for not waiting a little longer to apply.

I cannot give advice. But my suggestion is that anyone with recently issued identification would be prudent to wait to apply.

I would just note, as an example, I met the physical presence test for citizenship before the author of the wordpress site did. The author of the wordpress site, however, applied for citizenship a long time before I did. Ultimately I became a citizen much sooner.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
walidraymond said:
you are absolutely right, in your opinion wait one or two months after the 1400 days is enough?
This is an issue discussed at length in multiple topics. There is no one-size-fits-all answer.

There is of course the absolute minimum, and the absolute minimum is at the least a full two months "after the 1400 days," since the requirement itself is 1460 days, not 1400.

But as I noted above, passing the minimum threshold for being eligible is only one factor to consider. There are other factors to consider.

And the above discussion focuses on one other factor: a PR who has recently changed address and what impact that might have.

Let's be clear: The actual facts matter. Context matters. Appearance matters. Impression matters. And these vary a lot from one person to the next.

Scores of people are lax about formally changing their address for their drivers license or health care card. With no problem. But the citizenship applicant must accurately disclose dates for changes in address. So what impression is made if a person moved from one province to another but then did not do the formalities for a new drivers license or health care card right away? So the drivers license shows a date of issuance incongruous with other historical information? What impression might that make? As an isolated item, a solitary incongruity, probably no impact at all. But perhaps in conjunction with another odd detail here and there, and especially if there was, for example, a longer period of absence from Canada around the same time, such details can invite questions, leading to concerns, which could lead to doubts and problems.

The range of what-if scenarios is so great there is no way to map probable scenarios. The best anyone can offer is that any incongruities could invite questions leading to problems, the more salient or extensive the incongruity, the greater the risk. Inconsistencies, too, will invite questions, and it does not take many or much of an inconsistency to lead to real problems. And so on.

Not easy to describe even a general range of potential incongruities. And as I previously noted, there is a tendency to perceive our own situation in terms of innocent explanations, especially when the real explanation is indeed innocent. But the person at IRCC who is assessing the application and the applicant is not looking for innocent explanations: rather, it is a total stranger bureaucrat whose job it is to look for potential incongruities or inconsistencies.

Back to the recently issued identification: recently issued identification potentially indicates a PR who has been abroad and who has recently returned to Canada, and thus recently obtained a drivers license or health care card. Innocent explanations aside, recently returning to Canada is possibly the reason a PR's drivers license or health care was recently obtained.

In 2012 the recently issued identification was an automatic trigger for pre-test RQ. All applicants who applied and submitted a form of identification issued within the preceding three months was issued RQ.

It is apparent that by early 2013 this was no longer an automatic trigger. The author of the wordpress site had the view that this criteria was dropped entirely. My view was, and is still, that it is more likely the date the identification was issued is still considered, but that recently issued ID does not automatically trigger RQ. But we do not know.

This is to illuminate a tiny slice of the range in which context and appearance and impression can influence how things go. For the vast majority of us, the vast majority of those applying for citizenship, the totality of circumstances clearly indicate a life lived in Canada and support the declarations of travel dates: IRCC has little or no concern about the applicant having met the presence requirement. Most have no reason to worry about their application.

But sure, many immigrants do not have an easy time of it during the first years, let alone months, after coming to Canada. Life can be complicated. Many go through periods during which they do not have a stable residential address, periods of unemployment, and times during which they change cities, change jobs, and so on.

Each prospective applicant should take a close look at all the aspects of their life in Canada in making the decision about when it is time for them to apply. It is a very personal decision. Just getting past the 1460 day threshold is only one factor to consider. Way too many focus on just that threshold and suffer for it.

Sometimes waiting longer to apply is the faster route to citizenship. But when is the right time is very personal. No one here can reliably advise someone else when that time is.