+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I follow up about my application?

Home_13579

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
My spouse has sponsored me for my PR and I'm waiting for the progress. Outland application. It has been 12 months since we sent application. Should I follow up? I've read several news that says:

Immigration lawyers say cases like Sehgal's can create a vicious cycle: the more applicants follow up and inquire about their applications, the longer it can take to get them processed because immigration officials need to address those follow-ups, splitting their time between answering inquiries and getting applications processed.

This is another example of it:
Canadian father struggling to get his baby into the country | CBC News

Could someone please advise?

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
My spouse has sponsored me for my PR and I'm waiting for the progress. Outland application. It has been 12 months since we sent application. Should I follow up? ...
This suggests 12 months of silence, but, elsewhere you posted that you have been in background check since August 23. As well, in another thread you were recently advised to order GCMS notes. Did you? That's a form of follow up. I would do that first and see if the notes tell you anything.

While generally writing to an MP is a nuisance to them and a waste of time for you, if your application had been in process for longer them the posted processing time, you can ask your MP to inquire. They can't do much more than ask about delay.

Reactions: Home_13579

Home_13579

Star Member
Nov 28, 2022
This suggests 12 months of silence, but, elsewhere you posted that you have been in background check since August 23. As well, in another thread you were recently advised to order GCMS notes. Did you? That's a form of follow up. I would do that first and see if the notes tell you anything.

While generally writing to an MP is a nuisance to them and a waste of time for you, if your application had been in process for longer them the posted processing time, you can ask your MP to inquire. They can't do much more than ask about delay.
Thank you for reply! I have been in background check since August 2023. I sent my application in March 2023, so it's not 12-month silence. I've contacted my MP and they will check the latest status update for me. so that's why I didn't request GCMS notes myself because they will inquire it anyway. Yes, my application had been in process for longer than the posted processing time (12 months for outland applications), so hopefully my MP will inquire and get more information about why there's delay.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for reply! I have been in background check since August 2023. I sent my application in March 2023, so it's not 12-month silence. I've contacted my MP and they will check the latest status update for me. so that's why I didn't request GCMS notes myself because they will inquire it anyway. Yes, my application had been in process for longer than the posted processing time (12 months for outland applications), so hopefully my MP will inquire and get more information about why there's delay.
Posted processing times are just average estimates. If you are around 12 months and you have been going through normal steps for processing there is not much that will happen if you contact your MP. No point of contacting MP until your processing time is much longer than average. Ordering GCMS notes if you wanted to do something would have been a better option than contacting your MP if others are in a similar situation.

Would also assume you may face additional scrutiny since you have not lived with your spouse for many years and even renounced their PR while you were married. How much time have you spent in Canada in the past 5 years? When did you both get PR and how much time have you spent together since then? How many days in Canada? How often do you visit each other per year?

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
What younger from gcms notes is different than from mp. it may or may not tell you much, but very much different.