+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should i file my 2019 tax returns if i have been abroad since early 2019?

Apr 5, 2020
I am PR for your reference.
If it is not necessary then Iam thinking passing this time because it is not easy for me to
file electronically when you are not physically present in Canada.
if i have to file then, what is the easiest way for me to do so?
i am flying back to canada soon thou but i cannot make it by the new deadline for 2019 tax return filing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am PR for your reference.
If it is not necessary then Iam thinking passing this time because it is not easy for me to
file electronically when you are not physically present in Canada.
if i have to file then, what is the easiest way for me to do so?
i am flying back to canada soon thou but i cannot make it by the new deadline for 2019 tax return filing.
If you are not a tax resident then you don’t have to file. You will need to look at your situation and what ties you have to Canada. If you need help determining if you are a resident or non-resident for tax purposes CRA can determine this for you.

Apr 5, 2020
If you are not a tax resident then you don’t have to file. You will need to look at your situation and what ties you have to Canada. If you need help determining if you are a resident or non-resident for tax purposes CRA can determine this for you.

First of all, thanks for your reply.
but what do you mean by... “cra determine this for you”? are you saying they will notify me of that...? if that’s the case, then it would be very convenient for me... how am i supposed to contact them to get some help with this? can you please be more specific? thanks in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
First of all, thanks for your reply.
but what do you mean by... “cra determine this for you”? are you saying they will notify me of that...? if that’s the case, then it would be very convenient for me... how am i supposed to contact them to get some help with this? can you please be more specific? thanks in advance
No you have to contact them. I would google and look at more information about being a resident or non-resident for tax purposes. Do you have any investments in Canada, spouse/children in Canada, house in Canada, etc,? Did you spend less than 6 months in Canada in 2019?

Apr 5, 2020
No you have to contact them. I would google and look at more information about being a resident or non-resident for tax purposes. Do you have any investments in Canada, spouse/children in Canada, house in Canada, etc,? Did you spend less than 6 months in Canada in 2019?

Thanks for further explanation.
I don’t have any sorts of investment in Canada including housing or real estate except for my own bank account.

I spent only 2 months in 2019 since i left Canada in early 2019, and i have not gone back to Canada.