+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I extend my tourist visa for the 2nd time? Advice Pls!

catharine05

Feb 20, 2018
Hi everyone! In need of urgent advice.

I just received an approval today for the extension that I applied for in November. This is my situation:

I came to Canada last June, I've been in Canada for 8 months now. I initially came as a tourist but like many, I met someone (in my case, my best friend of 7 years and now we've been together for 6 months) and I'd like to stay and spend time with my boyfriend. My bf and I live together and would like to apply for common law in September (it will be 1 year since we moved in together).

Last November, I applied for an extension but only applied for until March. Today I received an approval but the problem is I only got a Visitor record valid until March 5! So, what I want to do is:

- Apply for another extension and hopefully they grant me 6 months so I can apply for common law after.

But the problem is my multiple entry expires in June 2018 (they only granted me a year since my passport expires in June as well). I renewed my passport already from the embassy here and I was hoping to apply for extension with my new passport. Can I do that? I really want to stay because my bf leaves soon, he's joining the army training in September too. We're both really stressed out :(

Just additional info:
I work remotely so I do make some money (about $1000 a month) but my parents also financially support me.
I'm a distance learning student. My exams are in May/June, when i applied for an extension, I told them that I would go back home and take my exams there. But now that I want to stay with my bf, I'd like to take my exams here because they have a centre here but I don't know if that'll help my case. Also, I'm 23 and my bf is 23 as well. If that's relevant.

Please help!!

catharine05

Feb 20, 2018
I also just found out that I can only apply to extend my TRV from outside Canada. Can someone tell me what my options are and how can I apply to extend my TRV and status from within?

catharine05

Feb 20, 2018
Hi everyone,
I called CIC today and got information that I can apply for a NEW TRV from within even as a tourist as long as I do it 90 days before my TRV is expiring. I don't know if that's correct, has anyone here done that before?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone! In need of urgent advice.

I just received an approval today for the extension that I applied for in November. This is my situation:

I came to Canada last June, I've been in Canada for 8 months now. I initially came as a tourist but like many, I met someone (in my case, my best friend of 7 years and now we've been together for 6 months) and I'd like to stay and spend time with my boyfriend. My bf and I live together and would like to apply for common law in September (it will be 1 year since we moved in together).

Last November, I applied for an extension but only applied for until March. Today I received an approval but the problem is I only got a Visitor record valid until March 5! So, what I want to do is:

- Apply for another extension and hopefully they grant me 6 months so I can apply for common law after.

But the problem is my multiple entry expires in June 2018 (they only granted me a year since my passport expires in June as well). I renewed my passport already from the embassy here and I was hoping to apply for extension with my new passport. Can I do that? I really want to stay because my bf leaves soon, he's joining the army training in September too. We're both really stressed out :(

Just additional info:
I work remotely so I do make some money (about $1000 a month) but my parents also financially support me.
I'm a distance learning student. My exams are in May/June, when i applied for an extension, I told them that I would go back home and take my exams there. But now that I want to stay with my bf, I'd like to take my exams here because they have a centre here but I don't know if that'll help my case. Also, I'm 23 and my bf is 23 as well. If that's relevant.

Please help!!
Hi

You can apply for another extension. Be sure to state that the purpose is to become common-law with your partner to apply for sponsorship.

The validity of your TRV has nothing to do with your status in Canada. You only need a valid TRV to travel to Canada.

catharine05

Feb 20, 2018
Hi

You can apply for another extension. Be sure to state that the purpose is to become common-law with your partner to apply for sponsorship.

The validity of your TRV has nothing to do with your status in Canada. You only need a valid TRV to travel to Canada.
Hi, thanks for your reply! Do you think I could apply and and say 'explore our relationship more' instead of going the common law right away? I was thinking to go the common law route in September once we've complete 1 year in our lease.

My TRV is expiring in June 2018, don't I have to renew/apply for another one?

Sorry, this is just really confusing. Would appreciate your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, thanks for your reply! Do you think I could apply and and say 'explore our relationship more' instead of going the common law right away? I was thinking to go the common law route in September once we've complete 1 year in our lease.

My TRV is expiring in June 2018, don't I have to renew/apply for another one?

Sorry, this is just really confusing. Would appreciate your help!
"Becoming common-law" is the better option. It doesn't mean that you are required to apply for sponsorship.

As I said, a TRV simply allows you to travel to Canada and has nothing to do with status.

catharine05

Feb 20, 2018
"Becoming common-law" is the better option. It doesn't mean that you are required to apply for sponsorship.

As I said, a TRV simply allows you to travel to Canada and has nothing to do with status.
Ah, okay. So, I will apply for an extension and say that we've been living together. I will take my exams here and somehow prove that I will leave after my granted stay/my ties home? Isn't applying for common law contradicting?

Regarding the TRV, it doesn't matter whether it's expired as long as I have a valid VR? I am planning to go home in August, that means I have to apply for a new one then?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ah, okay. So, I will apply for an extension and say that we've been living together. I will take my exams here and somehow prove that I will leave after my granted stay/my ties home? Isn't applying for common law contradicting?

Regarding the TRV, it doesn't matter whether it's expired as long as I have a valid VR? I am planning to go home in August, that means I have to apply for a new one then?
IRCC is quite lenient with people who are intending to apply for sponsorship.

Note that if you are trying to become common-law, you should not be leaving in August.

Yes, you would require a new TRV if you leave Canada and want to return.

catharine05

Feb 20, 2018
IRCC is quite lenient with people who are intending to apply for sponsorship.

Note that if you are trying to become common-law, you should not be leaving in August.

Yes, you would require a new TRV if you leave Canada and want to return.
I need to leave for August because of a wedding in the family. Would it be a valid reason for extension if I just want to extend until July and say to spend more time with my partner so as to achieve common law status in the future? Or would that be risking?

When I go home in August, I will only be gone for 2 weeks. I am willing to apply for another TRV and apply for the common law once I'm back in Canada. By then, I can apply for the sponsorship, right?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I need to leave for August because of a wedding in the family. Would it be a valid reason for extension if I just want to extend until July and say to spend more time with my partner so as to achieve common law status in the future? Or would that be risking?

When I go home in August, I am willing to apply for another TRV and apply for the common law once I'm back in Canada. By then, we will just have to live together for a month before I can apply for the sponsorship, right?
Don't mention leaving in August. Just ask for the extension to become common-law.

If you do go back in August, you should limit your stay to 2 weeks max. Anything more, especially that close to the one year mark, is risky. Ensure that you have a new TRV BEFORE you leave; if you don't, it is almost guaranteed that you won't have it in time to return to Canada to become common-law.

catharine05

Feb 20, 2018
Don't mention leaving in August. Just ask for the extension to become common-law.

If you do go back in August, you should limit your stay to 2 weeks max. Anything more, especially that close to the one year mark, is risky. Ensure that you have a new TRV BEFORE you leave; if you don't, it is almost guaranteed that you won't have it in time to return to Canada to become common-law.
How can I apply for a TRV before leaving? I read online that I have to have a valid worker/studnet permit although the person I spoke to from CIC said that I can apply for a new TRV from within, 90 days before it expires.

catharine05

Feb 20, 2018

Sorry, I forgot to ask, I will have to apply for extension of more than 6 months right? Because September is 6 months from now. Would that be an issue?

Vickielimhf

Oct 13, 2018
Can you kindly update your experience with extending your visitor visa for second time? I'm waiting for marriage cert in Ontario and my visitor visa only extends my stay until Feb.

th_10

Oct 5, 2017
^ So glad I found this thread (by googling lol). My fiancé is going through a similar situation, he extended his visitor visa but ended up receiving a one month extension - expiring mid February and our plan was to get married at the end of February and I can then begin the application process to sponsor him inland.

Should my fiancé try to extend again and state the reason for extension is to begin the process of sponsorship?? Please advise.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
^ So glad I found this thread (by googling lol). My fiancé is going through a similar situation, he extended his visitor visa but ended up receiving a one month extension - expiring mid February and our plan was to get married at the end of February and I can then begin the application process to sponsor him inland.

Should my fiancé try to extend again and state the reason for extension is to begin the process of sponsorship?? Please advise.
Yes. Pay the $1040 PR fees and include the receipt with the extension app.