+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I drop my courses? Please help!

Sep 4, 2018
Hi

I was supposed to start my freshmen year of college yesterday but my study permit seems to be taking way too long and due to that reason I've already missed my first class/es. When I applied for the study permit I wrote that my classes would start on September 4th and the duration of my degree would be 4 years. Now that I've already missed my first day of classes I'm considering dropping all my courses for my first semester - aka Fall Semester because I have no idea how long my visa processing will take. If I do drop my courses I'll still be registered for the winter semester classes. Would it be okay if I dropped all my courses for my fall semester? Will it affect my study permit process since the information I wrote in my study permit application won't be correct anymore and I would be starting in winter semester instead of fall semester?

Oh and I'd also like to mention that my letter of acceptance/offer of admission from the university says that either Fall (september) 2018 OR Winter (january) 2019 are my Start Terms

Last edited:

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I believe you will need to defer your admission till next intake, you probably wont be allowed to drop first semester, if you haven't talked to your school yet then they might cancel your admission since you did not attend classes.

Reactions: dazedandconfuzed
Sep 4, 2018
I believe you will need to defer your admission till next intake, you probably wont be allowed to drop first semester, if you haven't talked to your school yet then they might cancel your admission since you did not attend classes.

Hi. Thank you so much for your reply. I've already talked to my school and they said I can certainly drop my fall term courses and just stay registered for the winter term courses for now, which will eventually become my first semester after I drop my fall term courses. I'm just worried that it might affect my visa processing and lead to refusal.