+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I delay landing?

WorkerInCanada123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Montreal, Quebec
Hey everyone!

I just received my COPR (yay!), but I'm trying to think strategically as to when I land (currently living in Canada), as I am travelling back home mid-October for my brothers wedding. Based on the current processing times for initial PR cards (61 days) + a week for postage, I should make it but it's cutting it fine.

I am from a visa-exempt country and I read that travelling back to Canada with your passport and COPR is sufficient to gain re-entry at the border (specifically for those from a visa-expempt country)? Does anyone know if this is true? Travelling back by car is not an option as flights already booked and I'm travelling overseas. It's a hassle to get the travel documents so I'd prefer to not go that route.

I'd also prefer not to land when I fly back in October as I'll be traveling solo with my 18 month old toddler and the 26 hour+ journey will be hectic enough as it is, I can't stand the thought of waiting another couple of hours in immigration!

Any advice as to whether I should flagpole ASAP or just delay landing to be on the safe side would be most appreciated!

Thank you!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am from a visa-exempt country and I read that travelling back to Canada with your passport and COPR is sufficient to gain re-entry at the border (specifically for those from a visa-expempt country)? Does anyone know if this is true?
Thank you!
I only have answer for one of your questions. This is not true. Unless you are from USA (then you don't need eTA), you cannot get on any flight with just your passport and COPR. You will need either an eTA (which is not an option because you will be a PR by then if you landed before heading back) or your PR card or a PRTD (apply outside of Canada from where you will travel back from but some locations take a long time for the process) and in all options, you will need your passport.

Last edited:

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Based on the current processing times for initial PR cards (61 days) + a week for postage, I should make it but it's cutting it fine.
DO NOT rely on the quoted processing times! When our was processed, they were saying 47 days. Ended up taking 3 months and no they didn't ask for additional information. Use their times as a very rough guide only.

I am from a visa-exempt country and I read that travelling back to Canada with your passport and COPR is sufficient to gain re-entry at the border (specifically for those from a visa-expempt country)? Does anyone know if this is true?
Not correct. Your problem is with the airline who will NOT allow you to board the flight without your passport (of course) and EITHER a PR Card or a PRTD. Once you have declared PR, you are PR and cannot then have an ETA.

Travelling back by car is not an option as flights already booked and I'm travelling overseas.
Shame as that is what I was going to suggest as a fallback option. Fly back to the US and have someone pick you up by car and drive across the border.

It's a hassle to get the travel documents so I'd prefer to not go that route.
Yes it is a hassle, but you may have no other choice.

I'd also prefer not to land when I fly back in October as I'll be traveling solo with my 18 month old toddler and the 26 hour+ journey will be hectic enough as it is, I can't stand the thought of waiting another couple of hours in immigration!
Your choice.

Any advice as to whether I should flagpole ASAP or just delay landing to be on the safe side would be most appreciated!
Entirely your decision! Do NOT rely on getting your PR Card back in time as that pretty much guarantees that you wont. Personally, I would either land in October (but DO check the expiry date of your CoPR as it may expire before then) OR change my flights now so they go to and from the US.

Reactions: WorkerInCanada123

WorkerInCanada123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Montreal, Quebec
Thanks everyone for your replies! My COPR expires in Jan 2019 so I do have the option to land in October.

So if I was to change my flight to go via the US, I could go and flagpole ASAP and then even if my PR card doesn't arrive in time then I would still be able to cross back into Canada by car?

Something else I didn't mention - I am here on a closed work permit until 2020. Does that get cancelled as soon as I activate my PR? i.e. I couldn't use that to re-enter Canada?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Thanks everyone for your replies! My COPR expires in Jan 2019 so I do have the option to land in October.
You have an embarrassment of choices! OR you could do a quick day trip from Canada to the US, drive across the border, do some shopping and come back and activate your CoPR between October and January.

So if I was to change my flight to go via the US, I could go and flagpole ASAP and then even if my PR card doesn't arrive in time then I would still be able to cross back into Canada by car?
Yes. Once you get to the Canadian border, the CBSA agents can see your copy CoPR and that you now have PR and will let you in. The problem with airlines is that they do not have access to the CBSA system, so they have to go by the rules that CBSA set. You would of course presumably need a US ESTA etc.

Something else I didn't mention - I am here on a closed work permit until 2020. Does that get cancelled as soon as I activate my PR? i.e. I couldn't use that to re-enter Canada?
Well it isn't relevant once you have landed and declared PR / activated your CoPR - as you can take your copy stamped CoPR into any Services Canada office and get a permanent SIN number. Once you have that you can work anywhere in Canada, no 'work permit' required as your are PR.

Reactions: WorkerInCanada123

WorkerInCanada123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Montreal, Quebec
You have an embarrassment of choices! OR you could do a quick day trip from Canada to the US, drive across the border, do some shopping and come back and activate your CoPR between October and January.

Yes. Once you get to the Canadian border, the CBSA agents can see your copy CoPR and that you now have PR and will let you in. The problem with airlines is that they do not have access to the CBSA system, so they have to go by the rules that CBSA set. You would of course presumably need a US ESTA etc.

Well it isn't relevant once you have landed and declared PR / activated your CoPR - as you can take your copy stamped CoPR into any Services Canada office and get a permanent SIN number. Once you have that you can work anywhere in Canada, no 'work permit' required as your are PR.
Great, thank you!!!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
What does flagpole mean?
Going to the Canadian / US border, exiting the Canadian side, then saying to the US border guard that you don't actually want to enter the US, simply return to Canada for immigration purposes. The US guys will then allow you to turn the car around and re-enter Canada, but it doesn't count as a 'refusal' to enter the US.

Alternatively, just spend a day shopping and sightseeing on the US side, the return to Canada.

mastiff78

May 8, 2018
My wife also just received her COPR today! Since her COPR is valid till May next year, and she is planning to join me sometime in March next year due to work commitment. In the meantime, when she visits me on her off days, does she have to declare that she already has COPR or just tell CBSA that she is visiting her husband for few days? What do you think is a good option? Land when she visits me next time and then return back after few days? Or just land when she is finally packed and ready to join me?
Any idea how long it takes to finish landing paperwork at the bridge crossing?