+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I correct details in eCOPR now or later?

mantrip84

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
Hello Friends,

My eCOPR got expired last month and I got my Canada PR card 8 months back. In my child's eCOPR, his date of birth was mentioned wrong.
However, his PR Card had correct date of birth. So, I didn't paid much attention to it as I thought eCOPR is a temporary document.
I am planning to travel outside Canada (to India) and so had a generic query and called customer care. To my surprise they had wrong date of birth for my child in their system.
On further digging they found that date of birth is correct in application and PR card but wrong in eCOPR.
So my question is:
1. Should I raise a request to correct date of birth in eCOPR even thought its expired?
2. Will there be any impact for me coming back to Canada, even thought all details are correct in PR Card.

Will appreciate all your inputs. Thank you in advance.

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Hello Friends,

My eCOPR got expired last month and I got my Canada PR card 8 months back. In my child's eCOPR, his date of birth was mentioned wrong.
However, his PR Card had correct date of birth. So, I didn't paid much attention to it as I thought eCOPR is a temporary document.
I am planning to travel outside Canada (to India) and so had a generic query and called customer care. To my surprise they had wrong date of birth for my child in their system.
On further digging they found that date of birth is correct in application and PR card but wrong in eCOPR.
So my question is:
1. Should I raise a request to correct date of birth in eCOPR even thought its expired?
2. Will there be any impact for me coming back to Canada, even thought all details are correct in PR Card.

yes you should correct and no this should not have any impact on your ability to return to Canada

mantrip84

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
yes you should correct and no this should not have any impact on your ability to return to Canada
Thank for the response.
Just for my clarity, should I correct it now or should I come back and correct it. I understand eCOPR is the only document remaining after citizenship, but is there any timeline by which it should be done?

Thanks again in advance. Its very tough to get through customer care, so asking here on forums.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hello Friends,

So my question is:

It is better you do it now so as to face problems later. In the citizenship process you need these docs and you never know when it will create a headache.

mantrip84

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
It is better you do it now so as to face problems later. In the citizenship process you need these docs and you never know when it will create a headache.
Thank you for the response. However even if I submit request now , it will not be amended by next 1-2 months. So will this document update which will be in process for next many months , will affect my travel outside Canada and coming back in ? I still have 2 years left for applying for citizenship. So I can amend the document after I come back from India. Please advise if this is right step?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Thank you for the response. However even if I submit request now , it will not be amended by next 1-2 months. So will this document update which will be in process for next many months , will affect my travel outside Canada and coming back in ? I still have 2 years left for applying for citizenship. So I can amend the document after I come back from India. Please advise if this is right step?
See if you ask my opinion I would keep world on one side and IRCC on another. I would go for putting up a request for changes the moment I notice it. It is not an easy process to get PR it takes almost your life, then why to risk it. I would delay my travel.

mantrip84

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
See if you ask my opinion I would keep world on one side and IRCC on another. I would go for putting up a request for changes the moment I notice it. It is not an easy process to get PR it takes almost your life, then why to risk it. I would delay my travel.
I agree your point about prioritizing it. However the travel if for an urgency (parents operation ) and so cannot be postponed. At best I can do it is submit documents and go , but will not be getting notice as it’s taking weeks or months to get one with papers appointment. That’s why was thinking this way.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I agree your point about prioritizing it. However the travel if for an urgency (parents operation ) and so cannot be postponed. At best I can do it is submit documents and go , but will not be getting notice as it’s taking weeks or months to get one with papers appointment. That’s why was thinking this way.
Fair enough. Submit it and go as you said.